8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » star wars empire 200ft BLACK AND WHITE (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: star wars empire 200ft BLACK AND WHITE
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 17, 2012 09:05 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watching this in b/w, you can almost imagine it's a 1950s film!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2012 06:24 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for recording that black and white print of ESB.

Watching this movie on black and white film really gives the movie a different atmosphere, and a neat one at that. It does have a sort of 50's feel to it, but mixed in with more modern elements too.

I noticed that there are no subtitles, which leads me to believe that Ken Films didn't want to have to make another negative and have to superimpose the words over the picture. I imagine it was cheaper to just make cassettes.

I remember when all the local camera shops were liquidating their super 8 package movies in the 80's. After all the good stuff was gone, there was usually a couple of 200 foot, black and white, silent "Star Wars" prints left. Nobody wanted them! I even remember the guy who worked at one of the stores was practically giving them away. I was thinking, "Why in the world would anybody want Star Wars in black and white, and silent??

I'm kicking myself now. [Roll Eyes]

James.

Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2012 09:49 PM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Skujins - but when played at 24fps the reel is only approx 6 1/2 mins long... hmmm I played it at 24 and it does seem better however haha my bad!

This black and white really does give a completely different feel. And with no sound you really pay attention to the details.

Does anyone have a digital copy of the cassette??

--------------------
All your films belong to me :) just kidding, we can shares!

Matt Villagomez
Junior

- posted January 23, 2012 08:24 PM      Profile for Matt Villagomez   Email Matt Villagomez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a copy of the cassette and if you'd like I can send it to you. I have a copy of Empire but the film has deteriorated so much it's not even worth watching. However, I have the full color sound version and don't know if there are different scenes between the two versions.

--------------------
It's 1 o'clock and time for lunch

Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2012 09:42 PM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Matt for sending me the cassette!

DISCOVERY!!!!! This actually isnt the same as the COLOR Version!!! Now that i have the sound for the film, they dont match up. In fact, there is not much of the astroid scene in the color version. The entire astroid scene is in this version i think if im not mistaken. Nevertheless, the black and white without sound stripes are different than the color versions that are meant to be played with the cassette!

So i guess you can say... this is a different version than the other color 200ft versions

It is also around 6 mins in length not 8!

--------------------

Matt Villagomez
Junior

- posted January 27, 2012 09:48 PM      Profile for Matt Villagomez   Email Matt Villagomez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony, you're welcome. Too bad they don't match. [Frown]

--------------------
It's 1 o'clock and time for lunch

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 28, 2012 12:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very interesting! TWO different Empire Strikes Back 200ft versions!

(Bear in mind, however, that the color and sound version would appear shorter, asnd the black and white, might be perhaps run at 18fps, while a sound digest demands a 24 fps speed)

That makes that B/W version even more collectible. I did admire the edit of that 200ft version. Very well done.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 29, 2012 12:44 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This raises the question whether there are other 200' releases where a silent version is longer than the sound one, even if played at the sound speed. I suppose it's likely.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2012 07:40 PM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah! @Matt its ok! It helped me out ALOT! what i did was cut up the cassette track on my computer and syncd it as best as i could to fit the black and white clip. Now my black and white has sound separately [Smile]

It is currently being uploaded to youtube and i will post the link to it here for anyone thats interested [Smile]

as promised, here it is: star wars Empire Strikes back, plus some history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQosG_wa2T8

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC