8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » LUMENS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LUMENS
Marty Pinkerman
Junior

- posted April 10, 2009 03:02 PM      Profile for Marty Pinkerman   Email Marty Pinkerman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know the lumens of an EFP 12V/100watt lamp?

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 11, 2009 12:34 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have checked various sites but cant find a definite answer for you. The reason is probably because it will depend on many things which are variables.
When used in a projector the size on the image, the lens, and supplied voltage are all things the manufacturers cant predict. All they can say is that the light output in terms of wattage is 100W.

Sorry I cant be more helpful.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Marty Pinkerman
Junior

- posted April 11, 2009 08:07 PM      Profile for Marty Pinkerman   Email Marty Pinkerman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think these would work?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/mr16_5mmLED.htm

Or how about one of these?

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=mr16+led&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1311&_odkw=MR16-W32&_osacat=0

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 12, 2009 10:33 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on comparation with my Infocus X1 (1000 lumens) at the same screen size, I believe 100w will be around 800 lumens.

But if you are thinking that the brighter is the better,... you are wrong. The best Video Projector for movie (only) is around 800 - 1200 lumens.

If you get higher than that then it is supposed to be a data projector (or a movie projector for a gigantic screen size, which is not for domestic use).

An High end VP is 1000 lumens.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2009 11:19 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Lumens are a good way to compare one lamp to another in their output, but the measurement is of little value in predicting screen brightness.

The SMPTE measurement (and standard) for screen brightness is foot-lamberts. This is a measurement of the light hitting the screen (not the reflection from the screen which would incorporate another variable screen gain). When you measure the light hitting the screen you take into account the shutter and condensing lens system in the projector. The measurement is made open gate.

When you compare a lamp in a video projector or slide projector which is putting light out 100 per cent of the time with a projector that is putting light out 60 percent of the time, you can see where a lumens comparison is of little use.

Where it is of value is comparing the same design lamp in a projector (such as ELH and EJL for example) where the lens reflector is the same or say a 1000 watt vs a 750 watt in the old style 16mm projectors.

One problem with using a 16mm lamp such as the EJL in an 8mm projector is the lamp reflector which is part of the lamp and the filament have been designed to cover the 16mm frame width (.380 inch) and as such a great deal of the "lumens" will be lost inside the lamp house when used in a Super8 projector. The EJL lamp is engineered to be 2 inches behind the aperture plate and provides max brightness across the frame at the point. It won't "focus" to a different point for the 8mm frame.

John

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC