8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Can't sell collection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can't sell collection
Gregory S. Coad
Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2011 07:40 AM      Profile for Gregory S. Coad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My apology to all members. Going through all the posts on this forum every day and seeing how much enjoyment everyone gets in this hobby has made me realize that emotionally I am too attached to my collection to give it up. I realized too that once I sold my collection there would no longer be a reason to be on this forum and I would miss that and it made me really sad.

So I hope everyone will understand and not judge me too harshly. I have gone back and forth on this many times. I look forward to actively getting back into this hobby and sharing experiences with all of you.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2011 08:28 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
glad you changed your mind Gregory i am sure you will have many more years of enjoyment with them and us thanks and god bless [Smile]

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 01, 2011 08:29 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gregory,

I'm thrilled you're staying with the hobby (and with us)! Your enthusiasm comes through in all your posts and I'm looking forward to reading many more!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2011 08:39 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HAZAH!! There's so much enjoyment to be derived from this simlple medium that it's always sad when someone opts out. Mind you, in no way is anyone obligated to remain a collector for the benefit of others (especially if there are financial reasons one would be forced to sell). Every day, I kick around the question of just how much could I realize for what I have. So far, I always come back to "Naaaaaaa". The day I don't say "No" to myself is the day I may make decisions about liquidating. I think the real catalyst (financial reasons aside) would be there's just no equipment to be had anymore to run my collection so what would I do with a bunch of celluloid that would be of no use - other than something nice to look at. Happy to hear you've decided to keep your goodies. BTW, even if you sold your collection....You would not have to quit the club. I'm sure there are many members who no longer own film, but enjoy the discussions. Truth be told - this will describe all of us here at some point in the future.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 01, 2011 09:07 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg

Great news! I'm glad you decidced to stay. It's always hard to give up something you have enjoyed for years. I recently sold a complete James Bond memorabilia collection of 40 plus years. I'm glad I still have this hobby to enjoy and the people I have met here. I am retired and this really fulfills a void. Plus how many hobbies can you enjoy again since your youthful days again? When Dave Ullom started selling his films on here recently I did buy a lot of them but felt bad about him leaving the hobby. I suggested he keep the best of his collection. Anyway "Go ahead make my day" stay with us.

Pat DAlessio

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2011 09:34 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! gregory,you have made a right decison,i collected super 8
since i was 11 years old until today with 46,i,m still here the
passion for movies it,s forever,when we love certain films and
actors if we are the lucky to have them it,s wonderfull... [Smile] [Smile]

Gregory S. Coad
Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2011 09:39 AM      Profile for Gregory S. Coad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, everyone, you are such a supportive group. I KNOW I made the right decision.

Scott Mallory
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2011 10:05 AM      Profile for Scott Mallory   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gregory, I really wanted those cartoons! But, I'd rather have you on the forum, lol! Glad you're keeping your collection. Plus, my wife threatened me with bodily harm if I don't stop buying so many films. Take Care [Smile]

--------------------
Scott

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 01, 2011 10:36 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great to hear that you are keeping your collection. I have always looked on my life and seen that my biggest mistake was selling my original collection of super 8 way in 1990 to move into laserdisc,

( no laughing folks, please! )

To this day, there are still some optical sound super 8 features that I had back then, with perfect color mind you, that I have never been able to find again ...

Gorky Park, High Road to China and yes, you guessed it, The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams!

I had the best of digital technology for back then too! I thought that with my projection television and my widescreen laserdiscs, that I would be even better off, and while they did have much better sound, I never had all those danged pixels to deal with, with my Super 8 ...

So bravo! I'm very glad to hear that your sticking with your collection. May you have many more enjoyable nights of film viewing!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2011 11:09 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you are staying Gregory. Now order that belt and get that projector working!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 01, 2011 11:30 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, good to know you decided to keep your films.

--------------------
Winbert

Kirkamus Anderson
Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2011 12:04 PM      Profile for Kirkamus Anderson   Email Kirkamus Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yea! I don't think anyone is bummed you're not selling! They're more happy to have another person in the community! Especially in the states!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 01, 2011 12:51 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gregory,
I am delighted to read that you are staying with super 8mm. A lot of people have in the past sold off their films and film equipment, only to really regret it later. Yes, modern digital video projection in the home is wonderful, and I would not wish to be without it. But film and film collecting have unique qualities, particularly as a hobby, which digital simply cannot compete with. Film is active, digital is passive. There is nothing like loading up a reel of film on a film projector and sitting back listening to that sweet purr as the reels roll by.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 01, 2011 01:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
" Film is active ... video is passive ... "

Just love that quote, Paul!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2011 03:24 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't have said it better. Great way to explain to family and friends who think I'm nuts to invest good money in an obsolete medium. Sane reason car afficianados buy a 1972 Dodge Dart over a newer vehicle. They enjoy the hands-on repair work involved in restoration.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2011 05:26 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds great Gregory! You had mentioned that computers have taken up a lot of your time...so when you take a break and you don't have time for a full movie...just thread up one of those digests or cartoons you have and ENJOY!

Bill [Smile]

Gregory S. Coad
Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2011 06:21 PM      Profile for Gregory S. Coad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys, for your many supportive comments. I guess I'm one of those American capitalists that have to have THINGS to make me happy. Life is a matter of making priorities, who says you can't have it all? You just can't go crazy and buy everything you want. If you really want something, you will find a way to get it.

My wife of 36 years living with me completely understands. I think she was a little sad that I decided to sell my collection but she would never say so, she just wants me to be happy. She is pleased with my final decision.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2011 06:27 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sold my Alien scope print along time ago and have regretted since although I needed the money at the time. Doug owns it now.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2011 07:39 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Great comments from everyone -- while it's hard to put into words, I consider my film collecting hobby to be an extension of me -- I can't tell you how many times I find myself humming the Our Gang theme song during the workday. . .

Kirkamus Anderson
Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2011 07:52 PM      Profile for Kirkamus Anderson   Email Kirkamus Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Two loves are Super8 and vintage mopeds.

I finally got my hands on a 1979 Puch Magnum and she'll be around for a long time. (Almost done with the resoration.)

Now I'm buying and selling Super8 to get to my ultimate goal of a Eumig or Elmo projector that takes big reels. I also enjoy the buying and selling. It's fun to trade and see whats out there!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC