8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig Mark DL - motor stalled......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig Mark DL - motor stalled......
Richard Gordon
Junior

- posted December 09, 2009 08:51 PM      Profile for Richard Gordon   Email Richard Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The motor of my Eumig Mark DL has stalled completely. I can rotate the spindle by prodding it so I assume the bearings have not seized. I can hear a hum...is it a funeral march or can the motor be saved? Grateful for your advice, Richard

|  IP: Logged

Michael Dixon
Junior

- posted December 10, 2009 07:13 AM      Profile for Michael Dixon   Email Michael Dixon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not familiar with that machine. Will the motor run if spun by hand while energized? Single-phase electric motors must have some means of starting the motor, often by an auxiliary winding or by a "shaded pole". An Internet search should show photos of the shaded pole type. I just looked at one of the cheaper GAF projectors and it is shaded pole. Worn motor bearings/bushings may cause binding when the motor is energized as the windings pull the rotor tight against the field pole frames. Sometimes such wear is not evident if the motor is not energized. Shaded pole motors have very low starting torque. High drag/friction in other parts of the projector may hinder motor starting. If not shaded pole, look for a capacitor with the leads to the motor. If a capacitor is present, replace it and see if that solves the problem.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaded-pole_motor

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2009 07:32 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eumigs tended to use "shaded pole" motors (look for the copper shaded pole coils). Is the hum coming from the motor or the transformer? If from the motor, it sounds as if there may be shorting turns on the winding (usually a singe winding) If so, it's had it.
If you can send me a picture of the motor in situ in the machine to blagdonian(at)btinternet(dot)com I may be able to help further.

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Richard Gordon
Junior

- posted December 10, 2009 05:45 PM      Profile for Richard Gordon   Email Richard Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martin and Michael, thanks for your replies. I've examined the motor; it's a shaded pole type (no capacitor and I can see part of the shading coil). The hum is from the motor! However, the spindle, though rotatable by using a screwdriver to push it round is quite stiff. So it's probable that the bearings need some lubrication. Is it possible to achieve this just by letting some light machine oil soak down the sides of the rotor?
Regards, Richard
Since writing the above, I've lubricated the rotor area and the top bearing; prodded the rotor round a bit "et voila!" - there's life after death [Smile] . It's currently rotating as sweet as ever! Maybe I shouldn't have left it unused for 17 years....

[ December 10, 2009, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Richard Gordon ]

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2009 12:20 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard could you post a pic of the spots where you "oiled" it?

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2009 03:45 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only two points benefit from oiling..... the two shaft bearings.
The rotor runs with an air gap; no friction involved so oiling here only makes the rotor oily and it will eventually finish up in the bottom of the machine! My earlier remark about "had it" was based on "I assume the bearings have not seized".
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Richard Gordon
Junior

- posted December 21, 2009 07:26 PM      Profile for Richard Gordon   Email Richard Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martin, yes I know there's an air gap; I trickled a little oil down the rotor because I could find no other way to lubricate the lower bearing without taking the projector apart!
Dino - I'll post a photo as soon as I can. Regards, Richard

Jeffrey Butler
Junior

- posted February 01, 2018 03:58 PM      Profile for Jeffrey Butler   Email Jeffrey Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have replaced my two belts on my Elmo ST 180 other than the red light coming on you would not know it was on.I can move the belts by hand, when I removed the old belts I am almost certain the motor was humming

[ February 01, 2018, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Jeffrey Butler ]

--------------------
Jeff

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC