8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Old prints (e.g. Ken Films, Marketing, U-8, UFA, etc) that have held color (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Old prints (e.g. Ken Films, Marketing, U-8, UFA, etc) that have held color
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 17, 2012 12:55 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, either that, or they chose the cheaper method and just released them on black and white. Reel Images was a neat company that released some very RARE titles ...

One of which is "Marx Brothers promo reel". This was a full five minute sequence that was never seen in thier hilarious film, "Monkey Business", although they do a different version of it in the film, (this is the scene where they all do Maurice Chevalia impersonations while on the boat!) ...

This reel has all four going to an gaent's office trying to be signed up by him, and proceed to tear apart his whole office. This version of it was actually part of thier stage play from the 1920's, "I'll Say She Is" (maybe Shorty or someone else can correct me on that if I'm wrong) ....

... and, it is an incredibly rare chance to see the Marx Brothers performing some of thier stage work!

I have this, but please note ...

The focus is incredibly soft. Sound is fine. Still, an incredible collectors choice for a Marx Brothers fan, and all due to "Reel Image"!

Sorry to get off track here, folks

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2012 12:43 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Superman" cartoons in Super 8 Sound in B/W? I have one that is great "Japoteurs" it's called. When I was a child I only saw the cartoons in B/W and never in color on my family fish bowl screen TV. It is very hard to find the non color Superman super 8mm. Anyway thanks for talking about them. I do have some great Red Fox films still holding great color.  -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2012 12:25 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-

[ March 15, 2014, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Bill Phelps ]

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2012 12:45 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-

[ March 15, 2014, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Bill Phelps ]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 02, 2012 03:38 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Northwest Passage
Length: 400"
Released by: MGM Films
Stock: AGFA
Lab: MGM Lab
Date of Print: this the last MGM released so maybe 1982

-

-

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 03, 2012 12:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice looking print there, Winbert!

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 02, 2012 06:40 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slap Shot
Length: 400' version
Released by: Universal 8
Stock: Eastman
Lab: Technicolor

-

-

-

The Electric Horseman
Length: 2 x 400'
Released by: Universal 8
Stock: Eastman
Lab: Technicolor

-

-

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 03, 2012 01:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy! Both of those prints have faired very well Doug, which isn't always the case with Universal 8 especially, (unless your lucky enough to run into an unfaded batch of the good Kodak SP, like on my "Battlestar Galactica")

Greats screenshots from that "Northwest Passage" as well. One of the great qualities of Agfa, is that it can at times, add a slightly stronger green spectrum to a print, which in most cases, enhances the color and seems to bring it closer to a technicolor feel. I have the part 2 of the German Marketing Digest of STAR WARS, on Agfa, and the color is incredibly saturated and I must honestly say, the facial tones are actually better than what I have on my STAR WARS feature from Derann. It really is lovely to look at.

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2012 06:12 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those look great Doug, especially considering the source (Universal 8).

I heard once that in addition to film stock, chemicals had alot to do with how colors hold up over time. I have a few U8's that arent too bad, like Silent Running (I'll try to get some screen shots up later).

James.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 28, 2012 06:32 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Released by: Columbia Films
Lab:
Date of Print:

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Winbert

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2012 07:44 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yea- Nice one Winbert!

Was it a clam-shell or cardboard box?

James.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 29, 2012 02:36 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James,, It is in a plain box. I got this from our Greg Marshall. But either carboard or clamshell, it will not tell you the color condition as I have this title on both type of pacging and they have faded as usual.

--------------------
Winbert

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2012 01:57 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have several prints on Eastman that have actually kept it's colour quite well, and especially my WDHM 200' of "Mickeys Trailer", which is as good as new!

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 29, 2012 01:59 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gentleman Prefer Blondes
Released by: Columbia Films
Lab:
Date of Print:

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 29, 2012 02:20 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks to be a nice print of "Gentlemen" Winbert,the blacks
and flesh tones look very good,mind you the two girls look good
whatever.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 29, 2012 02:32 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Hugh.

I got this one too from Greg.

--------------------
Winbert

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2013 08:26 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
thanks to Doug Meltzer, our Mr. Moderator Extraordinaire, I am glad to put up these scenes from a digest of Carquake I used to own. Doug wanted to know what all scenes made it into this digest, so I will let the beautiful screen shots tell their story even better, as after all, a picture is worth a thousand words [Smile] !!!

Cheers,
ET

-

-

-

-

-

-

P.S: More super 8 print reviews coming soon [Smile] ))!!!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 21, 2013 08:27 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elyas,

Thank you for the pictures. What a great looking print. Outstanding!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2013 10:11 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had my print of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes from new. That blue background behind Marilyn and Jane was once vibrant and bright, alas mine looks a little grey looking now too.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2013 12:27 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Print looks good for its over 30 age FORBIDDEN PLANET Super 8mm Feature 4X600  -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 21, 2013 12:49 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alot of sights look good from FORBIDDEN PLANET - Shorty

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 21, 2013 01:08 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lakshmi, with respect to your FORBIDDEN PLANET, it is not in the criteria of this thread because it was printed after the 8mm heyday (pre 1980)

--------------------
Winbert

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2013 03:26 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless I am mistaken when Forbidden Planet was released on Super 8 the prints were struck on Low-Fade Stock so they should have good color...
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 21, 2013 03:38 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right Joe, this thread was created to see that those non low fade prints can sometime have good color too.

The aim of this thread is not to look down the old prints.

--------------------
Winbert

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2013 04:16 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that definitely helps the old prints hold their Color is the Lab that was used to make them. Careful processing and proper storage can sometimes make for a pleasant surprise upon projection.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC