8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What do I use to clean a projector?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do I use to clean a projector?
Luis Gonzalez
Junior

- posted July 04, 2009 11:28 AM      Profile for Luis Gonzalez   Email Luis Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a Revere 85 projector for $2.00 (US) at a yard sale.(it works) I didn't need it but for 2 bucks I couldn't pass it up.
The projector did not have a cover and was stored in a attic so it's dusty and dirty.What can I use to clean the gate,sprockets etc. Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 04, 2009 12:40 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I think its a case of common sense really. Probably warm soapy water for the plastic case and other plastic parts but Isopropyl alcohol on the gate parts etc.
Isoprop does not attack plastic or rubber so can safely be used on parts you cant remove.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Luis Gonzalez
Junior

- posted July 04, 2009 02:10 PM      Profile for Luis Gonzalez   Email Luis Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I kind of thought Isopropyl alcohol would work but I wasn't sure. So I figured I'D ask you guys and you've come through again.
Muchas Gracias,
Luis

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2009 11:46 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Kevin, I thought Isopropyl was indeed not good for rubber - that it actually can erode it. I could be wrong - just want to be sure. I wish I could recall where I read it. Consarnit - now this is going to gnaw at me until I find where I saw it.

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2009 05:55 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi to Louis, Kevin & Brad.
Cleaning projectors is something I do nearly every day.
I have got it down to a simple but effective process that works well.
1st use a stiff dry brush to remove loose surface dirt.
2nd , Cover the lens or remove it then spray the whole machine with Nifty or similar kitchen surface cleaner & let it soak for a minute.
Then use a clean paint brush to work the nifty in, all over the body.
Next, use a clean cotton rag & wipe it all down. Gentle Air blow if you have compressed air.
Finally, use evaporative Brake Clean to clean the gate area & Claw & any other realy grimy areas.
To make them look real good after its clean, use Mr Shean or Armourall to restore the surface gleam.
I love the way the dirtiest projector can come out gleaming and looking terrific for display.
Good luck with yours.
dogtor pufferfish

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Glenn Brady
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2009 06:41 PM      Profile for Glenn Brady   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Brady   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although it may be effective for drying, compressed air applied to cameras and projectors for cleaning seems to me to be good only for blowing dirt deeper into the works (I often think canned air was invented by a camera repairer hoping to generate more business). I use a small vacuum cleaner and a soft brush in a clean environment when working on such gear.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 27, 2009 07:15 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A shop-vac, fitted with the little adapters for cleaning electronics, does a terrific job of pulling out dust and grime from the innards of the projector. I would never 'wash' the projector in anything. Much better to do hand cleaning with q-tips moistoned with furniture polish. Armorall wipes are great for restoring the exterior of the projector to as new condition, and are also great for the film path and all plastic components.
Here is my own Revere 88, also found dirty and disfunctional at a garage sale FOR $5.00, but now fully restored after a little TLC:

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2009 11:31 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul - that looks sensational! WOW!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC