8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How to make a DIY telecine on Chinon 2000GL?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to make a DIY telecine on Chinon 2000GL?
Nathan DeHahn
Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2011 05:25 PM      Profile for Nathan DeHahn   Email Nathan DeHahn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried so much times on the projector to transfer my 8mm film. It did not work like it is too bright to record the film by using consender lens and the mirror reflect to my Sony camera. I really like to transfer my collection of 8mm films. I added frosted plastic (which it is a ektagraphic slide) over the lamp and it is still hard to transfer. Can you help me how to do it? please. Thank you [Smile]

--------------------
Kodachrome Kid

|  IP: Logged

Kirkamus Anderson
Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2011 05:37 PM      Profile for Kirkamus Anderson   Email Kirkamus Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what kind of camera are you using to capture?
You'll probably need to set it in manual mode and lock the aperture. That would probably help!

EDIT- Are you shooting off the wall? or trying to shoot lens to lens?

Nathan DeHahn
Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2011 07:21 PM      Profile for Nathan DeHahn   Email Nathan DeHahn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used samsung mx20 camera and lens to lens transfer.

--------------------
Kodachrome Kid

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 30, 2011 07:26 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you can capture any picture lens to lens with that projector, understanding the projector is using 100w halogen bulb, which is obviously too bright.

I am now afraid that the projector halogen MIGHT damage your Samsung [Eek!] . A digital camera has a sensor that cannot handle too much bright.

The easy way is to take a white paper and make a small screen where all details still can be seen, and you take picture from the front.

If you are trying to make a perfect square (because taking from the front will obviously will not make a perfect square) then you can place the camera behind the sreen.

Later you can reverse the picture using any software. But if it is a non-professional software expect pixelation due to digital effect.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Kirkamus Anderson
Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2011 07:33 PM      Profile for Kirkamus Anderson   Email Kirkamus Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yea man! Lens to lens won't work at all.

Project the image onto a nice wall or screen, make it 10 inches or less and shoot it off.

Nathan DeHahn
Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2011 08:47 PM      Profile for Nathan DeHahn   Email Nathan DeHahn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys! I think i need a type of paper, a regular paper has texture on the paper when a light behind. I have seen plenty of 8mm transfers on youtube makes me jealous [Eek!] .

--------------------
Kodachrome Kid

Kirkamus Anderson
Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2011 10:45 PM      Profile for Kirkamus Anderson   Email Kirkamus Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
do you have any links to these camera to lens youtube video?
I'd be curious.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2011 03:11 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan, if you have the condensor lens to make an aerial image transfer then you are on the right path. Where you are going wrong is with the lamp in the projector. Install a 10w lamp and block the light output right down so it is hardly visible. You'll then be on the right path but getting everything aligned is critical and takes many hours of trial and error. There is a heck of a lot to it.

As others have suggested, filming it off the wall is easy but of course the clarity of the image is poor and the colour is way off compared to the aerial image photograpic process. But it is a method of getting some basic imagery into digital form. Personally I find it looks too awful to bother with but others find it acceptable so it may be okay for you.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Nathan DeHahn
Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2011 06:33 AM      Profile for Nathan DeHahn   Email Nathan DeHahn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Video made me jealous and it did not use the same camera. Heres the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw2wt7_c_Cw&feature=channel_video_title

I think it would be hard to do on the lamp to mod a dimmer with it? or not.

[ March 31, 2011, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Nathan DeHahn ]

--------------------
Kodachrome Kid

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 31, 2011 08:58 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Nathan. If you are doing a very basic transfer off screen with a simple camcorder use a light grey A4 sheet of card to project onto as it will help take the hot spot out of the projected image.
Best wishes.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 31, 2011 09:06 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan your link does not work.

The best film transfer of course using scanner (where film frame is scanned one by one). It takes hours to finish only 50 feet. And I don't know if there has been domestic scanner in the market that capable to get image from 8mm width in HD quality.

But here is the easy instruction how to get 8mm transferred to DVD using wall screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHbZEoiISQQ

(beware that there will be color change so you need to correct it with computer software)

--------------------
Winbert

Nathan DeHahn
Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2011 05:19 PM      Profile for Nathan DeHahn   Email Nathan DeHahn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure what kind of light source behind the film to see. I tried the flashlight, with the paper front of it. It is still dark. (on the flat bed scanner) [Confused]

P.S. I fixed the link. [Wink]

--------------------
Kodachrome Kid

Kirkamus Anderson
Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2011 05:31 PM      Profile for Kirkamus Anderson   Email Kirkamus Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just re-read the comments a few times and pieced some broken links together....
He's using this http://moviestuff.tv/cinemate_hd.html
plus an HV20.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 31, 2011 05:36 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far the highest scanner for domestic use that I knew can capture this only:

-

-

-

-

All pictures are taken originally from super 8mm sources.
cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Nathan DeHahn
Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2011 06:31 AM      Profile for Nathan DeHahn   Email Nathan DeHahn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know they are using HV20 camera, I am jealous of the quality of the transfer.

Very Nice Scans of super 8 I like it! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Kodachrome Kid

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2011 02:05 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The video Winbert referenced is a little simplistic. You will have issues with flicker depending on how sophisticated your camera is. Also, set focus to manual and focus manually. There are many, many write-ups on how to tranfer. Google film to video transfer or 8mm to video transfer, and start reading. Good luck.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC