8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Shrek 2 on 8mm (toys) , who print?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shrek 2 on 8mm (toys) , who print?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 16, 2009 05:46 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Shrek 2 was released in May 2004 according to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298148/ (IMDB).

As usual windows showing time, everything can go to public after 6 month fo rental uses (meaning beginning 2005).

This toys http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320384398234&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123 is told to be on super 8mm.

So who printed the film? Did Derann do this?

What other titles are available?

Can anybody tell us....

thannks,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 16, 2009 09:15 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I mentioned that very toy projector here . It's manufactured by a company in Valencia, Spain. They also have one with a Winnie the Pooh film cassette.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2009 04:06 AM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my youngest daughter one of these last Christmas, and the film cartridge that came with it was "The Incredibles". Didn't take long to get scratched, though.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 17, 2009 10:07 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Doug, exactly it is!

But that thread you mentioned does not reveal the whole mystery.

So because you oen that very toy, can you tell us what stock is used?

And does it play with 24 fps or 18 fps or even slower?

How do you see the colour? any shift?

I am really curious to know.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2009 01:34 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a very curious toy.

I was wondering if it is magnetic or optical sound, or is it just silent? I doubt that, because I don't think kids today would tolerate watching a silent movie! [Wink] .

James.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 17, 2009 09:30 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd expect it to be silent as everything I've heard of in this line has been. I doubt if Derann had any involvement, although I recall Derek saying in the 1980s that they had arranged the printing of a batch of shorts for a kids projector of this type. Do they offer any scope for buying other shorts to project using it? Is the film 50ft?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2009 02:12 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann also arranged a similar printing in the mid-1990's Adrian. Again, it was for a company in Spain.

No doubt Andec Labs were behind this latest Super 8 venture.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 18, 2009 02:29 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI: Exin is a leading Spanish toy company. Before getting their own slot racing system, they were the manufacturers of Scalextric equipment (cars and tracks) outside of the UK.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 18, 2009 09:16 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

That particular item is in storage right now, so I can't check the stock. It is hand cranked and meant to project at a slow speed.

Jim,

Silent. The cartridge has 5 picture buttons that supply sound effects or a line of dialog when pressed.

Adrian,

I'm fairly certain that there's no more than 25 ft. of film involved.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2009 12:21 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remarkable that this exists at all these days...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2009 03:00 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it all seems so "primative", compared to all the bells and whistles that kids toys have today. Yet, something like this could catch on if its well marketed. I think kids actually get tired of all the modern digital stuff some times, and are attracted to nostalgic items that are interesting and different.

Look at the View-Master. With all its simplicity, its still around today. And the silent version at that.

James.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC