8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Last releases on Kodak pre-striped?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Last releases on Kodak pre-striped?
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 03, 2011 08:12 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was trying to recall when Kodak pre-striped stock was discontinued and examples of the last new releases that were initially available on this, so if anyone can remind me, I'd be grateful. Although there are of course plenty of prints from after this time that have good sound, I expect most collectors would agree that you couldn't really beat Kodak's striping in terms of consistency and quality, although of course we didn't see the substantial amounts that they reportedly threw away due to it not meeting their quality control standards.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2011 09:14 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

I' ve a print of Deranns Romancing the Stone on Kodak pre-striped stock.

As far as I know the first prints of Star Wars are also released on this filmstock. A good friend of me was the owner of one of this prints.

Hope this helps you.

Ralf Hoff

Cine 8-16 - the magazine for film making and film collecting
http://www.celluloidfilm.de

--------------------
Arbeits- & Interessengemeinschaft Celluloidfilm
Ehrenamtlich im Einsatz für das Film-Hobby

Cine 8-16
Das Magazin rund um den perforierten Film
www.celluloidfilm.de

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 03, 2011 08:16 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Ralf. 'Star Wars' was released in 1989 and having had a look at issues of FFTC soon afterwards, I found references in the June 1990 issue to pre-striped stock being discontinued and Derann's striping equipment being installed. The previous issue featured a review of 'Aliens', which I knew I had on pre-striped stock, but I expect most the prints in circulation are not pre-striped.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2011 05:10 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as I was thinking I have a print of 'Aliens' on Kodak pre-stripe. Needless to say it has a perfect re-recording on that wonderful stripe.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 04, 2011 07:06 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't quite understand heee. When you guys are talking pre-striped vs non pre- striped, is this only about sound quality or also picture/ print quality?

--------------------
Winbert

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 04, 2011 09:51 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm primarily talking about sound quality, or at least the potential for good sound. I'm certainly not saying that the sound after the end of pre-striped stock couldn't be very good, but there wasn't the same consistently perfect results, so I'm sure that in situations where a particular release exists on both types, nearly all collectors would opt for a pre-striped print, given the opportunity.

However, soon after the end of pre-striped, all Derann releases were printed on Agfa stock until the switch back to Kodak about 9-10 years ago, although it's debatable whether that had implications for print quality.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC