8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Glass heat on Elmos,w hat this for?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Glass heat on Elmos,w hat this for?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 31, 2009 11:56 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most Elmos have a glass heat shield between the bulb and the gate. Some recommend removal of this heat shield which will increase the light output by about 5%.
On the other thread James says this. It is a general question, what this glass heat is for? Why only Elmos (I knew ST1200 has it) has it not the other projectors?

Any harms to remove the glass from Elmos?

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2009 05:24 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it's for protecting the film frame from getting burnt by the lamp heat during still frame show-a feature that only the ST1200's & GS1200's have I think.
Don't know about removing it-guess it won't affect the projector's function,but obviously don't use the still frame if you do....

--------------------
Yannis

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 01, 2009 06:07 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think ST 1200 has the still frame feature.

--------------------
Winbert

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 01, 2009 07:08 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's for the still frame capability. In the GS1200 it automatically swings out of the way when in the normal running mode.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2009 08:26 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ST 1200 should have still frame.

A common problem is the shutter will stop in the closed position and block the light. For this reason, pull out the inch advance knob in front of the focused lens on the main frame. This will slide out to make contact with gearing. By hand, you can briefly adjust the shutter position to put the light through. The picture below shows this knob and shaft above the elevation knob...

The picture will look darker in still mode, as a protection shield drops down behind the shutter wheel to prevent frame burn.

If your ST1200 is working properly, you should be able to do it.

cg

-

[ April 02, 2009, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Chip Gelmini ]

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2009 08:58 PM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, the glass heat shield I'm talking about is the one contained in the lamp housing. It's in a round window w/ a slit/break through the middle. It's designed like this so that heat doesn't crack the glass. (I'm sure other projectors have these as well.) It's there to protect the film in the gate from excess heat during regular projection. The swing down heat shield is for still projection only. Don't mess w/ that if you want to use still projection or you'll get shrinky dinks on the screen! It also protects the film in the gate from burning when going from forward/reverse projection as it drops down momentarily during the switch.

Steve Osborne of The Reel Image fame suggested I take out the glass to increase light output by 5%. I've not done it yet but will now. See the photo. It's a good thing I took it out to show you as the glass was filthy!
Cheers,  -

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 03, 2009 12:13 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not recommend removing the split glass shield. The reason is "lamp cooling" is blown from the bottom... up.. there is a lot of hot air that needs to directed out the top of the projector, removing the glass will instead cause much of that hot air from your lamp to instead be blown forward towards the gate area and your film [Eek!] its not a good idea. The GS1200 has a small aperture baffle plate with "extra cooling" that blows in the area between the back of the plate and the gate, thats how the GS1200 is set up cooling wise without any need for a split glass, by removing that glass in you ST1200 you are going to have some of that hot air heading the wrong way.

Graham.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC