8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Any experiences with new Kodak Ektachrome 100D S8?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any experiences with new Kodak Ektachrome 100D S8?
Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2010 11:35 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
for my articles in schmalfilm magazine I would be interested to get some informations about your results with the new Kodak Ektachrome 100D in the Super 8 cartridge. I am always reading about people questioning if their camera will read the notch of the cartridge correctly. But where are all those Super 8 filmers that already took the chance to try this new film? What Super 8 camera model did you use, was the exposure fine? What about the colors and the grain? Any problems? Please let me know - in the thread or by private message.

|  IP: Logged

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2010 12:43 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried out a cartridge of the new Kodak 100D in many different cameras in my collection. Each and every camera exposed the film perfectly. Cameras I tried were B & H 1234 & 1239, Canon 1014, 814 & 318, Agfa Movexoom, Bauer. Each had the outdoor/indoor filter switch set to indoor, and my outdoor shots came out very well. Dwaynes processed the film, and I have to say grain could have been better, but the colours were very good indeed. I remember that when the 64T came out, grain on early carts was more vivid than on later ones, where it wasn't noticeable. Whether that is Kodak or Dwayne's adjustments is anyone's guess. All-round though, I was pleased, especially since all of our cameras will now expose it properly!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 13, 2010 01:16 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My personal favorite running-around kind of camera is the Minolta XL-401. It's small, yet has a lot of features. I keep two of them, one for B&W and one for color.

Being that it is 40/160 ASA only, I'm concerned about the underexposure that it should produce on 100D. I have larger, clunkier cameras that will do the job, but I'd hate to have to leave the Minoltas home

Simon, does your Canon 318 (or any others) fall in the 40/160 category?

Thanks!

(I miss the days when Kodachrome was 40 ASA and Plus-X was 50 and we didn't need to worry about this stuff!)

[ July 13, 2010, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2010 12:00 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of these cameras fall into the 40/160 bracket, but ALL exposed the film dead-on, just as Kodak said they would. This film won't pose us any exposure problems, just as my tests show!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 14, 2010 01:50 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good News, Simon!

Have you tried it with tungsten lighting yet? I understand the filter needed uses up a lot of light, but I don't care since most to all of my tungsten work is titling anyway: I can always add more light.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC