8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo super 8mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo super 8mm
Anna McFadden
Junior

- posted October 09, 2010 06:18 PM      Profile for Anna McFadden   Email Anna McFadden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of these and love it, I remember seeing an instruction manual online for it but can't seem to locate it again, anyone have any suggestions? I just want to get more familiar with this amazing pictoral vehicle!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 09, 2010 08:36 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Anna,

If you go to the manuals section:

Manuals

-and scroll down to "8mm Projectors" (wayyyyy down), there is a manual for a Sankyo 800 at the bottom.

Even if this is not the exact model you have, it may be close enough to be useful.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2010 09:21 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What model is it that you have?

Anna McFadden
Junior

- posted November 03, 2010 12:47 PM      Profile for Anna McFadden   Email Anna McFadden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a sankyo SL40-SOUND. I just got some film back and it mostly turned out white except for the last bit of it which I am pretty sure was shot at night, so I am wondering if there is a setting on it that I need to adjust for the light. any ideas?

Anna McFadden
Junior

- posted November 03, 2010 03:46 PM      Profile for Anna McFadden   Email Anna McFadden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
also its not a projector its a camera, sorry I wasn't more specific [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 03, 2010 06:25 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like your exposure control is not working. Can you tell if there is supposed to be a seperate battery for this? Very often they were funky little mercury cells. You can't get them anymore, but it's often possible to substitute for them.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Anna McFadden
Junior

- posted December 31, 2010 10:48 AM      Profile for Anna McFadden   Email Anna McFadden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure where that would be on the camera. I will look for it, I also cannot find an F stop on it, there is however a small plastic flap on top that says "filter" and I wonder if sliding a filter in there would help at all? It's definitely a quest so any feed back would be much appreciated!

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2010 12:47 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don’t think switching the filter position would do the trick Anna, I believe the filter is there to shoot night scenes with daylight film and vice versa.

Jon

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 31, 2010 01:10 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anna,

The filter control on the 40S moves the color compensation filter in and out. Keep it in the down position (filter in) for shooting in daylight. Lift it up (filter out) when shooting indoors under tungsten light or for nighttime exteriors.

The 6 AA batteries power the camera and the built in exposure meter. Slide the power switch to the on position. Set the aperture control (located above the logo on the right side of the camera, if you're holding it as if you were shooting) to "auto". Look through the viewfinder and you'll see the F stops at the bottom. If the needle moves when you point it at different light sources, the meter is working. The meter might have been set to "manual" when you shot previously, which would explain the extreme overexposure problem.

The 40S was built to use either Kodachrome 40 or Ektachrome 160 movie film. These are no longer available. Ektachrome 64T or 100D can be used but the automatic exposure will be incorrect, however it's worth a try. When shooting with 100D, leave the filter in the up position. That film is meant for daylight, so you'd need to screw on an 80A filter (blue) to shoot indoors (but you'd need brightly lit interiors).

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Anna McFadden
Junior

- posted January 31, 2011 04:09 PM      Profile for Anna McFadden   Email Anna McFadden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome thank you so much Doug! I will give this a shot and let you know. If nothing works, do you have suggestions of Super 8mm's that I could start looking into to purchase that are not as out of date as far as film goes? I am an artist with a degree in painting, drawing and sculpture, so I have a grip on my reflections and narratives, just need help with this new technical feat I am attempting to attain. Again I really appreciate it!

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2011 04:31 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For super 8 I've been using a Bolex 160 and a Bolex 155. They are older cameras but can be very reliable. They work great with Ektachrome 64T and 100D. You will need to get the 2 batteries for the exposure meter, the link below is where I got them.

B&H Photo

These cameras come up on ebay all the time, just make sure you ask the following questions:

Does the motor run?
Is there corrosion in the battery compartment?
Is the lens clear of fungus, fog, scratches, etc?

As with all old super 8 cameras you are taking a chance with the exposure meter but I have had great luck with these Bolex models.

Anna McFadden
Junior

- posted April 18, 2011 08:36 PM      Profile for Anna McFadden   Email Anna McFadden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan, I took your advice and just got mine in the mail, off of ebay as you had suggested, it is beautiful!! I am just waiting on the exposure batteries to come to make sure it works ok, but it looks in mint condition so I am having high hopes. Do you have any recommendations for sites that repair and assist with general questions? I am so excited to use it thanks for the suggestion!!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC