8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Do you have films in your collection that you haven't screened?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you have films in your collection that you haven't screened?
Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 24, 2010 08:57 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I don't have a permanent screening setup, I can't just thread up a film as soon as it arrives. Something always seems to happen when I try to make time for 8mm. I must have close to thirty films waiting patiently to be watched!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 24, 2010 09:26 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago I used to handle Tim Christian's North American film purchases. The parcels would come to my house, I'd screen them, I'd let him know if they were good or not and then send the good ones across to the UK.

It was like being able to rent films! Plus he did the same for me when I bought something(non Derann) in the UK.

One of the lots he bought had the Castle(?) R8 reel "First American in Space". He said I should keep it.

-It's probably been on the shelf 6 years now and I heven't even opened the box!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 24, 2010 11:07 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug

I don't have a permanent screening room either. I probably have more that 50 films I haven't watched yet. I check the leader for a title and inspect the film and put it on the shelf. I also look at the artwork. It's all about the artwork. Right Joe?

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2010 12:53 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely yes.
I have more films than spare time, to be honest. Lots of them are still to be screened at least once to be checked.
Blackhawks, above all.
But some features too [Roll Eyes] . Sooner or later...

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2010 12:56 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Doug.... you know, until just day before yesterday, I had not even screened the trailers and shorts(including the Monty Python digest) that I got when we were at the Cinesea event. I still haven't screened the Rin Tin Tin feature I got there. I have probably 30 misc. shorts and cartoons that I've not watched...and probably 20 16mm features that I've only checked the first few feet of each reel....so far. And I HAVE a permanent setup......time is the enemy here. I could never be convicted of the crime of watching too many films. I may have the motive...but little opportunity. But in a way ...after I've checked the films over, and pretty well satisfied myself that they are OK, it's kind of nice to have a little library of things unseen....so when there IS time, I can screen something new. Dangerous, yes...but I usually only buy from people and dealers I know...and also...in the case of a large expense...such as recent purchases of an IB tec of From Russia with Love, and a nice low fade scope of View to a Kill...(500 dollars plus) I watch these immediately......even if it's in six or seven minute increments over a week or ten days time.
I've heard of collectors who buy hundreds of films a year and NEVER watch them..... These are pure "collectors" , I suppose...who live to acquire, rather than enjoy. Have a nice Thanksgiving, everyone...and why not sit down tomorrow night and put on the worst movie you have....a REAL turkey..and enjoy.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2010 05:06 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I might wait 1 or 2 days but I screen everything I get. I was fortunate to do just that. A print of IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA had worse than expected modeling through the entire film. Even though they mentioned it in the auction as not too bothersome it bothered me. This is one good reason to screen the films as soon as possible. Don't expect to return something after a long period of time has past.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2010 05:53 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug... same here. I try to at least inspect them, clean/lube them, etc., but actually loading them up sometimes has to wait.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2010 06:08 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug...If it is an eBay purchase I normally watch it as soon as it arrives.

But a lot of my purchases are through trusted friends though and I always keep some back from screening so when I'm not buying I always have something "new" to screen. I do have a permanent set up so it makes it nice but like the rest of you I also have to carve out time to spend in my cinema.

And I'm not even married either!

There's alot in my collection that I often repeat so that helps keep some unwatched stuff around.

Bill [Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 24, 2010 07:04 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pushed my self to screen all films that I have.

The way to do that is by putting some notes about the condition of films after screening it and put them in different place.

By doing this I knew where the boxes that I haven't watched and push my self to watch them before repeating other reels that I have watched.

I am trying not to be a film keeper, but to watch those reels till drop!

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2010 11:19 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
O'h my, yes. I have a print of "March Of The Wooden Soldiers" that I've only watched the first reel of. I think it's from Heritage Films. The print from what I remember was okay - a bit on the dark side and the sound is "bass-ey", but watchable. I have several 16mm U-8 digests I haven't looked at yet and some Americom silent prints with the records, but I need to replace the cartridge on my Sony turntable. Time to do all this is the issue. I work 5 days a week and on my days off I have the "Honey Do" lists to knock off or we take the kids out for "Family Fun Day/Night".

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2010 09:11 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see I'm not alone. Now that daylight savings time is over and it gets dark earlier; I have more time to catch up on my never before viewed films.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2010 12:32 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we're all guilty of this at some point,The bigger the collection normally means the chances are that films are just bought and placed on a shelf just to own that particular title,As i've downsized and sold i've found that it's the first time i've viewed a film just to grade it for sale,I now watch everything i buy and try not to let them collect dust!Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2010 12:45 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll raise my hand as guilty of not screening all the films I have. I am working on it as time allows [Razz] (I do have a dedicated screening room)

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 25, 2010 01:08 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also guilty. I have a few prints which I haven't watched.

It happens mainly because, like others have said, Ido not have a screening room.

In fact, I can honestly say that if I didn't have to go setting everything up each time, I would probably screen something every night.

You who have permanent set-ups are very fortunate.

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2010 11:11 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be moving soon and will have a screening room and will finally watch all the ones I haven't yet.In top of time constraints,I often find myself screening something I have watched many times as opposed to sonething I haven't at all! So much for the human brain being the perfect instrument.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2010 11:48 AM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the need to watch a film soon after I receive it just to check on the quality. If there is an issue then I can resolve it with the seller in time. If I'm happy with it (90% of the time) then I can go ahead and leave honest feedback. I do have my projector set up at all times so there's no hassle.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 27, 2010 08:14 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Films are purchased to be enjoyed, so you have to screen it. Can you believe if you have a $250 feature film that you only screen twice, meaning it cost you $125/screen?

The things that always prevent us from home screening (for those who don't have permanent setup) are:

1. Projector is heavy
2. Collapsible screen is so much hassle
3. Mix between have been screened reels and have not (end up with watching the most favorite reels, so again and again)
4. Time

To avoid this, I suggest you to have a light cheap machine such as GAF and Chinon.

Secondly, have at least one of your wall white painted.

Thirdly, put a note (and much better if you can separate) between the reels you have screened and have not.

Lastly, spare extra time in the evening (before sleep) to screen at least one reel.

Happy screening!

--------------------
Winbert

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2010 08:17 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost embarrassed to say I have a few films that I have never run, some I bought back to the 1980's.

I do screen a lot of film and I do have a permanent projection room set up, but I still see things that I have not run. Mostly the kids ask for their cartoons instead of Daddy's old films.

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2010 09:51 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert - I use a white wall for my permanent setup!

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2010 05:18 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to read this topic, I thought only I´m crazy enough to buy many films and watch them many years later.
It´s crazy, I have few, realy good and rare titels in my collection I never watched them yet. For example, I screened yesterday first time a 35mm IB Tech print of This Island Earth, I bought this about 3,4 or 5 years ago (I can´t remember) and this is one of my favorite movies.
On the other hand, I bought few days ago the super8 marketing 3x400 version of Star Trek the motion picture, I received it on friday, I watched it yesterday and I listed it now on ebay for sale. (see the link, they are also few screenshots from this print) http://cgi.ebay.de/Star-Trek-Enterprise-seltener-marketing-3-T eiler-/220702791165?pt=DE_DVDs&hash=item3362e955fd

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 30, 2010 11:12 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as Oemer said, I'm thrilled to see that I'm not the only slacker in the bunch. Just starting this topic has motivated me to watch more films, as you can tell from the What Films did you show last night? thread.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2010 11:57 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh.......errrm.....yes....errm.....indeed.....me too [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2010 01:04 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I confess I have many that I have not screened, but they are usually the bigger 16mm prints since that is more of a production since I have them in cold storage at vaults at my now old archive, so I have to page them and then go pick them up to watch...the little ones I have at home and while I do have some I have yet to screen it is usually only because they are recently acquired...I really try to not let the fact of having a non-dedicated screening set up deter me....I now have a 6 foot screen in the living room for the 16mm and weekend small gauge...I also have a 3 foot glass beaded screen for quick short throw films that I try to at least watch one or 2 shorts every night, and I have watched many lying on the bed and projecting them on the back of the white door, sometimes even when my wife is in the room and has the light on her side of the bed turned on... Basically I try to watch them like most people watch TV only I watch silent films usually so they demand my attention...The real fun is when I can do screenings either at home or in public with a group of folks like last week I showed a full 16mm program at the Echo Park Film Center with the feature SHOOTING STARS (1928)and shorts Torment (1946), Starring Norma Talmadge (1978) and one called Projecting Motion Pictures from the 1950's...That is where the people with dedicated screening rooms seem to have the upper hand is you have a ready made place to invite folks over for a show..Someday [Smile]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2010 05:17 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....same with me: haven't screened features like 'Distant Drums', 'Foreign Correspondent' and 'Hell's Angels'.....shame on me [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] ........

--------------------
Yannis

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC