8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Camcorder not focusing ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Camcorder not focusing ?
Bill Walsh
Junior

- posted November 17, 2009 07:03 AM      Profile for Bill Walsh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

I am attempting to transfer a bunch of old 8mm films to DVD and I am having problems with my camcorder. I am using a Sony Handycam DVD 610 to record the images. What is happening is that the Sony seems to be having a problem focusing on the image on the screen.

Is this due to the flicker I am always hearing about ? A frame rate thing ? Unfortunately the projector I have(Kodak Moviedeck) does not have adjustable speed.

I'm curious what your thoughts are.

Thanks

Bill

|  IP: Logged

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2009 08:01 AM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put some kind of image/picture/poster at the screen's position and do a manual focus. Leave the camera at that focus setting for your movie.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 17, 2009 08:04 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible you are at less than the minimum focusing distance?

When I do a video transfer I am usually out 3 or 4 feet from the screen.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bill Walsh
Junior

- posted November 17, 2009 08:14 AM      Profile for Bill Walsh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried it up close shooting onto a 6 x 8 white board and from a distance of about 8 feet with the same problem. I will try manual focus, thanks for the idea ! Do you think it has anything to do with flicker ?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 17, 2009 09:44 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did mine with a Sony camcorder in autofocus mode and I didn't have focus issues even when it was flickering.

How you will experience flickering is a pulsating in the brightness of the picture on screen. As the camcorder capture speed and the projector shutter speed get closer and closer the flicker slows down and then stops when one is an even multiple of the other. Unfortunately since you don't have a variable speed projector you probably won't be able to do anything about this.

If I remember right, the flip-out screen on the side of the camcorder doesn't show flicker, but is useful for getting everything aligned. Once you are there you need to use the viewfinder. Then you will see it.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2009 09:57 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!

This problem has nothing to do with flicker, it is a matter of variation between light/dark. For those who have seen pirated films that were recorded with a camera in a cinema, they will see the same focusing issue.

Use a manual focus camera or a different light setting.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC