8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Check out the new Brookstone catalog

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Check out the new Brookstone catalog
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2011 11:18 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's an ad for a SONY tablet and in the graphic is a 400' Super 8 reel with the film slightly unwound. I wonder what movie was on the reel and if the person shooting the ad was a collector. Normally you see empty 35mm reels, but never 8mm and not with a full reel of film on it.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 30, 2011 11:48 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 01, 2011 01:26 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nicely done [Smile]

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2011 02:09 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks

Take another look at the picture. I don't know what the logic is behind the shot but, the film is resting on top of other films inside a waste basket! The PS controller next to the reels is also kind off odd, as if SONY is subliminally saying "out with old, in with the new"! [Embarrassed]

Did SONY ever make a Super 8 machine?

P.S. Maybe someone will invent Super 8 film reading software.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2011 09:42 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like its time to throw all our films in the trash and buy a Sony tablet...with a huge nine inch screen! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 01, 2011 11:28 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When they mention watching the latest movies, having an actual reel of film adds a touch the "film/movies" thing. However the name Sony tablet sounds strange. I thought a "tablet" was something you took with a glass a water [Big Grin]

Graham.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 01, 2011 12:23 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think companies like Sony and Panasonic ever made movie projectors. They specialize in consumer electronics and back in those days movie projectors were considered "photographic equipment", as in mechanical/optical systems with a little electronics on the side.

You bought TVs in the electronics department, you bought projectors in the camera department.

With advances in electronics the line has blurred and pretty much collapsed entirely. Now Sony makes cameras and Panasonic makes projectors, as in a lot of electronics with a little optics for I/O. Unfortunately Kodak hasn't jumped the barrier the other way.

I'm a little wary of all these little screens people carry around. I'm sure they do wonderful things, but the more portable something is the more droppable, loseable and stealable it becomes. (Speaking as somebody who ran over his cell phone with his car...it fell out of my pocket!)

I'm actually agitating for more corded phones at the house: when it rings you can never find the cordless ones before the answering machine kicks in!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

William Mouroukas
Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2011 02:05 PM      Profile for William Mouroukas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll add very 'limited life' to Steve's list on tablet negatives. My old Eumig Mark 8 is still cranking after 44 years.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 01, 2011 03:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These aren't what you'd call "durable goods".

The question is what comes first: failure or obsolescence.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2011 01:11 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is why I always joke that Sony is behind the end of film...Sony makes consumer (and professional) electronics and the software you use (ie Sony BluRay), it doesn't bode well for a company like that when as you say your Eumig is still cranking along 44 years later. They want you to get the stuff from them (both the players and the media you play) They have almost set it up so that all formats will be gone except the ones Sony is controlling (or at least majorly controlling). This whole end of film stuff started when Sony got into the Film making business and probably didn't like that they had to give all this money away to Kodak or god forbid Fuji....Sony makes digital cameras, digital projectors, digital cinema servers, they own a movie studio and they control the home Bluray business.. I can't think of any more blatant abuse of anti-trust laws, but they are obviously being allowed to do it....

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2011 08:53 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Dino, on all points.

Long live real film!

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2011 10:03 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've read SONY also owns our national anthem ("The Star Spangled Banner"). Apparently SONY's music division owns the performance and recording rights to our national anthem which means every time it's sung at venues where an admission is charged, recorded on an album or performed on television/radio/motion pictures SONY gets a piece of the action. We're slowly selling out America to overseas enterprises and it breaks my heart to see it continue. I don't have a problem with importing foreign commodities, but why the hell are we selling out our very heritage. Next thing you know some foreign company will own the american flag and you'll have to pay them a royalty to have it flying proudly outside your home.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2011 01:55 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can that be when anything published and copyrighted before 1923 is now in public domain (at least from the US)?

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2011 10:21 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The anthem itself is, as you say, Bill, public domain. What SONY did was copyright specific arrangements by specific music industry people and if any of the newly copyrighted arrangements are performed SONY gets a piece. Now here's where it gets tricky.... Let's say I want to lease an arrangement of the anthem for a 16-piece orchestra - the only arrangements available by Tams-Whitmark or any of the music publishing companies that furnish sheet music for orchestral/chamber performances are arrangements copyrighted by SONY - here's how they get the "Ka-Ching".

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC