8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Hi

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hi
Richard Kemp
Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2009 10:48 PM      Profile for Richard Kemp   Email Richard Kemp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello there - just joined and thanks for approving me [Smile]

Mostly film in Super 8, some Single 8 and interested in Regular 8.

Am also a home transfer enthusiast (hobby) so am really interested in all the different makes of projector and their various qualities; unfortunately am not electronics-trained which can be a barrier to understanding how projectors work.

Fond of the idea of soundtracks but have not experimented with sound film / magnetic striping, although the audio tech side to 8mm film making looks really fascinating [Wink]

Thanks again!

--------------------
Ric

Paillard Bolex H16 Reflex. Projectors: Elmo GP-E, Eumig S807D; B&H TQIII. Editors: Erno E1201, Prinz Oxford 1200, Muray 16mm.

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted June 11, 2009 11:00 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Richard, and welcome to best little film forum on the web. Sounds like you're really into creating quality film visuals. I am a sound nut and love to tweak audio. I think there are places that still do striping and am sure someone will provide that info. Do you have a home cinema? If so, it's time to get into sound even if it's your own added tracks for silent shows.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2009 05:51 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Richard!

For sound striping, I highly recommend EVT Electronics, in England. I get my processed movie film striped by them regularly, and they do an excellent job. I recommend the liquid stripe, if your using 64-T film.

Enjoy!

James.

Richard Kemp
Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2009 06:56 AM      Profile for Richard Kemp   Email Richard Kemp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks James and Dan,

I can make my own soundtracks for transferred footage but it would be fun to try an all-audio project [Wink]

Have a good projector screen but I would not call this Home Cinema: have shown one short (silent) film at a film club on a ciné projector which went ok [good quality projector - did not jump my splices! [lol]

Many thanks again

--------------------
Ric

Paillard Bolex H16 Reflex. Projectors: Elmo GP-E, Eumig S807D; B&H TQIII. Editors: Erno E1201, Prinz Oxford 1200, Muray 16mm.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 12, 2009 10:04 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

Welcome to the Forum! Your membership was approved at the weekly moderators conference by a very large majority. Quite impressive, really. [Big Grin]

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 12, 2009 12:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weekly (or is it weakly? Hee hee) moderator's conference?

I didn't know there was such a thing.

At any rate, welcome to our merry bunch! You'll get, in my own opinion, some of the best advice, film wise, on this forum, and I can't think of a more likable bunch of lads (and lasses) than you'll find on here! [Smile] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted June 12, 2009 08:19 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, is Lassie a member of the forum?

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2009 08:24 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome abord!

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Richard Kemp
Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2009 02:24 AM      Profile for Richard Kemp   Email Richard Kemp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Doug and all - goodness, approved by a majority! - i must be doing something right? [Wink]

will have many questions rest assured - just taken receipt of a reconditioned (i think?) Elmo GP-E to replace my old one, actually to replace the lens which had dust in it: even though i sent the lens off to be repaired it came back in the same condition and i foolishly tried to do the job myself, resulting in all the optics tumbling out (moment of extreme blue language) i think the old lens is well past repairing now but never mind

switched to the Elmo from a Chinon because the Chinon jumps splices and breaks cement splices: the Elmo is a very smooth runner compared to the Chinon [Smile]

thanks again

--------------------
Ric

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2009 02:37 AM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Richard,

Welcome to the Forum! Your membership was approved at the weekly moderators conference by a very large majority. Quite impressive, really. [Big Grin]

Doug

Then how did I get in...?

Richard Kemp
Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2009 02:54 AM      Profile for Richard Kemp   Email Richard Kemp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jim

It's photo emulsion which attracts me to still and moving photography so no matter how super dv cams become (and they are super) they will never replace what i look for in 'film'; also very fond of experimental film making for which acetate-celluloid gives you that 'hands on' dimension which you cannot replicate for digital media.

But I do find the ciné/digital interface fascinating, if somewhat mysterious :-o and the quality of movie file compression (if you do have to use it) is improving all the time.

Many thanks - before I drift too far o/t! [Wink]

--------------------
Ric

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 13, 2009 10:42 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,

You're actually still on probation.

From page 122 of the 8mm Forum Charter:

A person registered to this Forum shall serve a probationary period. The probationary period provides for assessment of member qualifications, performance, and general suitability to successfully meet posting requirements and the stringent standard of remaining on topic (We must have slacked off during Osi's probation). During the initial probationary period, the Forum has the right to terminate the relationship at any time if the member exceeds the bad pun quota or is found lubricating their films with WD-40.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC