8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chinon 9500 mag/optical

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon 9500 mag/optical
Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2010 08:04 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering what the general opinion is on this projector....I know it's a Chinon....but I'm thinking of buying it for a friend who's new in collecting..has not much money and needs something to use. I have a chance to buy a working one very cheaply. thanks for any tips or reviews

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 05, 2010 10:19 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never put anything in a Chinon.
Unless of course its leader and you like it to look like confetti.
[Smile]
I had 2 of these and I thought they had a lot of bells and whistles and such but I think for a novice your friend would be better off with a nice little Elmo or Eumig.
I could be biased though. Since I really didn't like any Chinon I tried.

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2010 10:34 AM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 2 Chinons, but not that model. Both of mine have chewed leaders on occasion, but have never damaged a film once they got going. That's why I put safety leaders on everything I buy.

Christopher Allison
Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2010 11:59 AM      Profile for Christopher Allison   Email Christopher Allison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Chinon and I'm not that happy with it.
Every time I use the projector, I feel like I'm playing roulette with one of my films.
Knock on wood it hasn't eaten any of my films but that thought is alway in the back of my mind.
I'm looking to pick-up a Elmo myself, any model with sound would be good [Big Grin]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 05, 2010 12:12 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
....I know it's a Chinon....
What's wrong with Chinon? Different with previous posters, I have a small Chinon 330. It is a beautiful and light projector I have ever used.

My Chinon does not chew the leader and even (I posted in other thread) my Chinon has more stable picture than my GS-800.

If your friend has an enough budget for Elmo, please go ahead with it. But for an absolute beginner, there is no a bad thing with Chinon.

For me, if my sons asked for movie times while I will be projecting just so-so films, I will grab my Chinon rather than the heavier GS.

My 2 cents though, [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2010 03:19 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some Chinons had a plastic film gate that warped. For some reason Super 8 film runs fine in them even with the warped gate, but they eat regular 8 film.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2010 04:42 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my CHINON 7500 new in 1979. It NEVER ate any leaders, or noticably scratched ANY of the thousands of feet of film that i've run through it. I still use it once in a while now. I took good care of it, and it still runs perfectly. Maybe I was extremely lucky.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2010 09:50 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Chinon 9500 has one of the best bulb cooling systems in the projector world. So basic and simple, incredible no one else used it ..large air vents surrounding the bulb on two sides. After running film for 25 min the plastic vents are only slightly warm to the touch. This projector projects a beautiful picture and in a living room (with a white ceiling) , brighter than the GS 1200 with the halogen bulb . How? Because the Elmo lights up the ceiling causing ambient light that falls on the screen dimming the picture. The only negative with the projector is that after 25 years , I now have to partially manually thread it, otherwise the leader will jam right before the sound head assembly.
I know Phil at Pro Super 8 in L.A. has a high opinion of Chinon projectors.

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2010 06:47 AM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Master Thomas - the sticking just before the sound head could be caused by a slightly slow response of the flywheel and pinch roller. I had this problem with a Fuji and John White (the Sage of Stanmore) said to let the motor run for about a minute before feeding - I did (do) and haven't had a problem since. Could be worth trying on your proj!!
Cheers, David E

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2010 06:52 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....don't let's forget it also has an optical sound unit-rare for 8mm! Plus, I always liked its design [Smile]

--------------------
Yannis

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2010 06:12 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,
Thanx for the tip...will try it.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2010 11:35 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought one of these in the mid 1980's, so it had had little use; it scratched film. I tried several times to find the culprit but the black lines kept appearing. I sold it at a loss!

David

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted March 12, 2010 12:06 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a little Chinon 330 8 years ago. I don't remember it scratching or eating film. There was a clicking sound with some of the film tracks. Most of the films sounded fine. I sold it and bought an Elmo ST-800. Now I mostly use ST-1200s and a GS-1200.

If you own one, keep your Chin up or on. [Big Grin]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC