8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » where to get D8mm film claw or teeth wheel.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: where to get D8mm film claw or teeth wheel.
Nathan DeHahn
Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2011 07:09 PM      Profile for Nathan DeHahn   Email Nathan DeHahn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to find and figure out how to build my own film perforating from 16mm to Double 8mm film. I have tried to searched for sprocket teeth or claw to punch though the emulsion. No luck to find them. I like to know how to do it. [Smile]

--------------------
Kodachrome Kid

|  IP: Logged

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2011 05:31 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you need is a punch and die. Creating your own machine to perforate film precisely and reliably will be challenging and likely quite costly. The punch/die is only the portion that makes the holes, you still need a method to feed/spool the film in addition to a precise means of advancing the film automatically. There may be existing machinery, however as you are starting with 16mm film it may not be what you require.

Im not sure why you would choose to perforate 16mm to Super8 instead of using Super8 film - also the image area would be too wide for any standard Super8 projector.

Nathan DeHahn
Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2011 06:52 AM      Profile for Nathan DeHahn   Email Nathan DeHahn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will be cheaper or something to try out with different stocks that super 8 and regular 8mm never had before like having 35mm Ektachrome 100 VS into super 8 film or Velvia instead spending on like 30 bucks per rolls. [Smile]

--------------------
Kodachrome Kid

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC