8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ebay: bidding on someone's own items... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ebay: bidding on someone's own items...
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 25, 2009 06:35 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My own experience is that "...flea markets, and car-boot sales..." do not yield much in the way of original 16mm prints.
Ebay is very much a part of collecting 16mm film, like it or loathe it. Perhaps, for Super 8 its different.

-Mike

[ June 25, 2009, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: Michael O'Regan ]

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 25, 2009 08:59 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have posted items here for sale first to test the waters. No replies! So I went to Ebay and sold part of this huge collection. However I always leave it up in the air if someone wants to purchase the item directly I give them a price and stop the auction. And if we have dealt with each other before than I usually will lower the price. I find that high ticket items don't sell well on this forum unless its a very rare item. I sold an Elmo GS1200 Xenon here to Steven Sigel. However my Beaulieu 708El Stereo couldn't sell so it sold on Ebay.
I think if you know how much a print is worth this a great place to sell. But if you don't know Ebay is a nice barometer.
I am a collector and I think I do what others do. Not to make money...but to get more things for your collection! With the money I received from the Ebay sales I was able to get a Bauer T610 and sync unit, Goko 8008 etc.
I remember once bidding on a Sankyo 800 Stereo with a 1.0 lens. I was outbid 3 times...first at $150, then $300 and then finally at $375. Then I stopped bidding because I caught myself in the mode of trying to "win".
Literally a few weeks later it was on Ebay again for $799!!!!
Exact same machine. (Ironically it was purchased by a forum member here when the seller couldn't sell it and ended up getting it for around $300-so the seller lost money. But the winner here ended up with a non repairable machine so he sold me the 1.0 lens.)
What can you do? I myself have purchased something cheaper than it was worth only to sell it at a higher cost. As Doug says it would be nice to be altruistic all the time but its not a reality.
That is fair..but shill bidding is not. Sad thing is that a year or so ago when you could see the bidding history it was easier to tell. You could see a bidder come in at the last minute with zero feedback trying to uncover the previous "reserve" that the high bidder has. Finds it and then retracts his bid.
With the new Ebay system you cannot see anything. Lends itself to the possibility of more scams.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 25, 2009 09:26 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I have done Alan! I sell in order to raise money for my hobby and nothing more. I couldn't justify taking money out of my wife's and kid's mouth to feed my obsessive hobby, (hee hee hee).

Doug, I was looking at my first post on this series of posts and couldn't figure out where you were going with your question. Would love to reply though. Could you please give a quote from it and I'll certainly explain myself.

cheers!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 25, 2009 10:13 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

I believe that Gian Luca inferred from your post that the seller you were going to expose was a Forum member.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 25, 2009 01:25 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug ...

Aaah, I see. A mis-understanding. I didn't even know who the seller was, and I had no intention of exposing anybody. What I was writing about was that, whether a forum member or not, IF a seller has acted improperly, they should be exposed, that's all, but I wasn't going to expose anybody myself.

Sorry if you got the wrong idea from my post, Gian.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2009 04:39 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I did not, don't worry at all. [Wink]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 25, 2009 06:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NO sweat Gian!

Whether good or bad, (and no bad here), my friends are always my friends!

--------------------

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2009 11:38 PM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gian and Jeroen,
Thank you for your kind apologies and for explaining and clearing up the situation. We are all passionate about film, are we not? [Wink]
Fortunately, the buyer for my film did pay for it today, so hopefully all will go well with him.
And I still hope to contribute to this hobby in any way I can.

Cheers!
Mike

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2009 02:44 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are more than welcome, Mike.
I still feel bad because of the misunderstanding, believe me.
Take care.
CIAO.

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2009 06:54 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay,let forget the past think about the future.
Mike one question,why did you sell Peter Pan?
it is a nice feature i think,anyway i have it
finally found so it's okay.
Next time you sell a Disney tell me okay?i like
them very much.

Greets Jeroen [Big Grin]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2009 03:39 AM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeroen,
I sold Peter Pan because a few months ago I was stricken with a new addiction to 16mm film. So I'm for the first time attempting to sell some 8mm film in order to raise money for more 16mm titles that I have access to. I'm by no means leaving 8mm, just downsizing the collection. If I sell more Disney's I will definitely let you know. Same to Gian if I sell some Rascals as well.
Mike

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 27, 2009 04:02 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, welcome to the 16mm world, Mike [Smile]

-another Mike

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2009 04:45 AM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the welcome, Mike!
I'm pretty overwhelmed right now with the seemingly limitless array of titles I've been able to track down. Not to mention the obvious print quality and ease of acquiring projectors. But it sure ain't cheap. Though I still love Super 8, I'm at the moment a little burnt out on my usual GS1200 maintenance routines.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 27, 2009 05:09 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, 16mm ain't cheap if you want good original prints, but bargains are out there to be had. You just gotta find them. Are you a member of
www.16mmfilmtalk.com ?
Its the place to be for 16mm collecting ( and of course the 16mm section here also!!)

-Mike

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2009 05:25 AM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I am a member at Mr. Urbanski's site. Incredible wealth of knowledge and sales over there just as it is here. They also do a nice job of weeding out the scammers out there as well.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2009 04:20 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know, Mike. Just knock, in case.

--------------------

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2009 04:41 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi - regarding your post about you bidding $14.71 and the price going up to $14.72. That's standard e-bay behaviour if the previous bidder put in a bid higher than your $14.71. E.g. if the auction starts at $5, bidder one bids $10 - ebay shows the price at $5. You then decide to put in $9.32. This is lower than Bidder 1's $10 so e-bay puts the price at $9.33 in favour of Bidder 1. I use a sniping service and see this many times.

On a more general point. I've often wondered if it wouldn't help to have a static post that ties e-bay ids to members. I don't think anyone knowing what your id is risks identity theft. I buy/sell as scratchydisk, so if anyone wants to start such a thread feel free to add me to it.

Stewart

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 27, 2009 05:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stewart,

Yeah, I've known about that for a long time as well. No, on the auction I just bid on, a little while back now, I was less than a minute before the auction was done. There was a first bid.
In this case, I bid 18.14 cents. Well, what do you know, my high bid was exactly where the bid now was! I was in the lead with the high bid being exactly 18.14, and it ended without a another bid,
of course.

Too coincidental for my tastes. I bet if I had bid a mere 8.62 cents, I would have won it for that exact 8.62.

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted June 27, 2009 05:36 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John W. Black wrote.....

quote:
The point is,there are also professional ebay sellers who dive into hobbies solely to drive up prices and their own profits. This isn't a theory,it is a fact.There is a big difference between us who use ebay fairly and those who are trying to make a killing at our expense.And if we chose to ignore it,we are only hurting ourselves.And yes.some are members here.
John, who are these members driving up prices? And who are the non-members driving up prices?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 27, 2009 06:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, maybe its me, (giggle), naw, not likely, I've never made much at all on ebay ... just enough to continue to buy me little "cine trinkets", which are less and less by the day.

I do hear what John is saying, though. Every once in awhile, you'll have atitle that should go for ten bucks. Lets say a STAR WARS title on Super 8, the good ole 400ft or 200ft.

This actually happened on this very title. A Star Wars 400ft came up, saying the average "Very Rare" (snicker) and apparantly, some newbie or generic Star Wars fan, and another, (or a sniper program) bid it up to 81.00 dollars!

For a few weeks after that, a lot of other people who had watched that auction, suddenly started to list thier old copies of that same title for 50.00 or more dollars as a starting bid. Needless to say, they didn't sell. Though laughable, I kind of felt sorry for everybody who were trying to get in on that "bonanza".

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2009 08:27 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will say that often in terms of silent films I think the folks who drive the prices up are those that intend to sell them on DVD, or operate their own film rental libraries since they figure being a silent film they can get away with it and not have to pay exhibition fees, etc.. I know there was a time some years ago when I was outbid daily on things (even if I put what I considered a crazy high bid) by someone named televista,,, then all of a sudden I saw a bunch of DVD's hitting the market by a company called televista...It's always gonna be there..if someone has the money they will bid high, and all it takes are 2 people wanting the same film.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted June 27, 2009 11:09 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

I think John W. was saying that sellers are driving the prices up.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 27, 2009 11:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan ...

I think that John W was mistaken, as a cellar is incapable of driving up anything. Number one, I have never known a cellar to even have a driver's license, let alone be capable of driving, (though this post may be driving some to drink!).

Besides this, being that a cellar tends to be down below, it seems impossible for a cellar to drive up anything. A cellar by nature must be traversed by going downhill. There are steps to take to navigate a cellar.

So, our dear John W. we are most sure that you were mistaken about cellars driving up the prices of films. I doubt even one cellar would have any idea what a price is in the first place, let alone driving it.

... and I'll be darned if a single cellar out there has even watched a single reel of film. Cellar's by nature are sedentary
and stationary.

Cellars are quite good places to grow cellary!

Though, it must be stated, that I haven't picked up a good cellary in quite awhile. It's kind of hard to pick up a good cellary when there are no jobs around!

So, I wouldn't mind a good cellar, given the proper job!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2009 01:36 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I climb up from the cellar, I think Dan well understands what I mean. What SOME not ALL sellers are would be called speculators,you've heard the term I'm sure. As a life long musician and guitarist,I watched these "people" enter into the guitar collecting market and drive prices up to the point to where an average musician couldn't afford a nice vintage guitar because a bunch of suit and tie geeks who wouldn't know the difference between a G string and a G chord had bought up so much of the inventory and wanted prices only the rich could afford. I'm sure some here might think,what's wrong with that? And to anyone who thinks that,you have my pity. And yes boys,there are some dealers on ebay who are trying to do the same and then hide behind the old,the film is worth what the market will bear line. Just because their might be one person who could afford to overpay for a film he wants,that does not make that sale price a starting point for the next print of the same film. But when people start asking $75 for digests,it's getting crazy. And all I'm saying to fellow collectors is I've watched this in other hobbies,have friends who collected other hobbies and were slowly priced out of it by people who cared nothing for the hobby,buy just wanted to profit from it. And we would be terribly naive to think it wouldn't be happening here.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2009 02:07 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Dan I see now [Frown] .....yes I have often wondered if there were ways for folks to have their buddies bid on things just to drive the price up, but it seems like it would be easy to catch those people....As for accusations of which sellers might do something like this i think that can be risky....Venting is one thing.... but accusing without concrete proof should be avoided.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC