8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Best "Classic Era" Disney Digest? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Best "Classic Era" Disney Digest?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 30, 2009 09:28 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks!

How about this for a post? What do you feel is the best digest Disney put out from when they were releasing they're own films?
(pre-Derann). Note: This would not include the complete 200ft cartoons, as that is not a digest.

My personal nomination for the 200ft.

"I Wanna Be Like You" (Segment from Jungle Book)

I have always loved this rollicking good song from Jungle book, and the Disney studio wisely took this whole segment un-edited
and placed it on one reel.

My runner up I would have to label a 2X200ft.

"Best of Friends" and "Test of Courage" (segments from "The Fox and the Hound")

This was such a lovely film and in the case of the first one, it is an unedited segment when the two characters first meet and has that lovely song, "Best of Friends". Believe it or not, it has the ability to, to this day, bring a slight tear to my eye, and that is a really big feat. The second 200ft consists of the two characters as adults. It's mainly the whole ending with slight edits, and has the whole end sequence when the voices of them, as children are echo'd in the wind. Beautiful.

Best 400ft Digest

A Walt Disney Christmas

In this case, the Disney studio only did four instead of five cartoons to a 400ft digest, and that allowed for more complete cartoons, (though not full length).

first runner up:

Mickey and His Pals

This was a 400ft collection of sequences from many of the classic 1930's Mickey Donald ans Goofy cartoons and, as an extra, they had a little minute snippet from "Hawaiian Holiday", as if to say, after all they're adventures, they all go on vacation together. Splendid.

Second runner up ... The Black Hole

I just list this one as I admired the fact that Disney, instead of taking a lot of snippets from through-out the film, they instead took the complete "escape" sequence from the film. One wonders if they had originally meant to have a part 1 for this but declined to release it, which would have made this a great thirty minute digest.

There's my picks, what are yours?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 30, 2009 09:49 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
My votes:

200ft An Evening with Lady and the Tramp
This is the great sequence where the Tramp takes Lady to Tony's for a spaghetti dinner, and includes the great song Bella Norte

400ft A Walt Disney Christmas

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2009 11:15 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I agree with you about 'I wanna be like you'. One of my first super 8 films and I played it to death on my Eumig Mark S. But can we really call it a digest? as a digest IMO should tell the whole story in the reel and be edited. Mabye Im picking holes. [Roll Eyes]

Graham S

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2009 12:14 PM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine would be THE THREE CABELLEROS.
Played it constantly and later had to get a replacement copy.
Though it sadly ends right before the hilarious beach sequence, it does have the stuck-in-the-soundtrack gag with Donald and most of the main theme song with some live action shown. The sound quality is excellent as well.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2009 03:28 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I have only seen/owned about one third of the classic 200 foot Disney releases, my vote is less accurate. But, of the 15 to 20 Disney 200's I own, the most repeatable, crowd pleasers are-

1: Match of the Century (from Bedknobs & Broomsticks).

2: Super-Nanny (Mary Poppins)

3: Prince and the Dragon (Sleeping Beauty)

James

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2009 06:38 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
200ft sound MONSTER FROM UNDER THE SEA (20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA EXTRACT)

200ft sound THE BLACK HOLE a nice,well edited version of the film.

Pat [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 30, 2009 09:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick ...

I have always had a question about that 200ft of "Black Hole"

The 400ft starts right at the point when the astronauts are running to get to probe ship, (after they're own ship is destroyed) and it has the unedited section all the way up to the probe ship taking off.

What is the edit of the 200ft digest? I'd love to find out that its got a lot of stuff not on the 400ft.

I see where your coming from on "I Wanna Be Like You" The Disney "digests" tended to be whole scenes but quite frankly, I kind of prefer that to an eight minute version of a film, only giving perhaps a minute or less of prime scenes, which is why I have very few digests in my collection.

--------------------

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2009 08:09 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to agree with Osi. The one Disney reel from that era that holds up perfectly...( even the color on mine is still pretty good) is Wanna Be Like You. Just a delightful and very repeatable little reel. I bought it new when it was released..and I imagine it's been run more times than all the other dozens of Disney reels put together.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2009 08:26 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best 200ft - THE WINNER IS: THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE (from 'Fantasia').

Best 400ft - ...AND THE WINNER IS: Mickey Mouse: THE FIRST 50 YEARS .

The 200ft edited version of THE ARISTOCATS was, in my opinion, a very good digest.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 01, 2009 08:47 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian!

Good job. I had completely forgotten about "Micky Mouse - The First Fifty Years" That is a well structured "mini documentary", complete with fade ins/out, dissolves ect. They put a good deal of thought into that one.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2009 09:32 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Osi [Big Grin] ! It's actually one of my favorite.

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2009 10:09 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorites are : Whistle while you work 200ft

A Walt Disney Christmas 400ft

Cinderellas surprise dress 200ft

An evening with lady and the tramp 200ft

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 01, 2009 11:50 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian, I forgot to mention that "The Sorcerors Apprentice is a ood stand alone digest, as well as allows me to add it to my Fantasia 2000.

Was that ever released as part of Fantasia 2000?

My "classic Era" Disney print of this has a slight warming to the blacks, but the rest of the colors are spot on! This is a definite candidate for a re-recording in stereo, come to think of it, and I have the Laserdisc restored version to work with as well.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2009 12:20 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
You probably know some sequences from FANTASIA 2000 are available at Derann (the full feature too, of course!). But I'm sure that THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE has never been officially released in LPP.

My USA print is the same way yours is: very good color, but slight warming to the blacks. The Italian one I also own in my collection is really better (weird, but true): no fade and absolutely stunning.

Some of my WALT DISNEY HOME MOVIES - both Italian and American editions - are actually in this pictures (the ones in the back are simply trailers) [Cool] .

-

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 01, 2009 02:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A wonderful collection!

I saw a few Fantasia segment boxes in the back. Is there anyway that you can single those out and give us a picture of the boxes?

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2009 03:46 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Osi. You are always so kind.
If you falks (of course you too, Osi) are interested in some of these 'hand made' covers for Derann trailers and short/cut downs just write me:

gloncri (at) hotmail (dot) it

Some of them are really very well done!
I would be happy to supply them. In case, you just have to print them, cut and glue on the white plane boxes trailers are normally supplied by Derann (size is the right one. No need to adjust it). Or put them inside 200 ft plastic cases (that's my way [Big Grin] !).

This is the list of all available artworks:

Disney's Trailers
- SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS
- PINOCCHIO
- FANTASIA
- DUMBO
- BAMBI
- CINDERELLA
- SONG OF THE SOUTH
- SLEEPING BEAUTY
- 101 DALMATIANS (Italian credits)
- ALADDIN
- HERCULES
- THE LITTLE MARMAID (Italian credits)
- LADY AND THE TRAMP (Italian credits)
- THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (Italian credits)
- POCAHONTAS
- THE LION KING
- THE JUNGLE BOOK
- THE FOX AND THE HOUND
- WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT?
- TARZAN
- TOY STORY
- A BUG'S LIFE
- CARS

Miscellaneous Trailers
- Once Upon a Time in the West
- Saturday Night Fever
- The Silence of the Lambs
- Schindler's List
- Batman Forever
- Titanic
- Saving Private Ryan
- The Truman Show
- Gladiator
- Signs
- King Kong

Shorts and Excerpts
- Video Killed the Radio Star
- Can't Stop the Music (400 ft)
- Another Brick in the Wall
- The Fifth Element (400 ft)
- The Mines of Moria (400 ft)
- Madagascar Penguins in a Christmas Caper (400 ft)
- Gladiator (both excerpts on 400 ft)

Others
- Playground Skirmish (Matrix Reloaded)
- Summer Nights (Grease)
- Santa's Workshop
- The Night Before Christmas (Disney)
- The Night Before Christmas (Tom And Jerry)
- For The Birds (Pixar)
- The Soup Song

All being PDFs, I cannot post them here because of their size. So, if you want to receive a sample just to have an idea, let me know. Of course I will be happy to supply them for free!

Just write down a line here, first, to avoid to be excluded from my white mailing list.
CIAO

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2009 06:02 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. I went out of thread!

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 01, 2009 06:26 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi Osgood wrote:

quote:
Best 400ft Digest

A Walt Disney Christmas

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini wrote:

quote:
Best 200ft - THE WINNER IS: THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE (from 'Fantasia').

Best 400ft - ...AND THE WINNER IS: Mickey Mouse: THE FIRST 50 YEARS .

Osi and Gian...I just got them....not extremely cheap, but below the usual price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=200353700379

-

For GBP 11.49 is not bad because usually Walt Disney Christmas alone will go for GBP 15 and Sorcerer's Apprentice is around GBP 12, while Mickey 50th Years is the cheapest ones always around GBP 5

So it is good to get them in one hit... good for shipping and hopefully they are in good stock and good colours (knowing they are from the UK).

I am happy indeed [Wink] ,

--------------------
Winbert

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2009 06:44 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All three together, Winbert! You were more than lucky! Good reason to be as happy as you are. Enjoy them! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2009 07:03 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When were digests for Hercules, Aladdin and the others I see in strange clamshell cases in the top row of the picture released? I've never seen those.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2009 07:09 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,
clamshell cases in the back contain some Disney's trailers, as specified in one of my previous posts. Artworks are a 'creation' of a friend of mine, also collector [Wink] .

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 01, 2009 07:55 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! All three for 12 pounds! Do they all have decent color?

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 01, 2009 08:02 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

As I am in Toronto and those films were only sent within UK, so they are with my brother there, and I don't know how are their condition.

But having seen the boxes (esp. Mickey 50th) they seem to be later releases. So finger crossed to have LPP (for Christmas) and Fuji (for Mickey 50th and Apprentice).

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 01, 2009 08:17 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, I know how that is. I just bought a 400ft STAR WARS, just for the hell of it and unfortunately, the KODAK SP was faded. I would love to find a good color print of this 400ft, just for old times sake.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2009 05:01 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A most befuddling thing

Here's on of the rarest WALT DISNEY HOME MOVIES excerpt for sale on Ebay.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC