8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Were any Lucio Fulci movies ever released on super 8?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Were any Lucio Fulci movies ever released on super 8?
Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2010 06:51 PM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to know if any Fulci films were ever officially released on super 8, especially my favourite Zombie Flesh Eaters. Perhaps our Italian friends can shed light on this?

|  IP: Logged

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2010 08:35 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark, how are you?
I don't know if you are only referring to Fulci's horror movies.
If you do, I'm sorry having to say the only official movie issued here in Italy was NON SI SEVIZIA UN PAPERINO (aka DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING, 1972).

The 8mm editon was released by MEDUSA FILM in late 70's. Mounted on 4*600ft reels, color is holding up very well (Kodak SP stock) although a little pinkish. Yes... All existing copies have unfortunately this pink cast to the color.
Very good mono sound, nice box with original artwork (stating 'for over 18-year-olds only': you probably know this movie had a looooooooooot of problems with censors bacause of the explicit criticism to the Roman Catholic Church...).

I actually onw a copy of this in my collection (not for sale, sorry [Big Grin] !) but I know so many Italian collectors and maybe someone could have one for sale, who knows?
It's a quite rare title, but not impossible to find.

Sorry having to state ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS (aka ISLAND OF THE LIVING DEAD / WOODOO / ZOMBI 2 / ZOMBIE or ZOMBIE ISLAND) has never been released in 8mm.
Ciao!

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 04:23 AM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gian, thanks for the very detailed response. At least I know now that he's one of those directors who'll never make it in to my S8 collection. Thank you.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 04:32 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More than welcome! Ciao.

--------------------

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 05:40 AM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of Lucio Fulci films were released in Germany:

TEMPO DI MASSACRO, 1966:
-Piccolo 3x400ft ("Django - Sein Gesangbuch war der Colt")
(temporarily for sale on "mediavana.de")

ZANNA BIANCA/CROC-BLANC, 1973
-UFA-ATB 2x400ft ("Wolfsblut/Im Goldrausch von Alaska" - available in colour as well as in b/w)
-SilMa, Italy: Full-length feature 5x600ft

IL RITORNO DI ZANNA BIANCA/LA REVANCHE DE CROC BLANC, 1974.
-CMV Commerzfilm/Constantin 3x400ft ("Die Teufelsschlucht der wilden Wölfe")

LA PAURA NELLA CITTA DEI MORTI VIVENTI, 1980
-Piccolo 2x400ft ("Ein Zombie hing am Glockenseil" - prints of this film were officially confiscated in Germany)

Gian Luca, weren't there also two other full-length-releases in Italy:

-LA PRETORA, 1976: SilMa

-I QUATTRO DELL‘APOCALISSE, 1975: SilMa ?

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 08:26 AM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, the plot thickens... Tanks for that Eberhard. Am I right in understanding that LA PAURA NELLA CITTA DEI MORTI VIVENTI was known in English-speaking areas as City of the Living Dead? If it is that one then there's hope I may one day capture one of my fave Italian horrors (not as classy as "Zombie Flesh Eaters" but a worthy title worth hunting for).

Thanks guys for your help and information.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 10:58 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know if you are only referring to Fulci's horror movies .
If you do, I'm sorry having to say the only official movie issued here in Italy was NON SI SEVIZIA UN PAPERINO (aka DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING, 1972).

quote:
Gian Luca, weren't there also two other full-length-releases in Italy

Hi Eberhard. They were, indeed, but as I have quoted I thought Mark was only asking about horrors [Eek!] . That's way I did not say anything about other Fulci's movies officially issued here on 8mm [Wink] .

BTW, the authorized issues, as you stated, are three:

-

ZANNA BIANCA (1973) issued on 5*600ft by Sil.ma;

-

I 4 DELL'APOCALISSE (1975) edited version issued on 4*600ft by Sil.Ma;

-

LA PRETORA (1976) issued on 4*600ft once again by Sil.Ma.

Mark, the English edition of PAURA NELLA CITTA' DEI MORTI VIVENTI is CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD as you rightly stated. The movie is also known as THE GATES OF HELL.

It's going to be really hard to get the German edition of PAURA NELLA CITTA' for the reason Eberhard has stated. But it is not impossible. Good luck!

-

Remember also that in this post we are talking about official releases. And 8mm piracy was in Italy (it's not a secret) a wide case during the 70's-80's.

Lot of unauthorized titles were issued sometimes in a VERY LIMITED number of copies. About horrors, two good examples, Mark, are Romero's ZOMBI (European cut for DAWN OF THE DEAD) and Argento's TENEBRE (that was one of the very last movie printed on 8mm just a little before the VIDEO TAPE ERA). Only a fistful of copies issued (= more than rare [Big Grin] ).

This means a LOT OF TITLES could exist and we would not probably know. But, once again, I'm quite sure no copies of the movies you are dreaming about exist.
Ciao.

--------------------

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 12:52 PM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gian,

Yes, it was only the horrors that interested me, especially zombie movies. I love Argento's European cut of Zombie (Dawn of the Dead) but have pretty much given up any hope of ever owning this particular film due to its rarity value.

Apart from Fulci's Zombie (Flesh Eaters) I have a bit of a soft spot for the Beyond (English title) but that's another film I'll probably never find. One other holy grail title I've never seen is (the non Fulci) Spanish/Italian "Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue" (U.S. title "Don't Open the Window"). I'll have to make do with the dvd.

Thanks chaps, your information is invaluable. At least I know there were releases once upon a time that I can hunt for.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 01:14 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grau's NON PROFANARE IL SONNO DEI MORTI (or NON SI DEVE PROFANARE IL SONNO DEI MORTI and, again, NON SI DEVE DISTURBARE IL SONNO DEI MORTI) has never been issued on 8mm here in Italy. But I ignore if it was in Spain.

Stay tuned: Romero's ZOMBI could appear. I have sold one of my two prints a year ago, more or less

Dawn of the Dead for sale [Eek!] .

Ciao.

--------------------

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 01:31 PM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian, if you ever hear of Zombi making an appearance please e-mail or Facebook me. Regards,
Mark

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 01:44 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miguelito (from DAWN OF THE DEAD - super 8 Italian edition)

A couple of minutes from the copy I sold last year that I filmed and uploaded on YouTube (beware: a 'little' disturbing).

Of course I will. I already wrote a 'wanted' post to ask for a print for sale (won't be easy, but we'll never know if we don't try [Wink] ) on the Italian 8mm forum!

Take a look here:

Zombie WANTED

Ciao.

--------------------

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 02:23 PM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you sir!

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2010 09:13 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mark, how are you?
If still interested, I found a copy of DAWN OF THE DEAD (Italian edition on 6*600ft, super 8 color - sound).

It's an ex-rental copy.
Let me know if you are still after it.

I will send you a PM.
Ciao [Wink] .

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC