8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Star Trek TOS on Super 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Trek TOS on Super 8
Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2009 03:57 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I got 2 Episodes from Star Trek TOS on Super 8:
- The man trap
- City on the edge of forever

Now I want to know, who released these films on Super 8 ?

I think "The man trap" were made by Red Fox.
Didn't have the leaders of the reels...

Regards,
Michael

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

|  IP: Logged

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2009 04:14 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a thread on this similar subject not too long ago, which suggested that Canterbury Films was behind the release of Star Trek TOS.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2009 06:39 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Christian.
Didn't realise that the thread is about Star Trek [Wink]
Now I have found my informations...
"The Man Trap" is from Red Fox and "City on the edge of forever" was made by Caterbury Films.

--------------------

Paul Martin
Junior

- posted December 17, 2009 06:52 AM      Profile for Paul Martin   Email Paul Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hallo - while on the subject if I may, how much Star Trek went on 8mm? I've got the 400ft 'Is there in truth no beauty' stinker from Season 3 and 3x400ft Motion Picture release (in original box... drooolllll).
I missed out on ebay a few months ago on the 3x400ft 2nd pilot, I wasn't that rich!

Cheers,
Paul.

--------------------
The world needs more Star Trek on 8mm! :)

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2009 07:55 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

I paid for the two episodes about 75 Euros each.

Regards,
Michael

--------------------

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2009 08:18 AM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have City on the Edge of Forever. I paid $41.00 for it on Ebay this year.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 17, 2009 08:31 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How has the color held up on your prints Micheal? I've heard that most prints of these are either slightly or terribly faded.
(some of that could be due to poor negatives however.)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Norman Fisher
Junior

- posted December 17, 2009 09:36 AM      Profile for Norman Fisher   Email Norman Fisher       Edit/Delete Post 
The negatives Osi were not originally that bad. As a 'Trekker' in the 1970's I used to attend all the Trek conventions in Los Angeles back in the 1970's. When the Canterbury Trek films first came out in 1975, they were quite a big deal at the time. (pre vcr days)The dealers at the conventions would have a super 8 projector at their table and would screen the films through out the day. I very much remember staring and drooling over them, because as a 13 year old kid at the time, they were out of my price range. The quality of the prints were very colorful and sharp back in 1975. I never saw any hint of redness. I think I read somewhere they were bootlegs from TV station prints? So anyway they must have been put on the old Kodak stock, because most today have faded. I have about 7 episodes on super 8 collected off of Epay, and all have warmed except for strangely enough TOMORROW IS YESTERDAY, which has held up perfectly.

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2009 09:53 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were three companies that did Star Trek episodes in 16mm (not sure about super 8). Canterbury, Thunderbird, and a third one whose name escapes me. I've got a few of these on LPP stock, so they were printed into the 80s (no negative fading Osi). The quality varied - some are quite good, others were pretty lousy. I forget which company did the better work.

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2009 01:50 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The colours on both episodes turned to red, but there are other colours still to see. TMT is on acetat stock and is more redish.
I think CONTEOF is made on polyester stock. It turned a little bit to red, too.
I would say they are relatively "okay". Not so bad, but not good.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 15, 2010 05:09 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Just recently got two Star Trek Episodes:

The Man Trap

Where No Man has Gone

each for $20 !!

BTW, talking about the above lists, they were re-listed items where the first listings were no bid. A very strange indeed.

It was listed under Collectibles > Science Fiction & Horror > Star Trek > Original Series. Apparently, the TREKKERS do not really want to collect 8mm.

Anyway, the seller says in his description "The 8mm has been watched and is in very good condition."

I am curios to know what is "VERY GOOD" supposed to be. Hopefully this is one of low fade prints!. [Cool] [Wink]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC