8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Who released Acquasanta Joe on Super 8?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who released Acquasanta Joe on Super 8?
David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2009 08:11 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just finished running Acquasanta Joe (1971) a spaghetti western in 3 x 400 format with Ty Hardin. Who released it?

It is actually a good western and kept me entertained until the end. You don't feel like you have missed any of the full feature.

I ran another 3 x 400ft title put out by IE International called Dead Stop. It was actually terrible. It is another Italian made film, but I can find no details on IMDB. Does anyone know anything about this film?

It is by Tinto Brass who made Salon Kitty amongst others.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2009 09:42 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as I know, in Italy IE International released "Acquasanta Joe" too: it appears in their 1982-83 catalogue.

--------------------
Maurizio

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2009 09:46 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

"IE international" released "Acquasanta Joe" on Super8 with an Italian soundtrack:
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/driveapples/stampe.html
As "IE international" also released some films on the German and English market, they might have released your version as well.

"Dead Stop":
I guess that it's the film "Col cuore in gola" (1967) as it was released as "Dead stop - Le coeur aux lèvres" in France.
This page confirms that my guess is correct:
"... I was flabbergasted. This was a three-reel (about 60-minute) condensation of the ORIGINAL English-language version, which sounds BEAUTIFUL! It was released in the UK by IE International of Italy in Super 8 sound — and letterboxed to boot! The cover gives the title as Heart Beat, but the opening credits announce the movie as Dead Stop. ..."

Hope this helps,
Jörg

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2009 06:57 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio and Joerg, thank you!

Both of these 3 x 400ft versions in my collection are in English. I guessed they were both IE International as their films were distributed here by a major department store chain.

Yes, Dead Stop is Letterboxed. Both have some fade.

The quality of Acquasanta Joe is really very good with nice sharpness.

Thanks again.

Peter van Zand
Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2009 03:14 PM      Profile for Peter van Zand   Author's Homepage   Email Peter van Zand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that link Joerg. That is some extensive research, it made me dig out my IE copy of Heart Beat. I will watch it tonight and see if it changes my opinion about this movie (I admit I didn't get it at all the first time, and the second.. [Smile]

update: Well, I watched it again but I still don't get it. A pleasure to watch, though.

[ October 04, 2009, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Peter van Zand ]

--------------------
www.vergetenfilm.nl

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2009 05:04 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have both of these films on ebay now. Please note that the colour has some fade in both and there is light scratching throughout.

The last few months I have been selling films to make way for new ones in my collection. My Derann Christmas films have arived already! - can't watch them until then however.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2009 03:54 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,

quote:
Well, I watched it again but I still don't get it.
you aren't alone with this problem as the creator of this page had the same difficulties:
quote:
The Super 8 film ... was terribly mastered to begin with. The abridgment is awful, and it unintentionally changes the plot. Much dialogue is missing, which means that my dream of re-creating the original English version is impossible unless more material turns up somewhere. As mentioned, much of the French version of this movie retains the original English dialogue, and some of that English dialogue is identical to what we hear in this 8mm English version, but some of it is different — different voices, different dialogue. Most curious.
Jörg

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC