8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Help Projector Dying

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help Projector Dying
Vince Rymarchyk
Junior

- posted November 27, 2009 06:09 PM      Profile for Vince Rymarchyk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to throw this out there in the event anyone can help.

I have a Sears Du-all 8mm/S8mm projector and have been going through old family
films to figure out what to save & what to trash.

After about 20 reels, the projector began to slow down to where a visible
flicker appeared and the frame rate went from 18 fps to approximately 6 fps.

I opened it up, cleaned out all the junk I could find but could not get the unit
up to speed.

Any suggestions on what I may need to do?

|  IP: Logged

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2009 07:26 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
Sounds like the motor belt is worn out
Slipping on the spindle
Really don't have a source for 8mm projectors parts
Just 16mm

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Michael Dixon
Junior

- posted November 27, 2009 08:21 PM      Profile for Michael Dixon   Email Michael Dixon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have the model number of the projector? Starts with one, two or three numerals followed by a dot/period/decimal, then other numbers. The number(s) in front of the dot identify the manufacturer. I have a Sears projector, older than yours, from 1963 that is model 3.9288. I strongly suspect that it was made by Bell and Howell, but have not absolutely confirmed. I saw a B&H on eBay that looked like my Sears. If you could identify the manufacturer, that might help find needed parts.
This is my first day and post on this forum. Will be asking for lots of help and perhaps sometimes able to offer help.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 27, 2009 09:06 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Gentlemen!

Welcome to the forum.

We like to dig into probelems like this here because a) we like to help people, and b) Some of us enjoy fixing these machines so much we can't stop at just out own (it's a sickness!)

I agree: it sounds like a belt. At the very least that would be an easy fix once you found a belt.

Vince: if you can't figure out which manufacturer it is then why not post some pictures here and maybe someone will recognize it.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2009 12:21 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
some of the Sears models were basically re-labeled Bell & Howells

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC