8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » My "Micro" super8mm collection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My "Micro" super8mm collection
Kirkamus Anderson
Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2011 12:44 PM      Profile for Kirkamus Anderson   Email Kirkamus Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I don't have enough disposable income to make a nice big collection, but have settled on having what I will call a "Micro" collection.

My goal is to have one film from all the genres I enjoy, either feature or cut down. Start small I say.

So, as for now I have the following "Micro" collection:

Western - StageCoach Sound Feature by the great John Ford

Sci fi- Revenge of the creature - silent

Silent Comedy - Buster Keaton "The General" 2 Reeler

70's Comedy - Two Reeler "SlapShot" Paul Newman Hockey movie.

Planned additions would be:

Cartoons: 1 x 600ft reel with 3 Sound Disney Cartoons assembled.

80's Comedy: Airplane? Suggestions?

Horror: "Jaws" 200ft or Poltergeist if I ever fall into a pile of money.

Any Suggestions of Generes or films that are a must have?

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 15, 2011 01:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh!

It would be hard to find 80's comedy, as usually 80's comedy is a rather unrepresented area of super 8. A few suggestions ...

Purple Rose of Cario (woody Allen) Super 8 optical feature
(actually that one is more of a drama)
Broadway Danny Rose (woody allen) Super 8 optical feature
Trading places (Dan Ackroyd, Eddie Murphy) Optical sound feature
History of the World part 1 (Mel Brooks) Super 8 optical feature
(rare, but it's out there)
A Fish Called wanda (John Cleese) Super 8 optical feature

There are good digests out there, mostly from the 70's though

Blazing Saddles (Mel Brooks)
Young Frankenstein (Mel Brooks) (both a digest and full feature)

ect. ect.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2011 03:38 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is 'The Blues Brothers' U8 2 x 400' which is officially 80's. U8 also released 'Animal House' 2 x 400 and Richard Pryor in Concert 4x400 which are late 70's but, those would be on anyone collectors wish-list. You should consider Trailers, Documentary, Serial, Musical, Sports, Silent Drama, Silent Animation, Suspense, Foreign, Mystery, Action, Adventure...there are many.

I hope to open the field for trading in the near future, but that should be a different thread. Your collection looks good, it grows very quickly, before you know it you will not have enough space for all of them.

P.S. -- I didn't know Trading Places was available. [Smile]

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2011 06:44 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YOUNG FRANKY came out in Super 8?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 15, 2011 07:49 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kirkamus,

You're off to a good start!

I'd try to include a few of the best edited digests, since they're great examples of the hobby and audiences can appreciate them:

Jaws
Definitely the 200' version you mentioned, and the 2x400' is also very good.
Raiders of the Lost Ark Marketing 400'
Frankenstein Castle Films 200'
Any of the MGM 2x 400' musicals

Tony,

The German distributor Piccolo Film released a 400' version of Young Frankenstein.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2011 08:19 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How was it? Was it in German or English? When Marty Feldman says "Frau Blucher" to the horses it probably doesn't get the laughs that it did here in the states. How is the editing? I've never seen a Piccolo digest. Are they the identical prints from U/8 or is the scene selection all different?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 15, 2011 09:10 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Although Piccolo released many of the U-8s in Germany, they also had many of their own german language releases that differed greatly (and were often better) than the Ken and Columbia digests, such as The Omen and Taxi Driver.
I haven't seen the Young Frankenstein digest, but I've heard great things about it.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC