8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Are these Color & Sound (Terrytoon, Ken Films)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are these Color & Sound (Terrytoon, Ken Films)
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 01, 2012 10:09 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the below picture I cannot read anything but for you who familiar with this series, can you tell me if they are color and sound?

They are 200' films

-

thanks

[ February 01, 2012, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Grant Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 10:24 AM      Profile for Grant Fitzgerald   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of the Heckle and Jeckle films and it is B&W and silent but mine is only 50'.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 11:12 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Ken Films released these cartoons in both color/sound and b&w/silent. A sticker on the box should indicate which version it is.

An interesting note on these- All of the Terrytoon/Ken cartoons I own (about 10), still have great colors, amazingly. I wonder if Ken Films used different labs for the cartoons.

James.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 11:41 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a few color/sound super 8 Mighty Mouse cartoons new back when they were released; and the only color/sound label was on the outer wrap, not on the box itself. The Mighty Mouse super 8 200 footers were all available in color/ sound (except Frankenstein's Cat and Fight to the Finish), as were all the Heckle and Jeckle, Dinky Duck, and Little Roquefort cartoons. The two Gandy Goose films in the picture were only released in B&W silent super 8 versions. I don't know about the Deputy Dawg films. Winbert, better try to contact the seller to be sure.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 01, 2012 01:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should be noted however, that Terrytoons (which these are), tended to only be released in quick fade Eastman stock and it is VERY rare to find any with even decent color. The few with less faded iamge may have been printed that way from poor color sources to begin with. In my estimation, these are on the whole, terrible prints ...

However, There were some Terrytoon's (Mighty Mouse, Dinky Duck ect) that were released on/in Technicolor cartridges, and these tended to be printed on better stock! I have a Mighty Mouse, for instance, that has perfect spot on color, but it is quite scratched up as well.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 01:46 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Deputy Dawg cartoons were only released in B/W silent by Ken Films.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 01, 2012 03:10 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Joe and Carter,

Because you two confirmed that Gandy Goose and Deputy Dawg were only released silent, so I can guess that the white sticker with red writing on both films does not say anything about sound.

Therefore the other boxes with the same stickers are also silent.

Am I right?

--------------------
Winbert

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 03:16 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, you're right. My Heckle & Jeckyl 200ft "House Busters" has a sticker with

COLOR
SOUND

printed very prominently near the top end of the cover and curving over the edge. I would assume those films shown in the picture are all silent.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 01, 2012 03:43 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DONE....

Everyone is interested with them, there are 17 reels (mixed super 8mm and std 8mm, some are sealed) for $20 without any bids and ....at not too common category for super 8mm.

To avoid bidding war, PM me if you want the link.

--------------------
Winbert

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 04:25 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken Films used the rectangular sticker with red lettering to indicate "Super 8."

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC