8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How about a few furom guidelines (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How about a few furom guidelines
John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2009 11:37 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about a few guidelines that would make things a little less complicated and/or dissapointing in the forum.Tell me what you think.
1.If a collector is very very finicky about his prints,let someone who is selling or swapping you a film know in advance.Two people can have two completly different ideas of what an excellent print is.This might eliminate some misunderstandings.
2.A Swap Shop.A catagory for people with films they want to swap only.Or projectors,or books or anything!
3.Not all collectors have unlimited resources.Some of us can only afford those bargain films that folks kindly list on here.Nothing is worse than seeing an affordable film here and before you can respond,it's been bought and listed on ebay.This is the place we go to get away from all that ebay crap.If I sold a film cheaply and I saw it on ebay the next week,I would be pretty upset.I would much rather have a REEL collector enjoy my film than some snoid profitting from it.
Just a few ideas to boot around

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

|  IP: Logged

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2009 11:59 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
I have to respectfully disagree with your last point.

If someone sells a print and the subsequent buyer wants to list it on ebay for a higher price, that is perfectly reasonable. Some people earn their livings by reselling film prints, and as long as no one misled the original seller, a buyer who is buying to resell is no more a "snoid" than anyone else. Sales on the forum are first come first served regardless of who is buying.

As for a seller being upset if someone bought their print and relisted it -- the seller set the price and therefore has no right to be upset or pissed off if the buyer decides to resell.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2009 01:40 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I see both sides, it is really not possible to dictate who buys a print and what they do with it once purchased. That being said I am often the victim of such re-sells and it is my least favorite part of the hobby these days. Since it is no longer possible to buy many of the films I am looking for from the reasonably priced dealers, I generally find I am overpaying for the ones I really want. Would I love it if people only bought the prints they actually wanted? YES! - but that ain't gonna happen as long as people think they can make a buck... [Frown]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2009 03:40 AM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would much rather have a REEL collector enjoy my film than some snoid profitting from it.
You mean this guy? I agree.

-

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 05, 2009 09:51 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Thats a Snoid! Looks like a Robert Crumb character, (any of you Ole hippie guys like me remember Crumb?).

As a person who buys like this sometimes, I can explain much of that. For instance, I bought most of a collection of digests that one of our fellows listed on here. He wanted (total, for all of those that I got) 190.00 dollars. No one bought them.

He listed them all as a lot on ebay, and won the lot for 51.00 dollars. There were only two of those digests that I wanted, and being that we have been unemployed for eight months now, I need to recoup almost every dollar I spend on films these days, so I listed the ones that I didn't want.

Thankfully, I not only made back the 51.00 dollars, and kept the two 2X400ft digests that I wanted, I also made an additional thirty dollars profit over the top.

... it all went in the gas tank!

... but I was able to continue to collect and it was just the luck of the draw on ebay, (as you never REALLY know if your films will sell or not).

So, I see where your coming from, John.

Condition is another thing that seems to be based upon personal feelings. How many prints have been described on ebay as excellent condition, and you get them, and you wouldn't run them on a GAF projector, (oooh, there's a slam!). Even a few dealers, (which will not be mentioned by name) will have an "A" listing for film condition, and it actually has "C" color, which really makes the value of the print almost nothing, no matter how rare the film is. (fortunately for us, there are very few dealers like that around these days).

How many of us remember that infamous post about a print a forum member got, which had a staple, A STAPLE being used to splice the film!?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted May 05, 2009 10:06 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John W. Black wrote..........

quote:
This is the place we go to get away from all that ebay crap.If I sold a film cheaply and I saw it on ebay the next week,I would be pretty upset.I would much rather have a REEL collector enjoy my film than some snoid profitting from it.
Just a few ideas to boot around

First let me say Steve S. summed it up spot on. I have been a film seller/buyer and collector for 8 years. Without film sellers there would be no films for collectors. The Big Reel died out because of Ebay(internet sales). Calling film sellers "snoids" is not helping the hobby, in fact you are insulting a lot of the members on the forum. Derann, CHC, Perrys, etc. buy and sale used films all the time. Are they "snoids" too?

P.S. I do not have unlimited funds. [Eek!]

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2009 11:28 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Dino:
The word "victim" is perjorative. You are NOT a victim if you set the price and sold something to someone and they sell it for a profit. That's the way all businesses work.

Dan L is quite correct - Derann, CHC, Perry's and all the other dealers are in business to make a profit - if they didn't make a profit, they'd be out of business. Dealers often take risks and put up lots of money up front buying up large collections. They then take the time (in most cases) to inspect the prints, and list them for collectors to buy.

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2009 11:30 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank God for Derann and CHC.They are businesses who work hard to keep the flag flying. I can also see buying a package and selling off the unwanted prints. Problem with the ebay generation is it has taken away the interpersonal aspect of collecting. Buying,swapping and selling films is all part of the hobby. However,when people are just looking for chances to profit on a purchase when someone else might really want the same film for the collection,I can't help but think something is wrong there. Mayve because I started collecting long before the ebay mentality arrived,it's harder to understand. But in many ways,it was a lot better then. As far as the Big Reel and such,the internet killed them off as people stopped reading and used the internet only for sources. A shame as a lot of knowledgable collectors and dealers don't do the internet,people are missing out on some great people and great stuff. For some odd reason,this is more true of 8mm collectors as opposed to 16mm.Classic Images is doing great with 16mm ads now but can't seem to get 8mm collectors involved.

--------------------

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2009 11:36 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry John, but I just don't get your point - why is it that "something is wrong there" -- the film is posted for sale on an open market -- anyone who wants it can bid for it. If you want the print for your collection but get outbid, why should it matter what that other buyer wants it for? He was willing to pay more than you were. In fact, if resellers stopped bidding on individual titles, then the original sellers might get less for their prints. To me this all sounds a lot like sour grapes.

With that all said - most serious dealers buy their film in bulk lots, not individual titles. For example, I just bought a collection last week of 400+ prints...

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2009 11:39 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely name calling never helps anything (even when done in jest) but I see a big difference between the reselling I'm not fond of and what you mentioned Osi. I have had to purchase lots before to get that elusive one or two I wanted from the lot, but I think the thing I'm not crazy about, nor will I ever be crazy about are the folks that work the system so to speak, like when collector magazines allow you to pay a little more to get it early so you can scoop up the deals, or a collectors show that allows an early walk through for a premium entrance price. Is it a part of these types of hobbies? YES...will it ever go away? NO... Do I have to like it? no.....But no one is a "snoid" or anything for that matter just because they are the ones that take advantage of these things....I just think it becomes more annoying nowadays because there are not many places where you can buy things at a set price that seems affordable for the casual collector, so when everything has to be picked up in either an auction setting or a premium price setting, it makes some wonder if now is the time to get out of the hobby.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 05, 2009 12:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STEVEN!! With 400 plus prints just purchased ... would one of them be "Popeye Meets Ali Baba and His 40 thieves"? I'm still looking and hoping for a good print!

I do understand where John is coming from. Our hobby is a very personal bunch of fun, and so I can see the joy one would get from selling a print to another person who loves film as much as I do.

For instance, if I bought that "Popeye" from Douglas some day in the distant future, (unless I run into a good one somewhere else), Douglas knows that I would cherish it. My long search for a good print of "Hoppity Goes to Town" ended up in two great prints, one AGFA and one L.P.P., and I cherish those!

But I must say that, while the internet closed down "The Big Reel",(which I never had the chance to do business with, but sounded like a great company), I wouldn't have my collection, OR THIS GREAT FORUM, without it!

As for that other company that wants to involve Super 8 people as well, you get the good stuff out there, you get the business.
I'm still hoping to get some Classic animation commercials out on 200ft Super 8 releases.

It's funny, I have little money, but I would be willing to invest in this if it actually becomes a reality. Those with big bucks, who could actually afford to invest in this kind of venture, are always holding onto thier money like s**t just because it doesn't seem like a great investment.

Shoot! I know that I probably wouldn't have any profit on releasing new 200ft releases now, I'd probably lose money, but I'd still love to do it. Thats how much I LOVE this hobby!

--------------------

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2009 12:53 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,
The stuff I just bought is all 16mm, don't think there are any popeyes, but you never know... -- I don't buy 8mm pacakges much anymore -- the last time I had any serious 8mm stuff was about 4-5 years ago...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 05, 2009 02:15 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blackie's right, and I've mentioned it a hundred times, that the "live" expos/shows are so-needed where collectors and dealers are one-on-one and can see and talk the hobby through - My nickel on it

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted May 05, 2009 02:29 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JOhn W. Black wrote........

quote:
This is the place we go to get away from all that ebay crap
If you don't like Ebay, then don't go their. 99.99% of all my Ebay film purchases have been good deals and good films. Don't blindly buy from a seller without checking there feedback and asking questions. Set you top bid price(what you are willing to pay for it) and stick to it.

I don't agree with Ebay's new CEO and the policy changes, but this doesn't necessarily make the merchandise crap. [Cool]

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2009 02:31 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Side note to Dan L. -- are my emails getting though to you? Haven't heard back on the last couple I sent...

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted May 05, 2009 03:05 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Steve, got it! A reply is on it's way, Thanks. [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 05, 2009 03:25 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darn! Oh well, I thought I would ask Steve.

The search continued ... yoicks and away!

--------------------

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2009 08:53 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually only sell my films, now, when I don't like either the quality or other reason. I've sold some because I needed the money. I cringed at Doug's 'stacked films' when I saw ALIEN standing there because I know that was mine, at one time. I know I sold him another print simply because I didn't like the quality of it, even though everyone praised it, but I wouldn't have known unless I bought it in the first place. So everyone has a reason for buying and selling. And if you can make a little profit in the process, so be it.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted May 05, 2009 09:26 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi wrote.........

quote:
How many of us remember that infamous post about a print a forum member got, which had a staple, A STAPLE being used to splice the film!?
That was me. I bought it from a fellow forum member who was selling it on the forum. He hasn't posted here since(couple of years ago). Hmmm!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 05, 2009 09:37 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well films are a regular "staple" of my daily diet!

I'm really enjoying this series of "furom" posts!

Hey Dan, could you shoot me an e-mail, telling me who the "Staple Forum Member" was? I'm just curious.

--------------------

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2009 12:22 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a few people are missing the point.Greed bay has created a mentality of get at all costs.Disagree if you want,but you know that it's true.I have bought on ebay because I have to sometimes for the reason that it killed the publications that had ads.I miss knowing who I'm dealing with as opposed to some odd i.d. And again,let me say,as someone with a limited income,as some others here are,it's maddening that people who,before Greed Bay,would have never looked at that inexpensive pink print,now salavates at the profir he will make reselling it.Sorry,kids,it stinks on ice.What is happening to this fine hobby is a lot of people have the attitude of "If you can't afford it,too bad".This hobby didn't used to be like this,you newbies have missed a lot when the hobby was more friendly and less greedy.Film cons were great,the internet comes,nobody leaves home to go to them.Film buddies actually used to meet up all the time,I'm sure a couple still do,but not many.Truth be told,the hobby in many ways has been dehumanised.Oh,sorry about offending by using the term snoid.Didn't know it was such a horrible thing.

--------------------

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2009 12:23 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I often buy complete lots of film on 16mm and Super 8. I almost always keep the few I want and resell the rest.

I have recently done that on ebay again (last week) and find films find their true value. Not everything about ebay is good, but what it has done is find the true value of films. Remember back in the 70's and 80's they were mostly priced according to their length!

David

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2009 12:47 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not really a true value.If you get two "must havers",the price will escalate far past the true worth

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2009 01:19 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know where you guys are finding "lots" of film to buy...I want some [Big Grin]

--------------------

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2009 01:36 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, that is true market value. It works both ways however, if two people do not consider a film a must have, then a third person gets a bargain.

When a film goes for a high price like you mention, it will encourgae others with that same film to put it on the market, the more that come on, the moroe the price will go down. If only one other person puts that film up for bid, the price of the film may go even higher, that is a true market value.

I had an R/T Charger car that I sold in in 1992 for $14,000. That exact same car sold last year for $149,000 in the same condition. I wish I'd have kept it, but I sold it for what was a fair market value at the time. Guess what, that car could probably be bought for tens of thousands less right now due to the economic meltdown.

I, as much as anyone else here, loves to find a keenly priced film bargain. Often these bargains I will keep forever, so I do see part of your point, but I don't think you can begrudge others buying low and selling high. I happily paid over $150 for a 18 minute short last week, but I have been after it for 20 years. One bidder followed me all the way up so I guess they wanted it almost as badly as me.

Good discussion by the way guys.

David

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC