8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New to film..need a little guidance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New to film..need a little guidance
Mike Felling
Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2011 10:51 PM      Profile for Mike Felling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all!

Thanks for much for having this place for folks like myself wanting to get into film!

With that being said.. I am totally new to everything film wise. Today I was shopping around our local thrift store, and found what I think was a great buy. A Chinon Sound SP-330 for 4$! It was to cheap for me to pass up, so I bought it. So I get it home and plug it in, and everything seems to be operational besides the lamp. So I take off the front cover and take out the lamp.. and it looks as if the filament is good, it doesn't look broken or anything. Because I have some minor electrical experience, I went ahead and took off the back of the projector to make sure everything looked ok. The first thing I see.. is a fuse wrapped in aluminum foil. I can only assume this is not a good thing. So I take it out.. and sure enough.. the fuse is broken. So I have to get a new 2 amp fuse. No biggie. Knowing someone has been messing around in the unit, I start to wonder if any of the other wires have been moved due to the lamp looking pretty new, and not firing. Here is the rundown. I see that one wire from the lamp socket is connected to a micro switch common plug, while the other lamp socket wire is connected to the 0v terminal on the board. Then there is a wire coming from the NO (normally open) plug from the micro switch to the 12v terminal on the board.

So my questions are, can a lamp be bad/blown even if it doesn't look that way to the naked eye? And does the above wiring for the lamp sound correct? I can take pictures if you all would like, if you find it too hard to understand what I'm trying to say.

Thanks for your time! I'm looking forward to getting more knowledgeable about this new hobby!

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2011 01:05 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried replacing the fuse and firing it up with that same lamp? That would be my first move.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2011 02:13 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there Mike,
The fuse will likely be for the sound amplifier and shouldn't effect the lamp operation. Could be that the lamp socket has poor contacts or the lamp pins have an oxide coating preventing continuity. Scrape the pins clean and try sliding the socket on to the pins with the machine running and lamp turned on. It should light up when the contacts find a good circuit. This is a very common problem on all 8mm projectors that have been idle for some time.
Hope the sound amplifier works after you replace the broken fuse.
good luck with it....
[Razz]
dogtor frankarnstein

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 18, 2011 05:19 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't add much to the above suggestions other than to say that I think it would be very rare (but not impossible) for a lamp to not work, if it's clear that the filament isn't broken. If you try what has been proposed and it still doesn't work, you could try a different lamp (you'll want to get a spare anyway) but it probably won't be the solution. A photo might then help someone with appropriate electronics knowledge to comment.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and the hobby! We certainly need new blood to support the dealers, if we want to see new releases nowadays.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mike Felling
Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2011 05:06 PM      Profile for Mike Felling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. I got some fuses today.. and put on in just to feel better about it. I tried firing it up with the same lamp..and nothing. Same problem. So I tried taking it out cleaning the 2 pins on it.. and putting it in while it was on, and I got a small, quick flash.. and then right back off. I checked the lamp after this and it still looks the same. I took some pictures so everyone can see what I'm seeing and maybe some up with some other alternatives to why this may be happening. I'm going to order another lamp or two soon I guess.

Anywhoo.. here are the pictures..

-

-

-

Mike Felling
Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 11:57 AM      Profile for Mike Felling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just tested some things out the other way I thought they should be.. and still nothing. So I am thinking its either the lamp, or for some reason the lamp isn't getting power from the terminals on the board. A multimeter would be helpful but I don't have one right now. And I hate to spend the money on the extra lamps if its not even getting power. Id also hate to throw this out just due to a lamp issue. Any thoughts?

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 20, 2011 12:55 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Mike

I would invest in a small multimeter. I have one and it's the best investment I ever made. If your going to tinker with projectors at all I think it's a must have. Also, you will find it very useful in other electrical applications. That being said, the fact that the bulb did come in for an instant indacates voltage at the socket and a good bulb. That's what I would concentrate on. Now, if you can clearly see the filament is not damaged then I would proceed to look fo loose socket . If you had a multimeter you can actually test the bulb by checking fot continuity from pin to pin. That would tell you for sure the bulb is good. You could also check the individual socket pin holes for voltage. From what you are descriping, you have a intermittent connection. This is the area I would search more in. Basically a bad connection.

Good luck!

PatD

PS You can buy a multimeter on EBay for about 15.00 with shipping. Or even at Radio Shack for abouy 20.00.

Mike Felling
Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 07:11 PM      Profile for Mike Felling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went and purchased a multimeter today. Checked the pin sockets with it first.. and nothing. I checked it on a battery first to make sure the meter was operational, and everything worked fine.. So I went ahead and tested the switch with it activated .. no reading. Then I went for the kill and tested the 12v terminal on the board.. and still nothing. I then checked all the other terminals on the board, and every one supplied what they were supposed to. I checked around for loose connections (didn't find any).. and re-seated the connectors.. and tested one last time. Same thing.. all the other terminals work but the one for the lamp. [Frown]

Instead of replacing the ballast that supplies power to the rest of the board.. is there any way to jerry rig a power supply to the lamp through the switch? Like a wall AC adapter? I believe the lamp itself is not the problem any longer.. and it sounds like something is wrong with where the 12v terminal connects into the ballast. Like I said before.. id hate to just junk it because of the lamp issue, but If I have to... I guess I have to. [Frown]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 20, 2011 07:44 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

Set the meter for continuity and touch the test leads to the pins on the bulb. You should get a reading. This will put the bulb issue aside for good.

Make sure the meter is set for the right voltage and current ac/dc etc.

The fact that the bulb flickered on once indicates a temporary break in the power somewhere.

Test the wires where they are soldered TO the lamp socket for voltage. This will tell you if you have power at the pins.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 20, 2011 07:56 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one experience a bulb looked good to me but didn't light on. Apparently one of the pins had broken inside. It is very rare occasion but it may happen.

To check if the ins are OK, take your bulb and test for the connection. The two pins must be connected if you put multimeter on both.

BTW, Chinon 330MV is my favorite simple projector. You can read many my praise to this projector.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Mike Felling
Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 08:10 PM      Profile for Mike Felling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Pasquale!

I set the meter for continuity, and then zero'd it by touching the leads together and zeroing with my ohm slider. I then tested the lamp..I got a reading!. So the lamp is fine, so we can put that to rest. [Smile] Now, if I understand correctly you are talking about taking a measurement from the lamp socket base.. but they arent soldered on anywhere where I can test from.

-

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 20, 2011 09:16 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mistake. I didn't look at the pic properly. The two pin holes in the socket is what you want to test for voltage. Now, is this is a 12v dc bulb the meter should be set to dc volts. I you don't get a reading at the pins in the socket then trace the wires back to the source and check for voltage. What you want to do is trace back until you do get a reading.

Mike Felling
Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 10:16 PM      Profile for Mike Felling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I set to dc volts and I test the pin holes on the socket.. no reading. I then trace the wires back to where they are getting power at the 12v terminal on the board (see 2nd picture of this thread for this terminal) and I get nothing from that 12v solder point. Each of the other solder points gives me a reading. Well the 0v doesn't give me a reading.. but I don't really expect it to. Each of these solider points in the main power board, have wires going to a ballast that sits underneath (see 1st pic of thread).

Mike Felling
Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2011 06:05 PM      Profile for Mike Felling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is definitely my problem. That 12v supply terminal is the only one not working (or working for a split second, and not working again). I find that very odd that its the only terminal not working. I took the power supply out a little bit today so I could see behind it. Everything looks fine. No scorch marks or anything. While it was out, I went ahead and preformed the test again at the point where it goes into the power supply. Still the same problem. Its just like the power supply isn't sending up to that terminal. I don't get it. I checked the wires to and from the micro switch for continuity, and they all gave me a reading and tested fine. Its got to be something to do in this power supply, I'm just not sure what.

Mike Felling
Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2011 03:09 PM      Profile for Mike Felling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was doing some testing around today, and found out a couple things. First, I have another halogen lamp (wont fit this projector, not the same wattage or voltage) so I threw it on the multimeter, and it gave me a full meter of continuity. I then tested the bulb for the projector once again.. and it only spikes a little bit. It doesn't even give 1/4 of a full meter. Earlier, I thought just getting some reading at all from the bulb would mean its good. However.. seeing a bulb I know is good give a full meter reading.. makes me wonder if that low reading really means the projector bulb is bad.

I also tested that 12v power terminal again but this time instead of using a ground on the machine to place the tester, I used the 0v output terminal as the ground. Also instead of using DC.. I set it to AC.. and I got a good reading from the 12v terminal. I'm just wondering what this all means. I guess I'm just going to bite the bullet and order a new lamp, and test it. That will rule that out once and for all. If that doesn't work, I guess its time to let this one go, as getting a new part would require soldering, and even finding the part would be difficult I think.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC