8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8mm in GREEK language or subtittles (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Super 8mm in GREEK language or subtittles
Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2009 04:33 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody knows something about super 8mm film in Greek language or Greek subtitles? I am not talking about amature travel films, but for company productions. Any inf?

|  IP: Logged

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2009 05:17 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Antoni,

& welcome to the forum :)Whereabout in Athens do you live?
....To the best of my knowledge there were very,very few films subtitled in Greek-once I saw a Robin Hood film box-but don't know if it was the Erol Flynn classic or a b-movie- which had on it 'Greek subtitles' written- in Greek-. It's the only time I remember having seen such a thing; maybe some elder Greek Forum members know a bit more on this?
Another issue is, Greek movies on 8mm-still very few....

--------------------
Yannis

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2009 10:03 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yanni,
thank you very much for the welcome. I am a beginner. I started only one year ago but I love the idea of small format movie playing very much! I have some good reels for me, my wife and of course my kids that they loved it! Like father like sons.
I am trying to find Greek movies in super 8mm but I think this is almost impossible. The only item I have found until now was "Adventures of Sinbad" - "Oi peripeteies tou Sinbad" in a box with Greek titles. The box was nice with the Greek letters but the movie was in English without even subtitles. So I did not buy it. Feel free to mail me, or to visit me in facebook. All of our talking must be through the forum so everybody can read and learn and participate in the exchange of information.
By the way, Nea Smyrnh.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2009 05:26 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yanis,my little boy,I don't know whom are you insinuating as an "elder Greek Forum member",since you are an older member of the Forum, (and the first Greek to join !!!) but I can add my two cents worth of knowledge to the subject.

The (spotty and miserable) history of Greek 8mm film production hasn't been written,yet. Basically it was one guy,Fanis Coulouris,officially a film distributor with an office at the well known "Greek Hollywood" building at 98 Akadimias street ,at Kanningos square,Athens,operating under his banner FAN FILM.In addition,operating from his home kitchen,or it was bathroom,he produced and sold 8mm films "With Greek Subtitles"!!! What he did,was to take worn, thrown out prints that had extended their useful life ,literary from the distributors' garbage cans,and make 8 mm prints out of them.They were dark,contrasty, fuzzy,with a furry frame and hair dancing around,but, they did have "Greek Subtitles"! His list included four Three Stooges,five Hugh Herberts and one Quillan and Vernon comedies,several cartoons,including a few Tom and Jerrys and several feature "extracts".This means, the "parts" he had saved,started suddenly and ended suddenly,in mid-action or whenever.In addition,he filmed "travelogues",to be sold in kiosques and touristic areas,that were as amateurish as they can be.Two examples that I have,are 50 ft reels in 100 ft specially made boxes. The feature extracts included TARZAN THE APEMAN (Weissmuller),THE THREE MUSKETEERS (Jeff Stone),ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (Flynn) and at least six Greek films.A number of the above,including the Greek films,are sound copies.All are in b&w.He operated from about the mid sixties to the mid seventies (?) Since they weren't advertised at all,being illegal,one must look hard to find them in the flea market,or wherever.I myself,have seen very few,hiring them from the film libraries of the time.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2009 02:38 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

it looks like "Tango of Perversion" (alias "Tango 2001" or "Tango della perversione") by Costas Karagiannis is available as a full-length-super8-feature:
http://www.die-besten-horrorfilme.de/horror/film914-Tango-of-Perversion.csp
However the article only mentions Super8-prints with English soundtrack (and without any subtitles)...

Jörg

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2009 01:30 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS in Greek then? Hehehe...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2009 06:39 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antoni,
I wish you many years of fun with our hobby,quite as many as I have had-only 25 so far....are you in Facebook then? Good-I'll add you to my friends with your permission; actually it could be a good idea for Forum members to form a Facebook group...
had no idea about Sindbad,but as our friend Takhs took over,I can only stay aside,silent and -once again-impressed by his limitless knowledge of the film world [Eek!]
(...by the way, my good Takh, the 'elder' I used refers to age,not membership at the Forum;of course I've been a member well before you,but the word to use in that case is 'senior' member,while 'elder' refers to age,not membership. I stop here 'cause I don't wanna turn this into an English lesson-I've shown off enough already [Roll Eyes]
....on something more to the point:very useful info you gave here-I thought only one or two Greek films were released on S-8, but,like you say yourself,I'm but a little boy,how could I know better [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Yannis

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2009 06:27 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boy Yani,despite my limited knowledge of the English language, I do know the difference between "older' and "elder".I just tried to make an unfortunate joke,which turned against me [Frown]
But then....as this is a film forum and limitless knowledge of the film world is more important than vast knowledge of the English language, well.. I don't feel so bad [Razz]
And now,back to a few more bits from my limitless knowledge !!
There was another 8mm producer,releasing as FLECTA FILMS of whom I know next to nothing. He is supposed to have released at least two Greek features,one being a big hit from 1958,DIAKOPES STIN EGINA (Vacation in Aegina), with Greece's greatest star,Aliki Vougiouklaki,on her rise to stardom,plus several extracts .I have never seen any other titles or catalogues.I have only one extract from the above,a two reeler,which is numbered 32/50.So,at least we know that he made 50 copies of this one.It is in super 8 ,so, it must have been released at least in the late sixties.

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2009 02:18 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear fellow members. Too much information, in so little time! I really feel the need to say a huge thank you! I just popped up a question and the answers were full of rare information. I can understand that you are expert members with knowledge and a great love about films. I hope to keep this “Greek” topic alive and bring more friends.
Thank you Yani.
Panayoti thank you, master. RESPECT.

PS neonlights32@hotmail.com
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1300698462&ref=profile

Kali Sarakosti.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2009 05:43 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My good Takh,

I can only bow to your limitless knowledge of film,which is more than obviously what counts in the Forum, realising how long a way I've got to go to reach the levels of your wisdom [Roll Eyes]
...I also remember a title released in S-8 with Thanasis Veggos in Greek: 'Vlepe-akou-mila' if memory helps; could it be the extract you were talking about?
...thanks for the F/B info Antoni, you'll have a new friend request shortly [Wink]

--------------------
Yannis

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2009 03:29 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you my boys for the respect you are showing to your older/elders [Embarrassed]

Yanis ,yes,this is the extract I have, "Vlepe,Akou, Sopa" (Look,Listen, Shut Up)

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2009 06:25 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Takh, that's it; fancy showing this some time in the summer [Wink]
...Antoni, check your Facebook-you've got a new friend awaiting confirmation [Smile]

--------------------
Yannis

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2009 02:57 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A walk around monastiraki flea market and with a lot of luck you can find very nice films.
I found a small amount of Flecta films and only one of Fan films. I felt very happy and of course very lucky. In a simple no name 400’ reel box I found a film with no name, but something in my mind was saying to me that I have to buy it. When I went home I saw that the film was the Greek “Fovatai o Giannis to therio”. I made a cover of Flecta films lookalike but I am not sure that the film was from Flecta. It was badly edit and it gave me the idea that in its first edition was bigger (600’ or 2X400’). Does someone knows something about it?
Other Flecta films titles that I found are Greek language “H ftvxeia thelh kaloperash” 400’, and Greek sub “Oi tyxodivxtes” 400’ with Xontro Ligno, “O Spanki kai o theios tou” 400’, “Roben tvn dasvn” 2X400’.
I also found a FAN FILMS 200’ 8mm with no titles on, but inside the old paper box was a French film “La Mainor Hante”. I believe wrong reel in wrong box. Never mind, I got a rare box!

CU around
Antonis (Happy member)

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2009 08:44 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bloody hell Antoni,

what a nice little treasure you got there-I envy you;just saw it last night on F/B...
As I said,is there anything left or did you pick it all up [Big Grin]

--------------------
Yannis

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 01:36 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found on EBay 35 mm with (or) for MAKARIOS (Cyprus).
For those that might be interested.

http://cgi.ebay.de/35mm-2-Rollen-Makarios_W0QQitemZ270413538188QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDE_DVDs?hash=item3ef5e7238c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A10%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318% 7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

John H Bevardos
Junior

- posted June 24, 2009 08:35 AM      Profile for John H Bevardos   Email John H Bevardos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Antonis, ti kanis.

I live in Los Angeles- Greek family in Nauplion-. Are super 8 films of greece , wether pro or amature avail in film circles there?
efgaristo
John Bevardos

George Patoulidis
Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 02:22 PM      Profile for George Patoulidis   Email George Patoulidis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
errr, just to say hi to all Greeks! A "greek topic" on 8mm forum... I couldn't imagine that.
Hi Yanis!
BTW I haven't ever seen a greek 8mm film...

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 04:47 PM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello John.
Hello George.
It is good to see you around.
About Greek super 8mm films you just have to read our little topic from the beginning. You will find a lot of inf. About super 8mm films for Greece you can find a lot of amateur and professional productions all around the world (especially EBay world). The amateur films are usually vacation films of Europeans and Americans. It is very interesting to see how Greece was in 70’s, how Athens used to be, the old cars in the streets, the old busses, the street fashion of those days etc. It is fun to buy some of these old films and make a documentary of your own.
About pro productions for Greece you can find (as far as I know about) in :
1) TWA GETAWAY MOVIES (TW-810) a silent 200’ promotional film.
2) GREECE AND its BEAUTIFUL ISLANDS (E-2885) a 200’ sound documentary film.
3) SOCCER SPECIAL the final in Wembley between Panathinaikos and Ajax (1972).

Kalhnyxta for now!
Antonis

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2009 04:57 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.............Well, great to see more topics on Greek films or productions about Greece-thanks for the info Antoni,didn't know about the TWA film;seems you're not such a beginner after all [Wink]
....John,a very warm welcome to the Forum-kalos irthes! [Smile] Hope we hear often from you!
....Thanks George,we've been a bit out of touch for awhile;how's our hobby in your side of Greece doing? Btw great facebook prof pic you have!
.....On the Makarios film: saw it in eBay Germany myself-but as I'm not in 35mm can't bid. Takh,if you're following this thread,
would you think Fotis might be interested? Worth letting him know I guess........
........well, keep the Greek film flag flying & will be back here soon again [Smile]

--------------------
Yannis

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2009 03:08 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greek interest topic
Santorini Super 8mm Film Festival
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004672

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2009 04:55 AM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great iniative!!! Unfortunately I won't make it :-(
But I'll try my best for next year...

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2009 06:26 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
........wish I wasthere Antonh......... [Frown]
...all the best for that-& don't forget to put up as many pics as you can in F/B & here too-would be nice to advertise it to non-F/Bookers in the Forum [Wink]

--------------------
Yannis

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2009 12:46 PM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No need to be a Facebook member to see the photos. Just click on the link. These are the photos of 2008 festival.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2020646&id=1300698462&l=ac6879a246

I can not go to Santorini this weekend, but I asked from a friend (tin koumpara mou) that she is working at a Hotel in Santorini to go to Oia and get some photos. She is not sure if she will manage to do it, it is very difficult for her, but I hope she will make it at least for one day.

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2009 01:47 PM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About LEON FILMS (in 2006)

http://www.retromaniax.gr/vb/showthread.php?t=9780

A lot of photos but you have to be a member to see them.

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2009 02:16 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greedings to the "Greek Mafia" at the BFCC. I hope next time to be with you!
Antonis

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC