8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ultimate Standard 8mm projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ultimate Standard 8mm projector
Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2010 08:57 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the very dawn of Super 8, I remember seeing an annoucement, I believe in Popular Photography, about a new standard 8mm sound projector that appeared to be as large as a GS 1200 in the photo (a man standing beside it). My faint memory recalls it being from either Fairchild or Viewlex and the projector was designed for commercial use like in schools. With the intro of Super 8, I do not believe it was ever marketed...does anyone know what machine I am talking about?

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Horan
Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2010 09:23 PM      Profile for Kenneth Horan   Email Kenneth Horan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the projector you refer to is the Calvin Sound 8. It was a R8 magnetic sound record and playback projector made by the Calvin Company of Kansas City. It dates back to 1956 and was made for several years.

-

--------------------
Ken Horan

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2010 09:37 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! An impressive projector , indeed. I did not even know this existed , thanks for the photo and history.
But no, this is not the machine I saw, this machine was announced in early 1965 and the more I think about it , I think it was from Viewlex an audio-visual company introducing their first pro 8mm cine product. The machine I saw was very modern looking somewhat like a 16mm Graflex projector in use in American schools at the time.
Also, for history buffs, at the same time ,early 1965 Fairchild introduced a new 8mm sound-on-film camera, that I believe took 200 ft rolls and was leap forward in sound quality, employing the Fairchild innovation of "Hall sensor recording" which I believe super 8 sound cameras eventualy employed. In would be 8 years before super 8 had sound-on-film capability. This camera I believe never saw production either.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 05:35 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on the WOW!

I would love to have this beauty! I have never seen one. Is this your personal projector?

Bill

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC