8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Destroy All Monster S8 Sound/Color

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Destroy All Monster S8 Sound/Color
Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2010 02:43 PM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished watching my new (old) Ken Films "Destroy All Monsters" 200ft S8 Sound & Color.

I think I got real lucky with this print. The color is what stands out the most. Vivid blues and greens, probably my best film for non-faded/reddish colors. The sound is very good, not warbly (is warbly a word?)and loud.

It has a hair line on the far right during part of the film, but those never bother me.

I also recieved a 400ft sound/color digerst of "At The Earths Core" It has some color left, but nothing like DAM. The sound is quite good as well!

One more to go on my list!

Tim

|  IP: Logged

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2010 03:05 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You lucky man!
I've got the other Ken BW silents but am holding out until I can find this one with half decent color too!
Cheers
Terry

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2010 09:02 PM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You lucky man!

Indeed I am! [Smile]

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2010 01:08 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting...my print of Destroy All Monsters also has retained its color nicely. I bought it brand new when it was released on Super 8. Lot of years ago.

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2010 02:27 PM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I originally bought DAM from Ken (Super 8 B/W/Silent) years ago myself. It may be the last movie I ever bought from Ken.

Yeah, I love this print as well. It probably is my most brilliant color film.

When I collected movies as a kid, we showed everything on my dad's Bell & Howell Dual 8 (usually on a wall) I remember a friend of ours had a S8 SOUND projector AND a screen. His dad wouldn't let us go near it (don't blame him)we thought they we're soooo rich!

It's sure nice to be an adult and have a sound projector, a big screen, plus a modified cable to run the sound into a sound system and Destroy All Monters (Sound/Color)I could never have afforded any of this with my paper route! We must be soooo rich! [Roll Eyes]

I'm not letting the kids near the projector either!

Tim

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 04, 2010 12:34 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone post here the front cover of this title? I am so curios to have it.

BTW, Timothy and Gary can you two post some screen shots of this print? I want to know what is a good quality of Ken since I never had one (My Kens all have faded)

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 04, 2010 10:38 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Ken released DAM in B&W/silent, B&W/sound, and (obviously) color/sound.

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Douglas W. Warren
Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2010 10:34 PM      Profile for Douglas W. Warren   Email Douglas W. Warren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a copy of DAM that I got from Media Arts Associates when I got back into collecting in 1986.It was B&W /Silent and boy,that print was rough but Roger said so in his description.Since I only paid $3 for it I was happy regardless of the condition. Plus it came in the original box which oddly enough was in very good condition. I got to see DAM at the movies when it was first released and the digest was edited well if I recall correctly.

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2010 07:08 AM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DAM is one of my all time favorite "G" films!

We show classic 35mm horror/sci-fi films at The Silver Scream Spookshow in Atalnta every month. Last December we stumbled on one of the AIP prints! It was great Paul Frees and the whole gang doing the dubs!

I love my Ken Films digest. I got really lucky because this is a great print! Colors are bright and the soundtrack is booming.

I just got a new copy of Frankenstein Conquers The World but it hasn't arrived yet. My old one is a library print and pretty beat.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 25, 2010 08:10 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious: are those of you with the good prints saying it's good in comparison to most Ken titles displaying fade, or are you saying there's no sign of fade at all? I've just examined mine and it's very much warm, albeit not completely red. E.g. the leader is red and there's nothing close to black in the print.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 25, 2010 09:42 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, did you manage to buy those Ken's no-fade grade from the latest Derann list?.

If yes, how are they?

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 25, 2010 01:14 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert - I'm afraid not. I tried to ask about one but I was unable to get through early in the day, so I tied an email, but no reply so I'm sure it was sold.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 25, 2010 03:05 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Adrian, I am so curios too with Universal 8, "Thoroughly Modern Millie" which is graded no-fade by Derann, knowing all my Universal 8 are fade now.

From my last acquire of Kens, it seems that some titles were very lucky to be printed on no-fade stock (or no-fade yet). You can see on my screen shot attached on your latest thread.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 26, 2010 01:07 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert - your post made me wonder if I have any Universal 8 left that isn't faded. I checked a few and although a previously OK 'Creature Fom the Black Lagoon' had 'gone', my scope 'Jaws 2' has little or no fade and 'The Island' is holding up well too. So if anyone has non-faded U8 prints not in the fridge, enjoy them while you can!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 26, 2010 01:53 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about a new thread about Kens & U-8s that have held their color?
I have quite a few!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC