8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Is this "Videoscope" a lens that we can use on projector (8mm/16mm)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this "Videoscope" a lens that we can use on projector (8mm/16mm)
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 07, 2009 07:31 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I was outbid with the below Ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300373673332&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:US:1123

I am not sure with this item so I took a risk, but another bidder outbid me for a dollar.

That's OK.

But for my future reference, is this a lens that we can use in front of the projector (8mm/16mm).

The name of "Videoscope" has made me doubt it, but having seen the word of "Anarmorphic lens" confused me.

It is Kowa 2x lens.

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2009 10:49 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

That is a 'Scope lens for film use, made by Kowa. It's called the Vidoscope 16, hence your mix-up with 'video' [Smile]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 08, 2009 06:27 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Claus, I missed the opportunity to have a good anamorphic lens, didn't I.

It is only $19!!!

[Mad]

and I have contacted the seller that he assured me the lens does not have any scratch or fungus.

I believe this kind of lens is normally sold for $50 up, is that right?

[ December 08, 2009, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2009 01:57 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Sorry to tell you, but yes, they do go for more normally.

However, I just did a quick search on EBay; here's something:

http://cgi.ebay.com/EIKI-16mm-ANAMORPHIC-LENS-16F-5-FT-TO-INFINITY_W0QQitemZ230407013224QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a5540368

I don't know how well that would do with an 8mm projector, but for 16mm that should suit you fine (I have similar right now.)
Do a search on the forum to see posts about using these types of anamorphs on Super-8 machines.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2009 02:19 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
You should be aware that the back "neck" of these lenses is smaller than the 16C/F lens. In fact it matches the back of the Bolex 1.5x 16mm lens and would fit in the Bolex holder for photography.

Since it's back element is smaller, you probably wouldn't want to go much below a 2 inch prime lens. I have a couple of these around, but never used them for projection.

The problem with any Anamorphic is quality. That's something you just can't judge on ebay. The biggest problem is the front and back elements go out of alignment. They can be trued back up by a lens repairman if any such person exists anymore. There are two pieces that keep the lens front and back in alignment while you focus and these can be touched up or replaced to get the elements true again.

Buhl modified a number of Sankor 16c lenses by removing them from the Sankor barrel and you were on your own to focus and adjust astigmatism and then lock it with a set-screw. Good for a permanent set-up, not if you need to adjust distance when you set-up your projector and screen.

The Kowa 16H (8Z) has the large (52mm) rear barrel and are generally in good condition as to sharpness. But any of these lenses could probably be improved by adjustment by an optical engineer.

John

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC