8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Blowing the film path during projecting with high pressure air

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blowing the film path during projecting with high pressure air
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 07, 2011 12:12 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I need your opinion.

I have a can of dust removal that is to blow the dust on any electronic devices. I think, the can contains high pressure air that can strongly blow the air.

Although I have clean my projector, but it is very often there suddenly dust come to film path that appears on the screen. I can stop the projector and do proper cleaning, but this also kill my enjoyment especially if I invite friends to watch.

So what do you think if I use this dust removal to the film path without stopping the projector. Any harm will happen to the lamp?

ps: I have check that the can only blow air, no liquid at all.

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2011 12:18 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should be fine as long as you are not blowing straight into the lamp (which I cannot figure out how you'd do anyway)...I have also had very good results (pre- film-o-clean) with taking some film cleaner (ie: film guard/film renew, etc) on a small webril/cloth and applying it to the front and back of the film prior to entering the gate and usually it will scoop up whatever dust is around and pull it out of the gate

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2011 12:42 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Winbert,

This is my number one pet peeve, when hair or debris collects on the gate while a screening is going on. Fortunately, on longer shows with splices, the splice seems to get rid of the debris as it passes through the gate. I've made the mistake of trying to blow off the debris on my own, only to fog up the lens! I later did it again , thinking if I did it faster it would work, only to get spit on the projector. [Embarrassed]

Now I keep a Duster can near my when screening alone and with family. When I use it, it takes most of the stuff off however, hair sometimes gets caught for a while with no help from the Duster. Like Dino mentioned, when ever I clean or lubricate the film before it passes through the gate, it reduces the chances of debris getting in the way of a smooth running show.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 07, 2011 01:07 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had the idea of putting a couple of splicing tapes onto the heads and tails of my films to fish out the fuzz in my gate, but haven't tried it! Generally speaking I go with a fine, clean artist's brush and a puff of air, not that this helps mid-reel.

There's a psychological trick I've never mastered that can solve problems like this, tram lines, fading and audio hum too: learn not to mind them. A couple of years ago I was watching films shown by somebody else, and there was this thick border of furr all the way around the picture. (It was like watching films wearing a parka!) I sat there in my chair squirming, but the guy that owned the machine didn't seem to care at all!

Another friend of mine told me he wanted to have a healthy dose of hum with his sound because then he knew the audio system was operational...

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

William Mouroukas
Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2011 10:11 PM      Profile for William Mouroukas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a funny story Steve.
I can't stand anything in the gate except for the film itself. Whenever dust collects in my Duel Eumigs I usually pull the front side gate assembly frontwards and blow. 4 out of 5 times it does the trick.
I set up my new Film O Clean last night screening for about an hour. Nothing, and I mean nothing appeared in the gate. Best money I've spent for a long while.
I am thinking about getting a small air compressor to have next to the projector. They’re cheap and compact enough these days.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC