8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Thanks Derann

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thanks Derann
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 20, 2010 08:50 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week I sent an e-mail to Gary regarding a film from their used list, this was on Tuesday 12th....well yesterday it arrived it took only less than 8 days to cover the 12.000 miles or more to get here "very quick"
 -
In the 15 years of dealing with Derann the old mailbox has had thousands of $$$$$ worth sitting in it, my biggest concern was not that the films would get stolen but the weather would get to them first.

Well after 30 years of thinking about it, it came yesterday "The Great Waldo Pepper" I really did not expect much as many Universal prints have now faded into the sunset...well to my surprise this one is not to bad a bit faded on the interior shots but rest is fine and its the flying is what this film is all about.
 -

-
me....warming the mighty GS1200 up for "Waldo"
 -
The Great Waldo [Robert Redford] sorry not a good shot to much action going on for the digital camera to catch.

Well... whatever the future holds for Super8 I have had a great run and a big thanks to all those at Derann thats made it possible.

PS.
Lastly I hope you dont mind "last photo" and its away of topic but we had a young visitor that day my grandson Connor I think he to likes "Elmo" projectors [Smile]
 -

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 20, 2010 09:00 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks to be an excellent film mailbox, Graham.

Anything bigger than a 400 footer won't fit in mine.

Fortunately we added a front porch to keep those out of the weather!

I always remember the first time I showed a film to my son: he was a little bit overwhelmed by the big white screen, but the cartoons won him over pretty quickly.

PS: Belated Happy Birthday and Happy New Year!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 20, 2010 09:32 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann uses UPS fr sending parcel overseas, right? Doesn't it require signature? Whu you need to to worry with the weather, Graham?

ps: Unfortunately Derann does not want to send with Royal Mail small parcel which is cheaper. I cannot afford to pay their good deal offers due to UPS high cost [Frown]

--------------------
Winbert

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2010 09:36 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham
Nice to see yout finally got a print of that film, I remember ages ago that you were interested in that one, I used to have it myself but it was in very poor condition so I got rid of it.
Pat [Wink]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2010 02:30 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good news about your film Graham and the excellent delivery. The The fact that Derann use UPS for "export mail" has been discussed many times before, but I will say this - you ordered your film on the 12th January and it took 8 days to travel 12,000 miles.(You get what you pay for.....)

I ordered a film with Gary on the 8th January and it was posted on the 11th January.I live about 100 miles from Derann and Royal Mail have NOT delivered it YET!!!! [Eek!]

You lucky devil...... [Razz]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 21, 2010 03:12 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve [Smile]

Winbert you dont have to sign anything, you have to remember that outside the UK we are lucky we dont pay VAT, that comes of the total so allowing the difference between the saving in VAT,and the cost of postage its not bad.

Postage has never been a concern to me but what has always worried me over the years is my physical and mental well being when the wife finds out I have bought some films in the first place [Eek!]

Keith hope they arrive soon.

Graham. [Smile]

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2010 03:26 AM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Hubert/Keith

"The Great Waldo Pepper" was sent via air mail and not via UPS

We generally only use UPS for parcels of over 2,000 grammes in weight. Please note that we receive a bulk usage discount in UPS rates which are passed on to our customers, bringing costs in line with air mail parcel post

I hope that this information is of some assistance

Kindest Regards

Gary

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2010 03:44 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary - can I have mine sent by "Airmail" next time? It's got to be quicker than "Snail Mail" [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2010 03:54 AM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one Keith!

Look forward to meeting you on Sunday

Kindest Regards

Gary

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 21, 2010 12:05 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
- you ordered your film on the 12th January and it took 8 days to travel 12,000 miles.(You get what you pay for.....)
That the same speed with Royal Mail small packet (air mail) from UK to Indonesia, which cost only GBP3.5 for 2 * 200 feet. Royal Mail does have a compensation to max GBP 39 which is fair enough for a small item like that.

quote:
"The Great Waldo Pepper" was sent via air mail and not via UPS

Gary, so Derann can now send one or two reel with Air Mail? (which I believe is via Royal Mai small packet). Please re-confirm this for us.

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2010 01:04 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, [Smile]
Thanks for posting pictures of the worlds first Chief projectionist of holographic cinema xx
Stewart

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2010 02:57 PM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Hubert

Yes, no problem at all

Kindest Regards

Gary

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 21, 2010 03:34 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, no problem at all
Good !! [Big Grin]

Eagerly to buy for the next list...!

--------------------
Winbert

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2010 07:22 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too think that Derann is making a great job.
But!
Since Gary has commented in this thread I thought I could ask him a question here, if nobody minds. (even if you do i'll already have done so when you read this [Big Grin] )

Gary, on sunday (17th) I wrote to your mail at Derann asking about a title on your february list, and as of now I have still not received a reply. And before you ask, yes I put DFS in the subject line. Has it been lost in cyberspace or accidently ben deleted among the hords of spam I guess you are getting daily? (When i started work after my christmas vacation I had over 200 mails in my mailbox at work, only 5 was work related [Mad] )

Please tell me if I should resend the mail.

[ January 21, 2010, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Lars-Goran Ahlm ]

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 03:25 AM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Lars-Goran

Please re-send your original e-mail, which I have no record of receiving

Kindest Regards

Gary

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 03:37 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me or are all toddlers drawn towards the art of projection? When I'm screening films the kids (that I'm uncle to) come running!

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 03:57 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the only problem is, when they don't stop running in time and they knock over the equipment!!! [Eek!]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 22, 2010 11:08 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
News...Flash... [Smile] The latest Derann list has another copy of "The Great Waldo Pepper"...better be quick [Wink]

PS. another little gem they have is Oswald the Rabbit in "Egg Cracker Suite" I got a Castle copy many moons ago its a brilliant cartoon.

Graham. [Smile]

PS. Well today the 24th Jan I found out who bought that copy of "Waldo" it was....me [Roll Eyes] ...I was looking at the old newsletter didn't click to check the date till this morning [Eek!] ...so my humble apology on that one. [Eek!]

[ January 23, 2010, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 25, 2010 12:14 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at some old "Derann" film boxes yesterday I thought it would be a nice way... a sort of tribute to all those years of enjoyement of running Super8 film, if anyone would like to add to this you are more than welcome. [Smile]
 -

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC