8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ektachrome 100D help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ektachrome 100D help
Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2011 06:13 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

You know what Ive been filming since the early 90's mainly on Kodachrome but I have also shot a few Ektachrome and B/W's but Ive started to have doubts about whether Ive used the internal filter correctly. In the main whatever the filmstock, if im shooting outdoors I have the camera set for outdoors and if Im shooting indoors I set the camera to indoor. And this goes for Ektachrome and plus x too as well as Kodachrome.

So Im about to start shooting on some new Ektachrome 100D so could someone tell me whether the filter has to be in or out?

If I shoot Ektachrome 100D indoors do I set the camera to indoor or outdoor?
If I shoot Ektachrome 100D outdoors do I set the camera to indoor or outdoor?

If I shoot Plus x indoors do I set the camera to indoor or outdoor?
If I shoot Plus x outdoor do I set the camera to indoor or outdoor?

If I shoot Tri x indoors do I set the camera to indoor or outdoor?
If I shoot Tri x indoors do I set the camera to indoor or outdoor?

Generally speaking in the past I always assumed that the old Ektachrome and Tri x was indoor film while Plus x was an outdoor film and only used Ektachrome 125 indoors but I remember having a blue cast but was this the filter incorrectly used?

I never used 64T as I still had a fridge full of kodachrome at the time but now that is all used up I want to use 100D.

I hope someone can help.

Graham S

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 04, 2011 08:15 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham.

Ekta 100D is shot outdoors with no filter, indoors (Tungsten) with 80A filter. Therefore the camera is always set to "indoor" and you add an external filter to shoot with tungsten light.

Tri-X and Plus-X are shot unfiltered, although I usually use a neutral density filter with Tri-X if I'm shooting outdoors in bright sunlight to avoid overexposure.

Plus-X has been discontinued (-shame: it was a great film...)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 05, 2011 05:58 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite right Steve.

Yes Graham. When I made the titles you requested for your 9-5 film it was using 100D along with the artificial filter and the net results are what you got back once I sent off for processing. It will be the same with 8mm..

If you are filming black and white and happen to film a sky scene pop on a light blue filter and providing you have clouds in the sky you will capture some wonderful shades within the clouds. You will need to allow a little more exposure because of the filter.

Happy days!

Kirkamus Anderson
Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2011 04:17 PM      Profile for Kirkamus Anderson   Email Kirkamus Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
also remember when you put that 80A on 100d it becomes 25asa....

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2011 05:06 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks Steve, Lee and Kirkamus for your clear answers. I understand it all now.

I never really shot much Ektachrome in the past because I started using Fuji Single 8 200N for shooting indoors. This was quite grainy but the colours were good and worked in low light conditions.

I still have a few Plus x in the fridge. I dont know why Kodak discontinued plus x but kept tri x. Plus x was much better IMO.

Lee, I think I do have a very light blue filter somewhere. What strength do you recommend?

Graham S

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 05, 2011 05:28 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plus-X and K-40 were a great pair.

I went years without shooting B&W in S8 because the local photo stores didn't stock anything but K-40 and E-160. Later I was able to source Plus-X and being so close in ASA to K-40 it was no adjustment for me to use it. (especially when it was still 50 ASA)

I have a friend who got the idea in his head I shot B&W because it was cheaper...then he found out it was actually more expensive and he just couldn't process the idea at all!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2011 05:28 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you are filming black and white and happen to film a sky scene pop on a light blue filter ...
Hi Lee!
You are a little bit wrong here: B/W films are oversensitive for blue, so a blue sky will show white without a filter and you don't get much contrast with clouds. To make the blue sky grey on the image you need to filter part of the blue light, which is done with the complementary colour: so you'd need a filter with yellow or orange colour. You can actually use the internal filter for doing that.

--------------------
Alex

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 06, 2011 06:01 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alexander. Ah Austria home of the Eumig..

In the 70's I did a mood film using B&W with some nice cloud shots using a lightish blue filter to bring out the couds different shades. The old memory this end is getting a bit faded but the effect was very nice and interesting to look at. It's perhaps worth experimenting with some filters Graham.

I'm making ready to make a Standard 8 B&W film myself so will include a few filtered shots to see what happerns. I wanted to try and do some live sound using the old Marantz CP230 with a Bolex camera then edit the film, sound and link up on the edit system before getting down to my home striped film. Should be fun!

Keep up the good work all you cine film makers.. [Smile]

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2011 07:15 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright - taking the blue filter to make the clouds themselves more effectful; interesting, I have not tried this yet. Sorry, I misunderstood you, Lee.

--------------------
Alex

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC