8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 The Movie (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Super 8 The Movie
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 10, 2011 02:07 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its winter out here at the moment and what a neat way to spend a rainy day watching Super8 the movie. The 35mm Scope print that we are running looks great, the Dolby Digital sound which got a tune up last week by the experts is excellent. The train derailment and explosions with our sub kicking in big time on that lot was really something. [Eek!] [Smile]

As for the movie itself, well I really enjoyed it, so forget waiting to get it on dvd or Blu-ray that can come later on, go and see it on the big screen, its well worth the price of a movie ticket.

Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2011 05:10 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film has'nt opened here in the UK yet, but can't wait to see it. I understand its a throwback to the adventure/sci fi style of films produced in the seventies, with that certain feeling. My only concern about the film is, that inetrest in the super 8 hobby will grow and we will see an increase in equipment prices. Put it this way I just bought a Sankyo LXL 255 super 8 movie camera in mint condition boxed with manual for 0.99p plus £8.00 postage...what will a similar camera cost when SUPER 8 The Movie gets people interested in the format? Scary Price Rise times ahead methinks?

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 10, 2011 07:27 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the film but I do wonder why everybody seems to think that it's going to cause a surge in people entering the hobby??

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2011 02:38 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may generate some interest in the format. It may generate interest in people finding out what 8mm gauges are in general. Standard 8 is still available and considering the smaller frame size we still get a decent picture quality from his gauge. From my experience the 8mm gauge is best shown on the screen when the original matierial is goood to excellent be it Super 8 or Standed.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 10, 2011 02:48 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose I can see it generating some passing curiosity.
It might engender some interest in youngsters in making movies but, I'd be pretty sure they'll use video.

However, you never know.
[Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 10, 2011 03:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this is going to really change things for us film folks.

Most people that are even aware of 8mm film think they stopped making it back in the 1980s and can't imagine anybody still uses it.

There is this show on the History Channel where these two guys drive around the country in a van buying antiques out of people's barns. A couple of weeks ago one of 'em picked out a 16mm Keystone projector and got really excited about it, but he failed to ask the question he usually asks when he finds anything mechanical:

"Does it work?"

Later he said, "People love these for decoration in their home theaters" The idea of ever really using the thing was the furthest thought from his mind.

So I think with most people who see this movie, the best you can hope for is "I remember those, they were neat. -Shame they stopped making them."

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 10, 2011 03:48 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The show is called American Pickers [Big Grin]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 10, 2011 03:57 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,

As titles go it's actually kind of gross!

I've seen them with Edison cylinder phonographs saying "It's worth so much more in working order" and "Do you have cylinders for it?"

-these went obsolete before the Titanic launched!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2011 04:12 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here we are on release day, and the trailer, reviews, and comments so far convince me that the big screen is the best way to appreciate Super 8. But having checked a parental review site, I was very disappointed to read of the several dozens of profanities and blasphemies uttered in the film -- way more than E.T., etc. -- making this film about 12-year-olds an unacceptable example for my kids. So this family is one who won't be going to see it. I am disappointed.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2011 05:15 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I havent seen the film yet but I think the only way more people will join the hobby is if they showed for example a GS1200 with Scope lens and stereo sound showing the latest trailers/features top prints (which will never happen.) My guess is there will only be a minor curiosity value.

Still cant wait to see it.

Graham S

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 10, 2011 05:57 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be interesting to know how much screen time is actually spent with super 8 equipment on full view.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2011 08:35 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw "Everything Must Go" and there's some super 8 action in it too. I don't want to spoil further.

Alan L. Hitchcox
Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2011 09:19 PM      Profile for Alan L. Hitchcox   Author's Homepage   Email Alan L. Hitchcox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from the theater after seeing Super 8 with my wife. I'd call it a must see for any of us. It was a lot of fun studying the different equipment and props the characters used. Many of the parts were like someone got inside my head. One of the title boards used for the super 8 movie looked exactly like one I used (and still have).
IMPORTANT -- When you see it, you have to stay for the credits.

--------------------
Alan Hitchcox
Willoughby, Ohio USA

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2011 10:23 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, don't miss the end credits. For all of us who made (tried to make) a Super 8 short film, this is a must. I still have all of my Super 8 films from my teen years.....ironically shot from 1979 onwards when this film is set!

A TV reviewer here just referred to kids making a movie with a hand-held camera! I don't think he even understood what the title of the film referred to!!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 11, 2011 05:05 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing about the added Super8 short during the end credits was that the edges of the Super8 projector gate needed cleaning [Big Grin] I have seen film collectors project just like what was shown in this short....and you would think....clean that gate. [Smile]

Super8 got a 4 out 4 star review in todays local paper which these days we dont see to often.

I will "Quote" a short bit from the paper as the review was lengthy.

Mayby a smidgen too scary for under-10s, Super8 provides plenty of entertainment for today's teens and will evoke childhood memories for their parents. [Smile]

Interesting night tonight we had a fully booked cinema for the city karate clubs for "Pirates" around same time we were screening Super8 in another. They asked about booking in a months time for Super8 I said to the organizer that would be an excellent idea and would recommend it. They asked about the name Super8 they thought it must be Video 8mm ....gee whiz I said [Eek!] its not tape its FILM [Mad] anyway I invited those who were interested to look around the projection room after "Pirates" finished and many did. I gave as many strips of FILM away as possible [Big Grin] and they thought that was great, also explained what Super8 film was all about...anyway they paid the big bucks tonight for "Pirates" so they got more than just a movie, always a good crowd and the last film they watched one here it was "guess what" the Karate Kid....funny that! anyway so far everyone including some of our cinema staff have enjoyed Super8 the movie and I will be back at work tomorrow with some Super8 film to show the young ones what it looks like.

Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 11, 2011 07:46 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great Graham - give those kids an education about narrow guage film. I doubt if there is a single projectionist here in Orlando who has a clue as to what super 8 film is.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 11, 2011 09:49 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although it's impossible to claim that 'Super 8' will end up being a major boost for the hobby, I suggest that however cautious and realistic we are, we should think positive, because let's face it, will we ever get a better opportunity to promote Super 8 film and film collecting to a wider audience? If the film had come out about 8 years ago, the 'industry' would have probably been in a better position and more motivated to make the most of it, and I expect we would have already been buying a trailer to the film (on Super 8, of course) from Derann or CHC even before the feature was in cinemas. Things have declined somewhat since then and I'd be pleasantly surprised if anyone that makes part of their living from Super 8 does anything to tie in with the release (except, with luck, Steve O or someone will release the trailer, which surely would sell quite well even in 2011), so it's essentially down to us. We can ALL still look for opportunities to spread the word in any situation where the film sparks interest. This can be via personal contact or (e.g.) comments or responses on IMDB or other sites, plugging this forum and sites such as the BFCC and dealers to anyone interested. Graham's actions are a great example. Remember that film collectors are a miniscule body compared to the numbers that will watch 'Super 8'. Even if one in every 100,000 was inspired to become involved, they would be a major boost. I don't think the fact that it's 'retro technology' should be seen as a massive problem as that hasn't prevented a revival in vinyl records in recent years, with kids now buying 7inch singles, which must have been almost obsolete 10 years ago.
I do think a trailer release would help because it would be the perfect way to connect to the film and demonstrate Super 8 in action. In the old days of cinema showmanship, press books would probably have suggested to cinemas that they use a Super 8 projector to show the trailer in the foyer, just as some used to do this with 16mm.

[ June 12, 2011, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 12, 2011 03:50 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that one dedicate Super 8 trader will bring us the Super 8 trailer..Fingers crossed. [Razz]

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2011 05:04 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The big problem Super 8 has today is that you cant advertise it because of the copyright and if you did it would get some people in trouble that we are always told not to mention too much to the media about what is available. Unless you advertise it to the general public, who's going to know it still exists. It would be great if a GS1200 stereo scope could be shown on TV showing recent cinema releases like Master and Commander and Retern of the Sith running through it but it seems you cant do that for the above reasons.

I hope the trailer does come out if the only company left can release it. Heres hoping - [Razz]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 12, 2011 01:37 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It would be great if a GS1200 stereo scope could be shown on TV showing recent cinema releases like Master and Commander and Retern of the Sith running through it...

I understand what you're getting at, Graham but even if this were to happen, it would arouse curiosity perhaps but nothing more. These films are available on DVD and that's what the general public is happy with.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 12, 2011 02:10 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham - I'm not sure if the only company left you're referring to is CHC, but there's also Steve Osborne's 'Reel Image' releases, some of which overlap with CHC, but he also releases items that are exclusive to him and are not offered by CHC. There are also possibly one or two sources in Germany, especially if you include the forum member who posted another thread here! And also Osi's GIOSI Films.

I'm no legal authority but trailer releases can arguably be openly promoted, as trailers are generally considered copyright free. Hence clips from them are often used in documentaries, to avoid having to pay royalties. It's good publicty for trailers to get as much exposure as possible so I can't envisage a film distributor having a big problem with this - countless trailers have been released and advertised on S8 over decades without royalties being paid and I'm not aware of any S8 distributor having a problem as a result.

I have to disagree with Michael that there isn't scope to gain new recruits. A recent thread about ages on the 16mm Forum revealed that quite a few members there are aged around 20-30. It's also a chance to create awareness amongst people who have projectors but have become out of touch. It still occasionally happens that a used film sells on eBay for a higher price than a new copy that can still be bought.

[ June 12, 2011, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 12, 2011 02:11 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's fair comment, Adrian.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2011 03:50 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, Trailers may be copyright free (not totally sure about this [Roll Eyes] ) but it is the other films that could be a problem if studios delved deeper into what this company released. Having said all this Derann openly advertised films on their website for years without any fears so I dont know where we stand.

Michael you're probably right about DVD ruling. 95% of the population are only interested in the picture on the screen, not how it gets there. This new movie might raise a few new fans, but probably just a few.

It will be interesting to see if the DVD version has any bonus features on super 8 film.

Graham S

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 12, 2011 05:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went a bit nuts last night with a digital camera.
 -
Simplex 35mm projector with "Super8" the movie screening.
 -
Screen shot of the movie from the projection room.
 -
Another screen photo...one broken Super8 camera and the "70s" hair style and dress... remember those days?
 -
I brought in a Super8 camera to show the staff at work this kindly young lady let me take a photo of her holding it, compared with the modern video camera these days the film camers is heavy stuff.
 -
....Action....

Graham. [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 12, 2011 06:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heavier for sure, but WAY cooler than any consumer video camera!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC