8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Speaker connected Elmo ST-1200 HD MO

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Speaker connected Elmo ST-1200 HD MO
Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2009 06:17 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

I have a question for you, how I connect two speakers to the Elmo ST-1200 HD MO
With most projectors it goes fine,I would not know how,any of you know this?
I want to get connected to my receiver.

Thanks,

Jeroen.

[ February 07, 2009, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Jeroen van Ooijen ]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 07, 2009 08:23 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean by boxes? If you want to go to the receiver, get two 3.5 jacks out of the "monitor" sockets on the back of the machine, into the receiver preferably the "phono" channel. Always turn amp on after projector's been turned on and always turn it off before projector's to be turned off, that will prevent any damage to your speaker.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2009 08:38 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,
The "phono" inputs would usually be for a magnetic phono pickup and be about the 3-5 mV level, with RIAA equalisation. The inputs should be either "Line in" or "Aux in" (although Elmo Monitor socket outlets are a bit low for these) or "Microphone" inputs with suitable attentuators.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 07, 2009 09:03 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin, in theory, yes. As you say, the monitors can be a tad low. My Super 8 projectors ar all connected this way to the stereo amp and the result is quite spectacular (it is to change soon as one of the input on my Dolby processor will be reserved for super 8 and 16). I guess Jeroen has to see what works with his gear.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2009 09:55 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry boxes is in dutch,i mean speakers. [Wink]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2009 10:19 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Elmo has only one speaker output(i.e MONO). The specification will give it's output impedance in ohms.
The speakers also have an impedance in ohms which should be printed somewhere on the case.
If you connect the speakers in parallel the resulting impedance will be half of the individual value.
If you connect them in series the resulting impedance will be twice the individual value.
WHICHEVER OF THOSE TWO CONNECTIONS GIVES AN IMPEDANCE EQUAL TO OR GREATER THAN THE ELMO VALUE SHOULD BE USED.
Please note: pay attention to polarity when connecting in either mode; incorect polarity will not harm the speakers but will result in extreme reductions in volume!
Martin

[ February 07, 2009, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Martin Jones ]

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2009 04:04 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay,thank you all!

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 07, 2009 05:26 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
The Elmo ST1200HD like most of the Elmo range like an 8 ohm load or higher. As most extension speakers are about 8 ohm in impedance they should be wired in series. This will present the Elmo a 16 ohm load which wont hurt the amplifier.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2009 10:10 PM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about just connecting a pair of computer speakers into the headphone jack, like cheap Altec Lansings?

That way you get a little amp, tone controls, subwoofer, the works. Don't those systems also automatically compensate for impedance mismatches?

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 09, 2009 04:14 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that would work OK. I have dont that myself with great results. [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2009 07:39 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody,it's a long time ago,but are this speakers ok for the Elmo ST1200 HD?they say that they are 8 ohm.
And where can i put it in?

Thanks!

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2009 10:44 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry something went wrong i want to know in watts,can i connect my ElmoST1200 on my computerspeakers and how much watt
each speaker!

--------------------

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2009 10:53 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It makes no difference what you connect the computer speakers to, the number of watts you will get from each speaker is the figure marked on the back of the speakers.
So if the speakers are marked 10 watts RMS maximum, you will get 10 watts at full volume.
If it does not say "RMS", then it depends on what it says instead... "PEAK" or "PMPO" etc.
Refer back for an interpretation.
Martin

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2009 11:48 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone experience with this?and if i make 2 monoplugs
one for left one for right and two speakers ofcourse and i use the moni's on the back the moni is official for the headphone.
And how much is the max watt each speaker. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2009 03:26 AM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the ST-1200 is not stereo machine, it's a two-track, and most of the time you will only be using track 1, so just plug the computer speakers into the headphone or moni jack-- you'll need an adaptor-- and it will take it up into both speakers, in mono of course.

Any computer speaker system will probvide plenty of volume for normal use. The idea of using these kind of speakers is that it's mickey-mouse, yes, but it works fairly decently as an easy approach. I've even connected comp. speakers to a good stereo system as extensions in another room, through the headphone jack, and was surprised at how good they sounded.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC