8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Silicone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Silicone
Barrie Didham
Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2009 12:27 AM      Profile for Barrie Didham   Email Barrie Didham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to come across afew films that need some tender loving care,but over the last few years im finding more covered in Silicone,this makes it almost impossible to edit damaged prints.

How do i remove it and why am i seeing this more and more with the films i collect,is there are good reason for why they use it on the films?

--------------------
Between Heaven and Hell there will always be Super8

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2009 10:40 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
This is next to impossible, if not impossible to remove. The coating was popular for films loaded into continous carts.

You can try cleaning the very edge where you're trying to splice with denatured alcohol but I wouldn't hold much hope for tape splicing. You should be able to cement splice acetate and ultrasonic splice estar.

John

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2009 04:28 AM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barrie,

as very old and dry prints (mostly on b/w stock?) tend not to run on ELMO projectors especially, some collectors treat the films with silicone. I have never done this by myself, but some friends of me have.

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2009 08:00 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To clean my films and to make them less noisy more flexible, with projection and to avoid the tremors in the projectors, I use the lubricant with silicone for a long time! Without danger to films and cleaning is very effective!
 -

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC