8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ebay: bidding on someone's own items... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ebay: bidding on someone's own items...
Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 09:40 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me and other members of this community have discovered today (there's always been something suspicious with this/these eBayer/eBayers) there's someone who really likes to bid on his own films for sale. And the price goes higher and higher.
At the end of his auctions he contacts people who tried to buy his items for sale telling ALWAYS the same, stupid story (what a limited imagination and fantasy...): that the final winner has health and money problems (why should he bid, so???) and cannot complete the transaction!

I'm definitively upset because I had the same problem with this gentleman (to be polite) some months ago. I hate the fact he pretends to be a REAL COLLECTOR. I don't think such a person, so bad, rude and not honest at all, should define himself a COLLECTOR.
So I have no problem in telling you to beware of these sellers: behind these nicks there's always the same COLLECTOR. If you think you already had a similar experience and you are quite sure we are talking about the same COLLECTOR, well, post here his other nicks, please. That's a real shame.

lous16mm

and probably more…

[ June 24, 2009, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Gian Luca Mario Loncrini ]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 09:52 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have good reason to believe that this is going on you can always alert ebay with as much detail as possible and they will examine the bidding records to find a pattern of certain people winning items consistently from the same sellers, but the items actually being sold to underbidders.
If they confirm it, they will take action.
Martin.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 09:54 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And my question is,are there more people that has this experience and know this names,please warn everybody and
tell it Ebay!
And one advise use always paypal with this transactions [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 09:54 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Martin. We are already doing this. It was my intention to alert all members. I love this community and this Forum: cannot stand people like this.
Jeroen, you had the same problem with him, am I correct?

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 10:01 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes this morning,and in the past i buy Pinocchio from him for a high price because i get a second chance.
I was two times overbid for Pinocchio and this morning Peter Pan.
I'am very sad now,and really mad [Frown]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 10:03 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be happy Jeroen: we are doing something good after something bad happened! Thanks for your support! I really appreciate. And I feel a little guilty: it was me to suggest you that print. I did not know, until today (and thanks to your info) you were trading with the same COLLECTOR I had bought from before you did.

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 10:08 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't your fauld believe me,nobody
knows what sick people it are!
Let judgement decide [Wink]

--------------------

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 11:45 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My only question is,why are you suprised? Funny,I was considered a hater in here when I pointed out the ebay problems. So here goes once again. Many ebay film dealers are NOT collectors. They have come from other hobbies where they have driven the prices through the roof and are now looking for new hobbies to plunder. You know who these people are,just don't buy from them,don't sell to them.They will go away if there is no profit to be had.These people are BAD for our hobby and will wind up pricing lots of us out by creating false value on the films.They have done this in other hobbies over the years,baseball cards,musical instruments,trains,you name it.There aren't as many real film collectors as there are in other hobbies and it only will take a few of these guys to destroy our hobby.A suggestion,sell your films here before ebay,don't look for the big killing,get fair value and DON'T sell to the ebay dealers.So,am I a hater or someone who really cares about the hobby and sees a growing problem?

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 11:58 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks,for the advise John! [Smile]

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 12:04 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I was not really surprised at all. At the contrary, I'm really happy 'cause, thanks to other members, I discoverd at least ONE 'name'. That's all. We all know this is not a piece of news.

Luckly (or should I say unfortunately?) I do use Ebay and often find very good items and sellers. But...

A) I did not like this cheeky attitude as everyone else here, of course.

B) I do like I now know this gentleman is worse than acne.

And, reporting his nicks (two, at least. Who knows how many he uses) the community is alerted. I'm probably not the only one on the Forum buying from Ebay. Am I???
[Big Grin] !

--------------------

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 03:12 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
When you find this happening you should post the sellers ebay id so we'll all know. In fact we all need to keep watch because they constantly dump names when they get negative feedback and open a new seller id so we need to keep everyone up to day.

Please post the sellers ebay id if this happens repeatedly.

John

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 03:36 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Already done, John.
Thanks for suggesting. [Wink]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 24, 2009 03:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive ran into this kind of thing from time to time.

I'll see an item which (for some strange reason, as far as I'm concerned), has only one bid and it looks like a steal.

So then I'll do something to catch them in the act ...

I'll put a rediculous sounding bid. Instead of just bidding 15.00 dollars or perhaps 15.50, I will bid 15.83, or perhaps 14.72 ...

Lo and behold, the auction immediately goes up to exactly my high bid amount, intimating that some else bid 14.71.

Now, it IS possible that someone else might have bid just about the same thing; after all, it's a big world, but the odds are that someone else isn't going to bid that same exact amount, with the auction being right up at that.

In one case of that, I contacted the seller and refused to pay for the item and suggested that he re-list and that I would warn all me friends on the forum. Strangely, he didn't bother to open a case against me. Could it be that he was more interested in keeping his name from being known on forum, hmmm??

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 04:21 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot believe there could be people like this among real amateurs. I know I'm just 'the last one' who reached this community. This does not mean I don't love this 'world' the same way you all do.

But I CANNOT believe it at all. This space on line is a good way to make new friends all around the world, to share the same passion, to compare different approaches or ways to collect, what we like or we don't, what is rare or not, what I do like and other people don't.

This is a small space that allows us to keep this 'thing' alive. In a moment full of very bad news: Kodachrome at the end of its days, magazines not printed anymore (quite worse than negatives of good titles no longer available). This is terrible. I know my point of view is a 'romantic' one (and I don't probably want to accept all this could finish, one day, considering this digital era... A new invention is already old, the day after). But I really like this Forum, a funny space dedicated to our beloved movies, sometimes red or pink; to our projectors, even if so old, falling down in small pieces, making strange noises, sometimes scratching our films, but always making us so happy. This is part of the fun. And WE TOO are part of the fun. All of us.

I cannot belive people doing this could be members of such a friendly community.
Am I funny? I don't think so. I don't understand ANYTHING when a projector has a problem. I need other collectors to be in a position to repair it. I need people I can find here. And always giving their help. For nothing, understand? FOR NOTHING. Tell me how many things we can enjoy for nothing, nowadays? How many?
But this doesn't mean I don't love or respect home cinema (as we consider it here) the same way other more-than-collectors do.

I feel someone 'important', here, 'cause I keep all this ALIVE day by day. And I'm proud of it. Not more than a rain drop in a lake (I cannot say 'SEA'. We are just a limited number of crazy people). But ONE drop, at least.
That's, once more, the main reason why I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS. Sorry if I appear so pathetic. Probably I am. But, at 38 and after 30 years I've been spending collecting super 8, believe me: I'm not going to change anymore! [Wink]

[ June 24, 2009, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Gian Luca Mario Loncrini ]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 24, 2009 04:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and there is no need for you to change, my friend Gian.

For like so many others on this forum, though we all have our faults, whether known or unknown, I would say that 95 or more percent of the people on this forum, our illustrious members, (I only say 95 or more percent as there are no doubt a few that are being "naughty"), are good, honorable, word keeping men and women of character.

Good character, whether is a religious or non-religious way, (as religious people don't have a cornered market on good character, quite the contrary, as the only people that have gossiped about me in my hometown I have traced to those who I have attended services with) is becoming the rarity instead of the norm. It used to be the other way around.

A handshake was your word.
"Cash on the barrel-head" ... as it used to be said.

The people on this forum I have found to be of good form. The benefit to sharing about these louses out there, (that's right, LOUSES!) that take advantage of true collectors, is that others will not be taken advantage of in the future.

Never make an apology for being of honorable character, or pining for a perhaps long ago time when there was good character abounding, (though I would be curious as to when that was), for it is an absolute truth that when those of good character stay silent, those louses in the world become out-spoken and take advantage of the good.

Good is always stronger than evil. It's just that the good forget that fact and stay silent. Only when the good stay silent can the evil in society take over, (and the evil know it).

So, continue to expose the louses and our forum will continue to flourish. Expose the charlatans (true charlatans, and not those that someone may just be wanting to pick a fight with), and the rest of the forum is just that much safer than it was before.

I absolutely LOVE this forum, (gee, isn't that obvious?!) and I will defend it as well as I possibly can!

Long live the Forum!! Down with LOUSES!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 05:03 PM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian,
Well thanks for smearing my name. I am rugolo47, and I DO NOT BID ON MY OWN FILMS OR SEND PHONEY MESSAGES TO PEOPLE!
I just started selling on Ebay for the first time only 2 weeks ago. Where does it show I bid on my own items?
I am a true film collector and I give films away for gifts from time to time. I enjoy giving films for free to members when I can. I even gave you a film, and now you put my user name up as a scamer?
WHY?

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 05:15 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Myke

if 3 members of the community had the same problem on Ebay, more or less in the same period, this is a real interesting casuality.
Anyway, my point of view (POINT OF VIEW, not OPINION ABOUT YOU) doesn't change. I can only apologize and delete your nick from the topic post. I could not know r*** were you. But, once more, I thing it's quite strange the same story, THE SAME ONE, happened to several people.
Once more, I'm sorry. A good friend of mine, also member of this community, was today very sad for what I have explained in my topic post. I was really upset for him.
If you are not 'the one', once more, sorry. Public apologizes. I have to be sincere: you have always been very kind to me. No problem in admitting I was probably wrong.

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 05:25 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,forgive me,but it is a littlebit strange that you sell an item on Ebay while you are on this forum.
If i sell an super8 movie then i say it here first on the forum and i give the link.
I asked so many times for Peter Pan look first here when you sell something it is a cheaper way to sell something,and we all friends i thought:(
Next time let us know! [Wink]

--------------------

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 06:40 PM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian,
I appreciate your apology. I would still like to know why you thought that I was a seller that would pull tricks.
What did you see from me that made you red flag me? I never did anything like was implied in your post. This has made me hurt in the extreme. I always help members out not just with film but with projector parts when I have spares. Then recently I thought I would try Ebay selling to see what it was like. To my mind it was alright, otherwise Doug Meltzer wouldn't post links to people's auctions, much less allow it.
Jeroen, I didn't mean to upset you. I did not know you were looking for Peter Pan. So are people like Alan Rick, Dan Lail, et al bad people for having sold on Ebay? I've won and lost auctions from them, but I would never post upset for having lost. And I've never seen people attacked for posting links to their auctions.
It's funny that for all my good film collector intentions it takes just one post to make me suddenly look bad, greedy and evil.
I'm very sad indeed.

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 09:24 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look,for this great hobby to survive,we have to band together as collectors. One way to be wary of a seller on ebay is check his other items for sale.If there seems to be a lot of different collectables,you can be pretty sure he is a professional seller with NO regard to our hobby. Refuse to buy from him. Smoke him out. I'm sorry if I'm not politically correct,but PC is a very bad joke. The only correct is just correct and it knows no affiliation.As such,are these type od dealers crooks? Not really,but you are kidding yourself if you think these people care about the hobby.As a longtime collector i.e. before the internet,I hate what communication.or lack of it has done to the hobby. And if some people might vent on here,thats good because instead of hiding a real problem,we can address it.If you would like to pay $100 for a digest sometime soon,keep patronising these guys.Ask some people who have collected other things and ask what happened to their hobby.Because of the great forums,we can nip it in the bud.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 24, 2009 11:24 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Forum members choosing to sell their films on eBay first. I've bought & sold on eBay, I've bought & sold on this Forum, and I've sold to non-eBay dealers (of the highest integrity) because they needed product to sell.

Sometimes when you need to make some money it just makes more sense to put a classified ad in a newspaper that has a circulation of over 5 million as opposed to your local gazette.
One can't be altruistic all the time. Moreover, not every local sale has gone smoothly, either.

Osi,

Just to make sure....are you saying that the seller was (is) a Forum member?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2009 11:46 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree oug,there is nothing wrong with selling excess film on ebay. The point is,there are also professional ebay sellers who dive into hobbies solely to drive up prices and their own profits. This isn't a theory,it is a fact.There is a big difference between us who use ebay fairly and those who are trying to make a killing at our expense.And if we chose to ignore it,we are only hurting ourselves.And yes.some are members here.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2009 04:12 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
public apologizes once more. Not only to you, but to the whole community. Believe me: yesterday it was a very bad day, for me. You don't have to mind at all. But, once more, I like here. So I did not mean to hurt anybody. No more posts, in future, mentioning names, nicks etc.
[Wink]

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2009 05:08 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes for me too Mike,sorry for my bad thinking,but this was the thirth time i was overbid for a Derann and everytime it was the same person,and strange but true,the person that overbid me could'nt pay the movie,and finally i must pay the max bid,because they give me a second chance,and that was not fair,i hope this one buy Peter Pan from you,i have found it finally,so i don't take a second chance anymore.
And Mike 1 advice let him pay the movie our mr w**i!
And very sorry for this,i hope you can laugh after all this comotion for nothing,yes for lous 16 mm but that's another story!
He is a moneymaker!
I was very sad about it yesterday and was crying like a baby that i not won Peter Pan [Frown]
But someone helps me with and Peter Pan and Snow white,so i'am happy now [Smile]

Greets Jeroen.

--------------------

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2009 05:56 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I say it once again...I'm not a collector, so perhaps I do not understand. But there is something that I do understand... A HOBBY is meant to be ENJOYABLE!!
Is it the "collecting" that's a "hobby", or is it the "presentation"? If it's the "collecting", when does "collecting" cease to be a "hobby" and become an "addiction"? What makes it a "must have" situation?
I enjoy acquiring equipment and renovating it to the level that it performs like it used to. But I would never buy anything that was overpriced, simply because "I haven't got one of those so I have to have it". (And because I do not have a lot of money to spare, anyway!)
The real problem with ebay lies with the fact that it makes everything too available; AND with the Buyer that "must have at all costs". The only way to beat this problem is to resist temptation and look for other sources; the flea markets, car boot sales and the dealers who will state their price and perhaps haggle. And if you MUST use ebay only look at "Buy it Now", then make offers, and only buy if the price is one you are genuinely prepared to pay.
Oh yes, and actually enjoy the "collection" you've got. A HOBBY is meant to be ENJOYABLE !!
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC