8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Which Is A Good STD 8 Sound Projector? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Which Is A Good STD 8 Sound Projector?
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 04, 2010 12:07 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is what I would Like to find in a dual 8mm(super 8 and std 8mm) sound projector or standard 8mm sound -

100w or 150w lamp
800 foot or 1200 foot reel capacity

Is this puppy out there? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2010 07:25 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow..the reel capacity is going to be problem. As you know, the Eumig 810D's and 824's only take up to 600 feet. Maybe there's something out there...maybe a Fumeo or something. It'll be interesting to find out.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 04, 2010 09:02 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few years ago Jan Bister woulda' built you one!

It sounds like you've stumbled upon some R8 sound features, Dan.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2010 09:27 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the Eumig S810D and this performs well. In fact, I have this permanently set for Std 8. I have just taken in a Silma Standard 8 sound machine; not tried this out yet!

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 04, 2010 02:18 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

I only have one std 8 feature, "To Be Or Not To Be" with Jack Benny. I just want the option of a large reel capacity. With only a 600' capacity I would have to cut reel 2 and 4 of a feature in half and I don't want to that.

Simon, the Eumigs certainly are great machines, but the reel capacity is a a problem.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2010 03:10 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector I mentioned is a Silma 240S (aka Prinz Compere) and is probably one of the most "modern" Standard 8 sound only machines you'll find. Elmo-like auto-thread, 100w halogen lamp, decent sound and very steady picture. Gives a great performance.

Spencer Bradley
Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2010 07:24 AM      Profile for Spencer Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for the same projector you are Dan. If you have any luck finding it let me know.

What is the reel capacity of the Silma 240S?

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2010 10:00 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, are you just beginning to become curious about STD 8 Sound film or are you just looking for a replacement for something that broke? Phil Johnson is a great resource for this kind of stuff. Call him. He often has items for sale that he doesn't always list on his site. He's pricey, but all his stuff is fully refurbished by him, personally, and comes with a 30-day warranty against defects which is quite rare for today being that EVERYTHING is a refurb since there's no more NEW. He'll answer as many questions as you like. Very nice man.

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2010 07:53 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an unusual Standard 8mm Sound projector on ebay.
Check it out. Its a Silma Sonik 8.
Item number: 220680619550

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Spencer Bradley
Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2010 07:12 PM      Profile for Spencer Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be possible to modify an 810D and 824D to have an 800' capacity?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 13, 2010 07:28 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They say given enough money you could fix the Titanic...

I don't know the 824, but the 810D's reel arms are just long enough for a 600' reel. That's one obstacle to overcome. Former member Jan Bister was famous for splicing together reel arms to make extended reel machines (FrankenProjector!)

The second one is that disk transmission which especially with age starts to lose traction with big loads of film.

The ultimate answer is to build some sort of external reel handling system like Chip Gelmini did. In that case you could run any size reel you want and the projector wouldn't know the difference.

The Gelmini Tower!

--------------------

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2010 08:57 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A rare machine with a larger reel capacity is the Calvin Movie Sound 8 which takes a DDB bulb but it very very hard to find.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 13, 2010 10:18 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dan, are you just beginning to become curious about STD 8 Sound film or are you just looking for a replacement for something that broke? Phil Johnson is a great resource for this kind of stuff. Call him. He often has items for sale that he doesn't always list on his site. He's pricey, but all his stuff is fully refurbished by him, personally, and comes with a 30-day warranty against defects which is quite rare for today being that EVERYTHING is a refurb since there's no more NEW. He'll answer as many questions as you like. Very nice man.
Brad, I am fascinated with std 8 sound film. I guess it has something to do with having a std 8 silent projector in our family when I was a younger kid :-) I do have a vintage 1960 Fujica Sound Std 8 machine. Works great too, but only has 400' reel capacity. Looks like I will keep hunting for a Eumig 810D. I'll be happy with that. I do know Phil Johnson and have spoken to him on the phone. Heck of good guy with strict ethics. I have bought films from him also.

Steve, I too thought extending the take up arm would put stress on the film transport system, but maybe not.

Frank, that's a vintage machine in Australia, but looks like 400' capacity.

John B., I've heard of the Calvin, but never seen one yet.

Thanks everyone. [Smile]

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2010 10:52 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At some point it becomes: do you want really long reels or not? There is not much in between once you get past 1200/1600 feet.

If you can find one, the Eiki Long-Play unit, made for 16mm, will happily take either Standard-8 or Super-8 films.

It is a carefully made machine that will accept everything from very small 8mm reels up to 6000-ft 8/16mm films.
The motor and the electronics, although primarily designed for 16mm, happily throttle down to handle the much smaller weight of the 8mm reels without ripping anything to pieces.

What you need are the brass 8mm reel adapters for the reels, a roller for the front arm of your projector and some monster reels to hold complete features. The last may in fact become the greatest expense apart from the print.

At 6000-ft capacity, you could do "Ben Hur" or "The 10 Commandments" in Super-8, with opening newsreels, cartoons, and antr'acte music without ever stopping the projector :-)...at least as I remember the run time in '8' along with the adjusted capacity from 16 to 8mm.

This is it:

-

I pay this device my ultimate compliment: I will sit down and watch a film, and only rarely turn around to make sure it is running right. It's that good and gentle.

Claus

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 13, 2010 11:01 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus,
I have never seen or heard of one of these. I'll bet finding one is a real feat. Very nice. Thanks for the info. This would solve several long play problems too.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2010 11:13 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,

It doesn't come around that often, but, as with so many things, EBay provided [Smile]

As I understand it, the motor and electronics come from the 9100-series pedestal Eiki Xenons (please correct me if I got the number wrong.)

It marries a good strong motor to some amazingly well-tuned electronics, to the point that my "worst case testing scenario", a 100-ft super-8 plastic-reel (weighing nothing) still played fine, albeit with just a bit more 'tug' than intended.
This from a unit designed to run and rewind 16mm features weighing many many pounds...whoever designed this loved film.

It runs forward only, with both reels side-by-side. You flip the reel to the opposite spindle to rewind after a screening.

If you find one, get it. It is a neat, space-saving invention that allows the ultimate luxury: a full feature without change-over, where you too can sit down and enjoy.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2010 12:51 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could also try finding an Extend A Reel.They were made in the 60s-70s. A;so Dan,the Eumig 824D machine is pretty good to.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2010 06:01 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As someone already mentioned, you have to watch those rubber disk drives on the Eumig 800 series projectors. I still have an 810D that I got new over 35 years ago, but I can only use it as a silent projector now. Sandpapering and cleaning the rubber gets me good sound for a reel or 2, then the speed starts to fluctuate again.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 14, 2010 06:08 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shame they have this weakness, otherwise they are such good machines.

Then again, who expected them to still work at all 30 years after they were made?

--------------------

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2010 05:16 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But it is a major weakness. What's really surprising is that the sound head is still in great shape. And my machine was used heavily in the '70's. (Pre-VCR days.)

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 15, 2010 05:31 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The soundhead on mine is fine too.

Every so often it is slow getting up up to speed, but that is rare and has happened here and there for years. (Gives me a fright when it happens...)

As I've said before, it doesn't have the features of the Elmos, but what it does it does well and reliably too.

My point is I can't be too critical of the design because many of the ones that are failing now have outlived at least one owner.

If they ran two years and ground to a halt, that's different.

--------------------

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2010 07:26 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if you can have new rubber discs made? There's a guy in Seattle that repairs turn tables. When he repaired one of my 1960's era turn tables he got a new rubber wheel for it. He said he has a guy that makes them for him.

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2010 11:35 AM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil Johnson was selling new rubber disks for awhile -- you may want to contact him to see if he has any more -- though I don't see him listing it on his site anymore.

I think he was selling them for around $200 -- which is high, I think.

Brian Collins
Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2010 05:42 AM      Profile for Brian Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must endorse what Simon said, I have just rebuilt a Silma 240s that I have used for years, I have 2 others that I use for spares. It has an 800ft reel capacity, runs very quiet and smooth, this one has a rear pressure plate on the gate which is usefull for damaged films and exellent speed control.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 17, 2010 04:50 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Steve, I too thought extending the take up arm would put stress on the film transport system, but maybe not.
It would have to put more stress on the transport system, the question is how much can it stand without failing, especially 30+ years after it left the factory.

People that design stuff for other people to use should always put in a margin of error in capability, it helps us sleep better at night knowing that something we thought of didn't kill someone today (...as long as they used it right. You can foolproof but not idiot proof.)

When you hang an 800 foot reel on a 600 foot transport mechanism, at least some of that margin (maybe all of it) is going away.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC