8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Old Cameras & Projectors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Old Cameras & Projectors
Yvette Townsend
Junior

- posted September 25, 2011 06:23 PM      Profile for Yvette Townsend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,

Brand new to this forum. I was going through my Dads (passed) old cameras/projectors & equipment and I dont know where to start. I have a Chinon Sound 8500, Dekko Double 8mm Cine Camera, G.B Bell & Howell 624EE Autoset. I have the manual for the Dekko but not for the others. There are more cameras and projectors but I only took these home for now. They seem to be working although the Chinon projector has the bulb missing and I have no idea how to change it.

Any suggestions where I should start with all this stuff.
Are any of these valuable as they are in excellent condition?

I love photography and I am learning alot with my SLR.

Yvette

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 26, 2011 04:56 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Yvette
The Chinon 8500 was introduced around the mid 1970's and is a Super 8mm sound projector which I think takes the 15 volt 150 watt lamp or the 100 watt 12volt type but it would be worth looking at the back of the machine as it will tell you on a small plate showing voltage etc. These were a very popular choice in the 70's and available in the local high street shops in the main.

You can change the lamp (bulb) by pulling away the black front cover and inside you will also need to remove the metal heat shield which covers the lamp. This may be held in place with a screw or sprung clips.

The other items are not of great value but may be a collectable item for someone.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2011 08:16 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Yvette, clean, cared for equipment sells well on ebay. Test all you can, the lamp for the projector is not expensive. Just present it with good pictures and description if you advertise it.

Good luck with it.

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2011 06:52 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Yvette

I have been looking for a chinon like that and would be interested in buying your chinon and am in QLd.
Send me an email to discuss a private sale.

thanks
dogtor frankarnstein

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

William Mouroukas
Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2011 07:43 AM      Profile for William Mouroukas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also new to the forums this being my first post. I was 11 when in 1968 I bought my first Super 8 (S8) set up, A Chinon Dart 3x zoom with Eumig Mark 8. When Kodak brought Sound to S8 I saved every cent that came my way to get the new gear. As studios released titles, our home movie nights were augmented with professional productions. The whole family always enjoyed my home movie sessions but as the years passed and equipment failures occurred these became rare events.
I started shooting VHS home video in the early 90s but after the initial novelty I realized it wasn't the same so I didn't give up shooting S8 until my camera developed a fault around 2001. I reluctantly concluded S8 was no longer viable when I had the camera repaired but it stopped working not long after the warranty period. Not only that but I had a conflict with the shop when the camera came back without its lens hood and 1A skylight filter (They denied it had it because it wasn't noted on the original order, which they themselves filled out).
With a few rolls of Kodachrome silent and sound still unexposed, I tried to find a camera from friends and other contacts but I couldn't find a working camera. Another reason I stopped looking for a S8 solution was that a single system for S8 sound was no longer available.
Recently, I was pleased and surprised to learn of the availability and amazing range of S8 camera stock. This sparked a curiosity in me to investigate S8 on the web and again I was surprised to see how much there is out there. The more I searched the web the more I realized that my passion for S8 was as strong as ever. As I researched the web it became apparent the norm these days is shooting on film for digital transfer, and while I would always include a digital transfer with processing, I will always want to project my S8 because I'm yet to see a video projector or panel that can give the same viewing experience.
As I thought more on the possibility of rekindling my passion I started thinking about sound and that can only mean double system. About 8 years ago I did an Advanced Diploma on computer manufacturing which touched on programming. Even then I thought about the possibility to modify a projector so it could link with a PC and achieve synchronized sound. As over the past few weeks I searched the web for all things S8 I thought to see if anyone had done anything..And I found it! It's called 'Film O Sync'. Originally conceived for use with a 16mm projector, I see no reason why it should not be possible to adapt it for S8. Here’s a link for more info:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Sync-Digital-Sound-to-Your-16mm-Film-Projector/
So now it seems that it is possible to record and project sync audio using Film O Sync. You could even have you film striped and marry the audio to the film.
I'm so enthused with all this that I've just bought a Beaulieu 4008 ZMII from eBay looking to have it modified by Pro8mm for crystal sync. I've also bought an Elmo ST180 and two Heurtier P6-24B (one with the sound platform).
If I can put the time into it I'd like to tinker with the projectors and learn how to service them myself but I really want to find a good tech. My Eumigs all have problems and need an experienced hand.
That's my inaugural post. Good to be onboard.

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2011 08:03 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi William

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you have some very fine equipment and it may need special attention. If so, I can help you with service on the Eumigs and ELmos. Am not too far away away from you, at Labrador Qld. So email me if you want any projector service.

regards
dogtor

[Razz]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

William Mouroukas
Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2011 06:19 PM      Profile for William Mouroukas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Frank - Will do.

William Mouroukas
Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2011 06:20 PM      Profile for William Mouroukas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry - mistaken entry.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC