8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Infor re: 8mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Infor re: 8mm
Laura McGuinness
Junior

- posted September 08, 2011 06:49 AM      Profile for Laura McGuinness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Hello everyone. I've just got some 8mm films. A two part film of Dr Who & The Daleks, starring Peter Cushing. One 400ft reel of an Elvis film "Tickle Me" (it says selected scenes) so I assume it is not the full length feature as it would need more than a single reel of 400ft. Lastly I have Bruce Lee The Man & The Myth. It too is a single 400ft reel and says selected scenes. All are in their original boxes. Can anyone give me any information about these, value and history. Thank you in advance, Laura

--------------------
Laura

|  IP: Logged

Colin Auty
Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2011 09:00 AM      Profile for Colin Auty   Email Colin Auty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Laura - welcome to the forum.
The films you list are what we call cut downs , an abridged version of the film usually showing the main scenes from a film.
The Elvis title if my memory serves me contains the songs from the movie.
A 400ft reel of film has aprox 20 minutes running time.
In their heyday they would be purchased new for around £35.
Todays value would depend on the rarity of the title,the condition of the film , and for colour titles whether the colour has faded (pinkish tint to the film)- you could check this out if you have a super 8 projector available.
Some of the titles can be purchased on e-bay and from some dealers for anything between £10 - £20 .(or more if a rare title)Hope this helps.
Regards Colin

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 08, 2011 09:04 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Laura, this is my guest

- Two part film of Dr Who & The Daleks was released by Walton.
- Elvis film "Tickle Me" & Bruce Lee The Man & The Myth were released by Derann.

I guess the most valuable one will be Dr Who & the Deleks. It can be sold to GBP 40. Elvis is not that high, I bought exactly like yours for only GBP 8.

The value of Bruce Lee films depends on who is buying. If he is really fans of Bruce Lee, he will know that this is not played by the real Bruce Lee but only an imitator of him. It can be high, it can be low, bur around GBP 15 is the average

But the best way is to put them on Ebay.

Good luck!

--------------------
Winbert

Laura McGuinness
Junior

- posted September 08, 2011 06:11 PM      Profile for Laura McGuinness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the information Colin and Winbert. I appreciate your replies. I don't have a projector to see if the colour has deteriorated. I thought the Dr Who may have been the most valuable I paid over £65 for the three (Ix Elvis, 1x Bruce Lee and the two reel Dr who).

A few months ago I also bought two 400ft reels of "Top Hat" starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. I thought it was the complete film until I got them home, then noticed on the boxes it's reels 3 & 4, so obviously reels 1 &2 are missing...anyway, thanks again for your advice. Laura... [Smile]

PS: Winbert, your guess was correct on all counts regarding the films, type and makers etc;

--------------------
Laura

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 08, 2011 06:40 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid the price you paid was on the high side, although not too bad if the films and boxes are in excellent condition. Due to the filmstock used by the distributors, there's a fairly good chance that the Dr Who reels still have good colour, although the others are more likely to be faded. It's easy to spot signs of fade even without a projector. Simply hold up the leader and a few feet of the film itself to the light, and if it looks predominantly reddish, it's faded.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC