8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Standard 8mm soundtrack

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Standard 8mm soundtrack
James Wheeler
Junior

- posted February 10, 2010 11:03 AM      Profile for James Wheeler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about taking DVD's of my silent films and extracting the sound track to edit it for the film. Has anyone tried to do this on the forum and if so, what was the result? I'm open for tips and suggestions.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2010 12:09 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] Not sure exactly what you're trying to do...extracting the soundtrack from where?

--------------------
Joe Taffis

James Wheeler
Junior

- posted February 10, 2010 01:26 PM      Profile for James Wheeler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to attempt turning the soundtrack of a DVD into an mp3 file and then burning it onto a CD. I will then attempt to sync the CD to the beginning of the film. I was wondering if anyone has attempted this and were they successful?

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2010 04:14 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi James,
that sounds very tricky given the chances that most standard 8 machines will not be capable of maintaining a perfectly regular speed.
Though if the original sound was essentially 'wild' (no lip sync) this may be enough,
John

James Wheeler
Junior

- posted February 11, 2010 10:14 AM      Profile for James Wheeler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of the projector speed so I was going to record my film to the computor and match the sound that way. It probably won't work, but I keep reading about re-recording super 8 so that's why I started thinking about doing this.

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2010 10:44 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just play the dvd and project the film and see what you get for synch? The DVD will play back at the same time each time it's played (unlike videotape).

BTW if you extract the sound and then want to burn it to a CD, you'll have to have a CD player that can play MP3 or convert the sound to CD format which will limit it's running time to that a of CD.

Just play the DVD and if you can adjust the speed of your projector, do so to match the sound track. Generally the re-recording involves taking a synch pulse off the dvd player (from the video output) and using it to drive the projector motor to keep at constant speed. This is much easier in Europe with 50hz power and 25 fps video than it is in the US with 29.97 video (or 23.97 film) and 60 hz power so there's some "jugling" involved in the electronics.

John

James Wheeler
Junior

- posted February 15, 2010 11:08 AM      Profile for James Wheeler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John, something to think about.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC