8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Wolf Man Super 8 feature

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Wolf Man Super 8 feature
Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 08, 2011 01:55 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few full length Universal Horrors on Super 8mm (Dracula, Bride of Frankenstein, Ghost of Frankenstein) and I recently picked up The Wolf Man. I have no info as to who released this. It's printed on color stock and I've never seen this before: The left half of the frame has a sepia tone to the image while the right side leans toward cyan!

-

-

-

-

Has anyone ever come across anything similar?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2011 02:11 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless it's an overseas print,my guess is that it is a bootleg US print.I would think it was made early 80s,at that point B&W stock was very expensive and almost everyone was pting on color stock only.If it is a boot,be careful of the stripe.There was one person back then who did his own striping and it tended to come off easily.Then again,as someone in the business told me,Everyone made prints that weren't in their catalogs.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 05, 2012 12:25 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Doug

That's because it's a cyance fiction movie!

PatD [Razz]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 05, 2012 01:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Pat! That's just awful, bloody awful! Good job!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2012 02:06 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Douglas-

I actually have a print exactly like what you described. My print is "Black and Tan" (Duke Ellington). One side of the picture is slightly sepia, and the other is pure black and white.

I bought it used from a guy here in Washington DC, who purchased the majority of his films from Morecraft Films on the west coast.

I believe the old super 8 distributor Steve Vilarrino had "The Wolfman" on his list of bootleg super 8 movies back in the 80's, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were printed at the same lab, since Morecraft and SV were in the same area.

James.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2013 10:37 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I would revive this thread as it may relate to the print that Osi has up in the sales section. I'm curious about it, as is Alan Rik, because I also have a print (HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN) from Fred with this sepia/cyan look....

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2013 11:30 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Derann print of Ben Hur that half the picture was yellowish and the other half normal. I now have a beautiful Kempski print that doesn't have that problem. Is it the same negative? Morcraft did a lot of boot stuff. He told me one time he did a negative on Exorcist but the neg was no good. I don't know if he made any prints.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 05, 2013 12:27 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that's why Fred never replied when I asked him
about the quality of the print. Is it detracting when viewing?
$300 Is a lot for a flawed print IMHO.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 05, 2013 06:29 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still looking for a good print of Dracula but its one of those worth waiting for a nice print.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 05, 2013 09:14 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone told me they had a print of "Dracula", the Lugosi feature
version Lee, but it was a very dark print.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 05, 2013 12:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for bringing this opic back up, as it's nice to see this with screenshots up but please note, the film is sharper than the screenshots show, and the image doesn't have varying color, (sepia on one side, something else on the other).

We'll watch it here, probably tonight but no later than tomorrow and get back to everyone on it.

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2013 06:12 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello hugh , i saw that print you mentioned of dracula, but i thought he was " THE PRINT'S OF DARKNESS " . Sorry folks pat started the silliness . Nice one pat.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 07, 2013 06:30 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well "someday your prints will come" Paul.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC