8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A question on Print stock and does Fumeo still exist?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A question on Print stock and does Fumeo still exist?
William Mouroukas
Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2011 12:09 AM      Profile for William Mouroukas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I asked this first question elsewhere but as there was no answer I'll try once more:
1) I stopped buying S8 by 1980 but I still have every print I bought. I screened some Disney reels a couple of weeks ago and I only noticed one going pink; "Day at Disneyland" and as I recall it was heading that way about 15-20 years ago. After reading forum comments I suppose I've done the right thing storage wise.
Is it generally known or if not, how can I tell what kind of stock was used on my Disney reels and should I expect them to be going pink/fading anytime soon?
2) I've seen mention on the 8mm Forum of the Fumeo projectors. These look like a great machine. I haven't been able to find a website for the company. Does it still exist as a projector manufacturer and if so, do they still supply their S8 machines?

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2011 01:09 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a loupe or some sort of magnifier and examine the markings along/between sprocket holes (which means often looking several places because the holes cut off markings). You'll see stuff like "Eastman +o S*afety Film" or "Kodak SP" or better yet "Eastman LPP." The combinations of circes, squares, and triangles are date codes. The position of the * in Safety denotes which country the film was manufactured in.

Can't help with (2).

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2011 02:33 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William, Fumeo were around a few years ago, but now I'm not sure in 2011.

Most films made pre 82/83 will fade on Super 8. There was no Technicolor made in Super 8 and Kodachrome is very rare for all but home movies (these are no or low fade processes). Some pre-83 Fuji stock holds up OK and even the occasional Eastman or Eastman SP can be OK. Most pre 82 Super 8 will fade however.

William Mouroukas
Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2011 06:17 AM      Profile for William Mouroukas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Bill and David.
I had a look at one of my Disney titles which probably would have been one of the last purchases (circa 1979) and sure enough found 'KODAK SP'. This is one of a few that I had not edited onto a single reel and was still in the original box. It looks to be going pink. I'm waiting on delivery of my Film O Clean before I project any more of my collection, particularly home movies.
I also had a look at my 'Moon Day July 1969' which I bought in 1969 and this has no markings at all but it is going pink. It too is stored in the original box.
It looks to me that the reels I edited onto 600 foot reels and stored in the plastic cans have held their colour better than the cardboard boxed reels.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC