8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Soundproblem with my Elmo ST-1200

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Soundproblem with my Elmo ST-1200
Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 02:40 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

have little problem with my Elmo ST-1200 HD 2-Track.
Even if I re-recorded an soundtrack, there is a little bit from the old recording in the background. It's a little bit annoying if you hear in the front the german soundtrack and in the background the original one.
Leveling is correct, the heads were cleaned, the knob for "Normal-/DoubleRec" in on the position "Normal".

Any ideas ?

Regards,
Michael

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 07:51 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5 general causes for this symptom, not limited to any particular machine;
1. Dirty erase head
2. Worn erase head
3. Insufficient erase head pad pressure
4. Insufficient erase head current
5. Rare, but possible, erase head has residual magnetism (usually removed by the erase head current automatically.)
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 07, 2010 09:04 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about with the possibility of misaligned of erase head, Martin?

--------------------
Winbert

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 11:48 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only a problem if the head is completely separate and not part of a combined assembly; and it would have to be very badly misaligned to leave part of the stripe uncovered. On a combined assembly the loss of treble in the reproduction would point to any even slight misalignment.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 07, 2010 01:45 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michale, there is a gear that can totally erase the magnetic sound. It is kind of a box and we give magnetic wave (?). I have seen this during the old days when we were going to quickly erase the cassette tape and record a new sound into it. It just took a second to erase the sound from it.

Since it would not change the picture on the cells so it would not harm your film.

rgds,

--------------------
Winbert

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2010 03:49 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to you, folks.

Winbert,
if I use this, my balance-track would be deleted, too.

Martin,
perhaps it is the pressure on the head or the head is damaged.
I cleaned the heads before re-recording something to get the best possible sound.

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 11, 2010 04:39 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
This is very often caused by the small black presser not pushing down the film onto the heads sufficiently to give good contact. I have seen many times Elmos where one of the small balck tips has a flat on the surface which gives rise to this problem. If the other track is erasing ok then I would suspect that electrically all is ok as the circuit is just switched between the heads. If both tracks have the same problem then it could be that the record frequency has drifted and the most likely cause will be the oscilator capacitor.

The whole black presser block can be replaced and Wittners in Germany can supply these. Yes head wear can be a problem but you really do have to put miles of film through these machine to get enough head wear to cause these sort of problems. If the heads are that worn then expect plenty of film scratching as well.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 07:11 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev,
thanks for your information.
Good to see you back in the forum ! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC