8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 2 Odd Looking GS 1200 Projectors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 Odd Looking GS 1200 Projectors
Desmond Godwin
Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2011 03:33 PM      Profile for Desmond Godwin   Author's Homepage   Email Desmond Godwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While searching thru the Web i came across these 2 odd looking Elmo GS1200 projector's. The Xenon just appears to be an Opticial Machine but i have never seen a 'P.COM ' Elmo..
Anyone got more info on this unit?

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2011 04:52 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the P Com is a super recorder / super sound machine. OR top of the line.

Here is a link to some old posts about that model.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000687

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2011 05:38 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PCom means Personal computer. It has a motorola processor inside to schedule four recordings by the digital framecounter.
I have it. It has a 30+30 watts amplifier, like the Xenon machine (STK443 the power IC)

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2011 05:58 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does the lens on the P Com look odd.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2011 06:31 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because that specific unit has been modified for a telecine chain.

--------------------
Maurizio

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 06, 2011 07:57 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Eumig did a far better and more comprehensive job on their 926/938/940 outboard mixing console than Elmo did on the PCOM.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2011 09:21 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, one of those amazing variations on the GS:
The one-track, playback-only Xenon....they certainly tried to make something for everyone.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2011 12:52 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I partially agree with Paul: both ergonomically and estetically models 926/938 are 'iconic', but neither of them feature program capabilities, except model 938 has an-auto record shut-off linked to the film counter. The 940, of course, is a whole different kettle of fish, but I tend to steer away from these pre digital-era monstres as, if these ICs fail, there is no remedy at all; to the best of my knowledge this is true of both Eumig 940 and Elmo P Com; there should still be spares available for the Bauer T610's "processor" (I think this one was the first to introduce programming features), thanks to a more sensible spares ditribution policy.

--------------------
Maurizio

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2011 08:32 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmmmmm,Mmmmmmm. Smart looking unit, though. Someday (when I can successfully mis-direct Mrs. Kimball's attention from all the celluloid and apparatuses I've accumulated over the years) I'll get me an ELMO and see what it is I'm missing out on. Not that my CHINONs, EUMIGs and B&Hs haven't done right by me. I just feel like that kid... Everyone's got a 10-speed bike and I'm still riding a 3-speed with thin tires. Boy, O'h Boy! What a great day that was when Dad came home with my first 10-speed Schwinn! You never saw a kid do homework so fast each day so he could go out riding after school. When I graduated into 16mm and my first unit arrived, I had that same feeling from that day 35 years ago. Funny how a film projector can get someone so pumped. Isn't it just nuts?! My wife thinks I'm a great father and husband, but a bit daft at times.

Desmond Godwin
Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2011 03:01 PM      Profile for Desmond Godwin   Author's Homepage   Email Desmond Godwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Brad.. I can only say that when you eventually do get your
hand's on an Elmo GS 1200 (Xenon if possible) you will probably never look at your existing 8mm projector's in the same 'Light' again! A friend of mine is big into old clock's and restoring them. Some people think he is daft, but he is not ..He is just enjoying his hobby..just like you are....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC