8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Best Looking Projector (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Best Looking Projector
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2009 10:04 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now there are memories, Alexander...
The 807D was my first projector, wheedled out of my parents along with a Bauer C4 camera, as my confirmation gift at age 15.

I did a lot of screenings on that machine (before I finally managed to get the money together for the Elmo ST1200.) A fine, reliable unit the 807 was; the proof is in the pudding in that the films I ran on it still run well today.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2009 03:56 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul & Michael O',

Thanks for your comments and appreciation of the Ampro.

Mike, - contrary to popular belief, these machines are NOT difficult to maintain, provided you get one in good order to begin with.

Dave Whistler is also an expert on these machines - so already there are 2 members willing to assist with any issues - if you so decide.

Here is a shot of the 'business' area. Pretty impressive, huh!

-

Best,

[ June 08, 2009, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: David Pannell ]

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2009 09:48 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again to all watching the Beauty Contest of Vintage projectors.
Another of my Ampros is pictured here.
A cross between a Stick Insect & an Alien Robot.
Here we have the Ampro Premier 20.
A 16mm Dinosaur that I keep in a big long chest, padlocked so it doesn't get out & eat some one.
Hope you like its weird appearance. I am fascinated by this contraption but have never run it yet. Hope to do so soon.
dogtor pufferfish
 -

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2009 11:54 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Frank,

We had one of these when I was at school, and it was this projector that was responsible for my interest in films and projectors generally. It was the forerunner of the various Ampro Stylist models.

I would certainly be VERY interested to hear of your expriences once you get her running and have screened a few films.

--------------------
Dave.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 08, 2009 01:32 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess in general, the 8mm and Super 8 projectors are the most pleasing to the eye, because they were aimed at the Home market, whereas the 16mm stuff was more professional and industrial use and as such needed to be practical rather than gorgeous.

Would you agree?

-Mike

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2009 07:35 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the end of the day, I reckon it all comes down to one's personal point of view.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave.

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2009 08:21 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess in general, the 8mm and Super 8 projectors are the most pleasing to the eye, because they were aimed at the Home market, whereas the 16mm stuff was more professional and industrial use and as such needed to be practical rather than gorgeous.

Would you agree?

Sorry Mike, I disagree. I've found some of the most beautiful machines are 35mm machines, of which only a handfull of people ever saw. Old Brenkerts in particular. The next most attractive are 16mm machines like the Ampro Stylist. I find most 8mm machines to be either very utilitarian or toy like.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2009 09:17 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Damien, finally some more Australians here!

Now, there is no way I'd call a Eumig 940 or an Elmo GS 1200 toys and this is from someone who owns four 35/70mm Philips Todd-AO DP 70's!

I'd place all three in the best looking projector category.

David

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2009 09:25 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the welcome David

Don't want to veer to far off into 35mm land, but the DP-70 is a beauty, I love the 35/70 Original Vic 8's at work, when they have intact casing and magazines. Where are you getting all these DP-70's? I'd give my middle nut for a Phil/Nor. They make my Simplex Standard look pretty piss-weak.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2009 09:32 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David...FOUR DP70es [Eek!] [Eek!] Guess you are not living in an apartment [Big Grin]
I trained on those beauties when I started, and I'll always think of them as the 'king of the hill' projector-wise. When they moved me to my 'own house', the Christie 35 I ran felt like cheap, noisy junk by comparison.

Care to throw up a pic of one of them?

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2009 09:27 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus, no, not an apartment!

I have them at my drive-in theatre. Just Google "Lunar Drive-in" for its homepage and a pic of me in the box. You can also see my home page listed on my site info. above for more information on drive-ins and 35mm projectors etc.

I also really like the look of the Bell and Howell 256 Standard 8mm projector too.

David

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2009 02:52 AM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's a doona?

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2009 12:01 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's like a thick quilt, what you have on your bed instead of blankets. Is this term used outside of Australia?? I think it is a Swedish term?

Anyway at our drive-in in Winter people bring them and snuggle up in the back or their utes (pick up trucks), panel vans (sedan deliveries) and station wagons with the tail-gate open.

David

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2009 06:04 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A doona is a duvet. Or an eiderdown, maybe... 'Royale with cheese.'

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2009 06:49 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.............they got the metric system, they wouldn't know what the ..........anyway you know the rest

Don't start me on the sewer rat scene........

Well put Steven, same thing different name depending on what country you are in. I have never herd of a duvet!

David

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2009 02:11 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sister is married to an Australian so I speaka da lingo, cobber...

--------------------
VistaVision

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 15, 2009 11:02 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From 1979....nice add [Smile]
 -
The Projector is "Fujica SH6 Sound"
[Smile]

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2009 05:54 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You take the projector, I'll take the blonde in the blue hat!

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2009 06:18 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet the projector gave less grief and more fun than the 1979 blonde...

--------------------
VistaVision

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 19, 2009 08:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow that blonde is a dead ringer for my wife, without her glasses.
I've got the model, tee hee! (Hey baby, wanna automatic thread?)

Mmmmmm!

Concerning those ancient projectors. I must admit, those older models with those metal belts and such, fully exposed, (as I like fully exposed models), have a charm, all they're own.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 22, 2009 02:17 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From about 1950, my Revere 88 - the poor man's Bell& Howell 606h/Regent - but still a looker.

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 22, 2009 02:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another vote for a great looking projector would have to be the Yashica P810. It was optical and magnetic sound and yet, it was a very small compact little beauty. Wish I could post a picture, but I've never been able to figure out the complexities of our beloved forum's photo capabilities.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 19, 2013 10:09 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stumbled upon this old thread and I'm surprised this topic was cut so short. I thought I'd try and pick it up again by adding to Osi's last post.

I have to agree with Osi that the Yashica Sound P810 is a very impressive looking projector. It's an extremely quiet running machine with great sound...a very sharp 15mm - 25mm zoom lens...a frame counter...and a convenient monitor screen.

-

Also in my projector collection I find the Sankyo Sound 600 to be equally good looking and a pleasure to run.

-

[ May 20, 2013, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 20, 2013 01:38 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be remiss if I didn't include my two oldest, but beautifully designed Keystone projectors. I love the simplicity of the 16mm K-160 with it's easy threading and retractable cord...and the 8mm Regal K-109 is an example of classic elegance.

-

[ May 20, 2013, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC