8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » DCR films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DCR films
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 03, 2010 01:58 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How was the general quality of DCR releases?

|  IP: Logged

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2010 03:42 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

DCR films were always very good considering the vintage age of the majority of their releases. I believe the proprietor Dave West was meticulous in selecting the best available origination materials that were available at the time. He also lubricated his release prints so they arrived in pristine condition.

I have some great prints from DCR including Oh! Mr Porter and Ask a Policeman both films of which I am very fond and regularly project.

Best.
Rick

Ps. I've extra DCR feature length prints of both of the above titles if anyone would like to purchase a copy.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 03, 2010 04:28 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ricky,

Have you ever seen the DCR release of SCROOGE with Alistair Sim? If so, how was it?

-Mike

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2010 08:13 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the DCR release of "Scrooge". It is on 5X400ft reels and is a nice black and white print with clear sound. I have never had a bad DCR print. CEC re released this title and I found an advert for it from 1992 but I do not know what it was like as I have never seen a copy.
 -

[ August 03, 2010, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Paul Spinks ]

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2010 03:41 AM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i must agree with paul with regards to dcr prints
i have the 1960 version of the 39 steps by dcr
great colour and sound print

--------------------
t.smith

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2010 04:28 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the 400fter of A NIGHT TO REMEMBER from DCR Films.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 05, 2010 07:05 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of DCR prints, mostly railroad releases. To me they seem a little more grainy than average.

By the same token they are some of the favorite titles on my collection. They seem to choose topics that really work for me.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2010 07:50 AM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I chatted to Dave from time to time and always found him to be a good egg! I still have some commercials he released - mainly 'cos I was in one of 'em.
Cheers, David E

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2010 09:44 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You must tell us, David, which one you were in!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 05, 2010 09:48 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few of their prints that are pretty good - I know their features had a very good reputation when they were in business.

As railway films were a speciality of theirs, it's worth remembering that some of these were enthusiast-type productions shot on 16mm, that wouldn't necessarily have offered outstanding master material.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC