8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Where to get GEPE reels in bulk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where to get GEPE reels in bulk?
Spencer Bradley
Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2010 07:28 PM      Profile for Spencer Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know a good place to get GEPE reels in bulk (around 100) for a good price?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 07, 2010 07:47 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For that many you should probably go directly to the distributor and get a wholesale price:

HP Marketing, Gepe Distributor USA

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2010 05:04 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am intrigued Spencer; may I ask what for? A large collection? Archive use? New films???

I completely understand if you say it is none of my business!

Spencer Bradley
Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2010 06:58 AM      Profile for Spencer Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about putting all of my films in them. Depends on if I can get a good price though.

Thanks for the link Steve. I sent them an email.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 08, 2010 07:33 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome, Spencer.

Wise Choice: If I could, all my films would be on Gepes.

--------------------

Spencer Bradley
Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2010 08:40 AM      Profile for Spencer Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The person from HP Marketing just sent me a link to the dealer locater. Does anyone know anywhere I can get them online in bulk?

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2010 08:53 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I can offer is the Gepe Web store.

This is a modified cut-and-paste from their site:

" Article/ Name/ Price (EUR)/Quantity Avail.

60 m - 200 ft Reel and Chest, 1pcs/box 6,75 : 50

120 m - 400 ft Reel and Chest, 1pcs/box 8,45 : 46

180 m - 600 ft Reel and Chest, 1pcs/box 15,95 : 44

240 m - 800 ft Reel and Chest, 1pcs/box 27,45 : 26

90 m - 300 ft Reel and Chest, 1pcs/box 7,45 : 22"

Cheap they aren't; perhaps they offer a discount on a case.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Paolo Consoli
Junior

- posted October 08, 2010 09:16 AM      Profile for Paolo Consoli   Author's Homepage   Email Paolo Consoli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
if anyone is interested I've put up to 10 Gepe reels (800ft) on ebay on previous days: they are new, sealed from factory and cheaper than Gepe web site price (but I am not a wholesale).
This is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150502697526&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
The reels are in Italy, I can estimate shipping upon request. Also if anyone interested I can send a photo of the real reels I'm selling.
Ciao Paolo

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 08, 2010 10:35 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
B&H is an online Gepe retailer:

Gepe at B&H

Maybe if you send them a list of everything you want they'll be willing to offer you a discounted price.

I guess "Super-8 reels" and "buy in bulk" don't go together in a sentence very often these days. Usually that means somebody is selling newly made films and they need a lot of reels for their merchandise. That's not very common these last few years...

--------------------

Spencer Bradley
Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2010 12:56 PM      Profile for Spencer Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help.

In my looking around for reels I talked to a guy that had a 600' reel that will hold 800' of film. He said he bought some from a company that went out of business in the 80's. Has anyone heard of a reel like that before? How well do they work?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 08, 2010 01:33 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My ST-1200 has an 800' takeup reel that is smaller in diameter than the Gepe 800 footer, I'll have to take a look at it later on tonight.

The difference is the Gepe has a bigger center, maybe 3 inches across compared to this one which is maybe 2 inches. The price you pay for that is at the end of rewinding a full reel the takeup reel is spinning that much faster and on some projectors the extra film tension is enough to make the clutch on the supply spindle slip and rewinding stop before it's done.

My ST-1200 has never had this problem, but my ST-800 has. That's why its takeup is a Gepe 800 footer.

--------------------

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2010 07:53 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just did a comparison on the cost of the Gepe 800ft reel and case.

In Australian dollars one would be $25.32 from B & H in the US

The cost would be $38.83 for one from Gepe converting from Euro!

I would certainly email all the distributors Spencer and ask for their best bulk rate plus shipping, there are likely to be large variations.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC